musician

Gothic Metal Classic "Angels", Covered By TARJA TURUNEN

OliviaRodrigoStan

Featured Posts

OliviaRodrigoStan

In preparation for their upcoming tour, symphonic legends Within Temptation and Tarja Turunen have exchanged covers. A week ago, the dutch titans released their cover version of "Until My Last Breath" by the finnish soprano. 

Today, it is the green eyed diva's turn to return the favor, and she covered no other song that Within Temptation's classic, "Angels": 

The band is set to embark on a tour to promote their 8th studio album, "Bleed Out", with Turunen joining them on selected dates as a guest musician. 

tarja-sharon.jpg?fit=736,458&ssl=1&w=640

I cannot begin to describe how absolutely floored I am with this cover. Not only "Angels" is one of my favorite songs by Within Temptation, but Tarja already performed it once in 2017, with Sharon, and the recording's quality was so bad :franminervini:

It was also an acoustic medley with "I Walk Alone", and I wanted a full cover TBH :madge:. I hope they duet this on the tour :bradley:

HEART OF EVER-FROST

Darcklighter22

Had a small Nightwish phase in my teen years so I imagine they have a similar sound? Haven't checked out there new stuff since Tarja left. But in due to dip my toe in the genre again. 

Any stand out albums you'd recommend?

• Love 1

OliviaRodrigoStan
3 minutes ago, Darcklighter22 said:

Had a small Nightwish phase in my teen years so I imagine they have a similar sound? Haven't checked out there new stuff since Tarja left. But in due to dip my toe in the genre again. 

Any stand out albums you'd recommend?

From the genre in general, I could recommend any of Leaves' Eyes albums with the original singer, Liv Kristine. Particularly their "Symphonies Of The Night" album, which is in my opinion their best, and revolves around the concept of historic feminine figures, both fictional and real: 

Epica is also a huge name in the scene, and I would say "The Divine Conspiracy" is a great place to start with their discography. "Never Enough" is arguably their catchiest song ever: 

Then we have of course Within Temptation, which is a mainstream act in their country. I think either their albums "Mother Earth" or "The Heart Of Everything" would be the best choice to give them a chance. Mother Eearth in particular has a lot of charming songs, if you can get past the low budget videos: 

Another relevant name would absolutely be After Forever. They disbanded long, long ago, but their music stood out, mainly because of their vocalist, Floor Jansen. 

She eventually became the Nightwish singer, she is currently their lead vocalist, but I personally do not find the material they've released together to be particularly impressive. I would much rather recommend you her work with After Forever. Probably their self titled, and last, album, "After Forever", is the best one for you to check out. It is their masterpiece, IMO: 

Of course Nightwish original singer, Tarja, went on to release numerous solo albums, and she's made a name for herself on the genre. I would say her best album for a beginner would be "What Lies Beneath": 

Those would be the most accesible names, albums, and songs, from the genre. They lean heavily on the symphonic aspect too. 

If you want any recommendations that lean more towards the gothic side, just let me know 😌

HEART OF EVER-FROST