news

The Joker FAD Box Office Thread

Future Lovers

Featured Posts

Future Lovers
Just now, Monstermilo said:

remakes never do as well as the first film and honestly the joker character is so overplayed - really wish Gaga had picked a different project to focus on. 

Well this isn't a remake, it's a sequel. And second sequels almost always do better than the previous (given the previous film had a positive reception). There are a handful of second films that have done worse than the first, but that sample size is not large. 

The vast majority of franchise's highest grossing films are one of the sequels and not the original. I can't think of many series where the first film is the highest grossing of them. 

Future Lovers
5 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

@Future Lovers How would you say promotion of the film has been handled so far? In my opinion it’s been on the sparse side for what I considered to be a blockbuster. Do you think this could be an early sign that WB is being conservative with how much more money they’re willing to spend on the movie? Deadpool and Wolverine was everywhere months before it hit theaters. Beetlejuice and Wicked also felt more heavily promoted. Do you think it’ll ramp up now that we’re less than a month away or is this film just too somber and dark to promote at such a large scale?

Okay a few questions in here so I'll answer them broken down. 

1. I think the promotion has been consistent in output, but messy in execution. They're selling this as a Joker sequel rather than what the film is about. That's not an uncommon move per say, but it does suggest when married to what we are seeing about how they're directing the cast and crew to speak about it that Warner is trying to keep the plot as far away from audiences as they can for as long as they can. 

2. No, I don't think Warner is being conservative at all with their spend on this. In fact, I think they've spent way too much on it. Not only is the actual budget 4x the budget of the first film, it's estimated that the marketing budget saw a similar increase from the first film. This is the largest investment they've shown a movie all year and one of the largest in their recent history. 

3. You will start to see more direct marketing across the next few weeks. Talk show appearances, more constant TV spots, you're already seeing internet ads significantly increasing. The film has been pretty heavily marketed so far, but not as directly as we've grown used to. It's trailer has been attached to several high profile releases and there's been a lot of public promotion such as billboards, posters, and print ads. Now is the time that we're gonna see things on our social medias and seeing the cast start to do more in person press. Expect to start seeing interviews coming out from press junkets, cover stories, and late night appearances. 

• Like 2

Future Lovers
3 minutes ago, Starmie25 said:

So much negativity already. Lessss gooooo, I guess.. :poot:

Oh make no mistake, I am personally still excited to see it. But I can't make the facts not be what they are. 

• Shook 1

River

Can I be honest, musical or not musical, I'm really really not in the mood for 16 songs, it's really a deal breaker for me, I could resist to ASIB because the music had a reason to be there, but still, I got bored when the songs hit the 1 minute.. I think the majority of the people, especially the superheroes and comics fans thinks the same.

It might be an amazing film, but the concept is not really inviting and them trying to "unmusical" it, feels forced and sometimes kinda offending the viewers intelligence.

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • Like 7

mamo

I predict Joker 2 will gross between $500-800 million at best.

While a Joker film would typically be expected to cross $1 billion easily, the fact that this sequel is a polarizing musical will likely impact repeat viewings, especially among fans of the original. Its divisive plot and artistic choices make it a significant risk.

I also don’t believe this film was designed to be a blockbuster, despite featuring such a well-known character. Todd Phillips has taken a major gamble with this approach, and while I do commend him for taking such a creative risk, I’m not sure it’ll pay off like the first one did. But it’s still early days so we’ll see I guess. 

you can serve it to me ancient city style...
  • Like 1

Hyperobject
5 minutes ago, Real Panda said:

I hope it will do $1.2 billion at the box office. 😫

I’ve heard that the movie will be released in China? so hopefully that will help them pull bigger numbers worldwide! 

• Love 1

Phantomhive

Guess it explains why i saw 2 separate moots on twt 2 days ago posted how first day showing at their local theater hadn't sold a single seat. I can't believe our worry at the beginning was whether or not the film will cross 1b and now the film might even potentially flop :saladga: How often do those early projections turn out to be true particularly for blockbuster films?

In I fly on wings of winter.

Stephen

Some movies like Alien Romulus are allowed to open modestly and attract more audiences in their 2nd or 3rd weekends by word of mouth. Other movies like Joker must open huge or have massive tracking and 90+ on RT or else they're preemptively labeled failures.

Unfortunately FAD comes with a built in hatebase:

Lady Gaga haters
Joaquin Phoenix haters (worsened by his recent controversy)
Todd Phillips haters
Haters of the first Joker
Film twitter (who hate Todd and the first Joker)
Marvel-loyalists who hate DC
Snyder-loyalists who hate DC
General audiences who are tired of DC
Musical haters
People rooting for competing films to "win" either at the BO or awards

All these people aren't the reason for the bad RT score, but they amplify it. They wait like vultures ready to desecrate the movie's public image and holler from the rooftops how Joker is a commercial and critical failure. It's exponentially more difficult for any movie to organically grow in peace while it's being suffocated by a hate mob.

I'm still optimistic because I loved the first movie, I love DC and I love Gaga. There's almost no way I'm going to dislike it. And if it's good, we just have to trust that people will notice. But at this point I'm prepared for the countless celebratory posts dancing on its box office grave no matter how enjoyably the movie actually is. Even if it performs "fine" they will call it a disaster.

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

MadArchitect

ppl on the first page, you're all wrong, and your wigs will be teleported to mars when you see how this movie will smash the same way the first did or close, a lot of things said are not facts

MadArchitect
5 hours ago, Future Lovers said:

2. No, I don't think Warner is being conservative at all with their spend on this. In fact, I think they've spent way too much on it. Not only is the actual budget 4x the budget of the first film, it's estimated that the marketing budget saw a similar increase from the first film. This is the largest investment they've shown a movie all year and one of the largest in their recent history. 

Todd confirmed that the budged of the movie reported by the press was not real and it was "ridiculous", the budged was significantly higher than the first but not that high

• Thanks 1

ChromaticaBoy
4 hours ago, River said:

Can I be honest, musical or not musical, I'm really really not in the mood for 16 songs, it's really a deal breaker for me, I could resist to ASIB because the music had a reason to be there, but still, I got bored when the songs hit the 1 minute.. I think the majority of the people, especially the superheroes and comics fans thinks the same.

It might be an amazing film, but the concept is not really inviting and them trying to "unmusical" it, feels forced and sometimes kinda offending the viewers intelligence.

I’ve watched it in Venice and it doesn’t feel forced or boring at all! Actually the musical parts are super fun and are artistically, scenographically and directorially beautiful. And as I said before, I don’t even like musicals normally. I hope people won’t make up their mind on this movie based on critics’ reviews. I woundn’t even care about reading too much from them in these days because that would change the way I see it. I’m so glad I got to see it before all this.

• Like 2

Galagala

Everything went down since those bad debut reviews... Joker 1 at least won Golden Lion.
Even I lost much interest since then.