Best Actress

Nicole Kidman for Babygirl

Best Actor

Vincent Lindon for The Quiet Son

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Sad 1

Real Panda

Does this affect Gaga's chances for an Oscar? Are Actors/Actresses that win at Venice win Oscars?

• LMAO 1

mamo
5 minutes ago, Real Panda said:

Does this affect Gaga's chances for an Oscar? Are Actors/Actresses that win at Venice win Oscars?

It honestly depends how Joker as a film is received now (although it seems like consensus is mixed-negative atm) and also how competitive the best supporting actress category is this year. 

I'm afraid the awards propsects aren't looking too good atm but there's still a long way to go. However I'm pretty sure Joker will get technical nominations like cinematography, production design, make-up and hairstyling, costume design etc. 

you can serve it to me ancient city style...
  • Thanks 1

Gagaism
8 minutes ago, Real Panda said:

If her acting really stands out she could have a chance to get a supporting actress nom. I just feel like the final product and the campaign isn’t helping so far. Based on reviews and thermometers so far we might have a decent boxscore but I’m not expecting big noms at awards season tbh. 

• Like 1

Cameltoe Chariot

I honestly think part of the reason LG7 was delayed was because they knew this movie was gonna be underwhelming, and the Haus decided to capitalize on the initial press for it and redirect the attention to LG7… which is exactly what seems to have happened here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ricardo
12 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

I honestly think part of the reason LG7 was delayed was because they knew this movie was gonna be underwhelming, and the Haus decided to capitalize on the initial press for it and redirect the attention to LG7… which is exactly what seems to have happened here.

makes sense but I hope the movie does good 

Reality
1 hour ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

I don’t think the movie is “underwhelming.” It’s divisive. Some critics love it and some hate it, but that was very much the reception of the first movie. Joker wasn’t universally praised despite the fact that it made over a billion dollars and got tons of Oscar nominations. Gaga and her team knew that when they decided to do the film.

From what we know of LG7 so far, it seems like a “dark” album, so the October release date makes sense. It doesn’t have to do with Joker 2. Plus, if she really wanted to divert attention away from Joker, she might as well just release the whole album in October too, but that’s not what she’s doing. On the contrary, she’s using the Joker 2 (and DWAS) hype to get people excited about LG7. 

🃏🖤👹

androiduser
2 hours ago, Real Panda said:

Often they're not even nominated, because the Oscars also consider dozens of movies that didn't premiere in Venice. There have recently been a few Volpi Cup (Venice) Best Actress winners who went on to win an Oscar, but there are more examples of winners who weren't even nominated at the Oscars. That said, Gaga is slowly being removed from predictions for the Oscar.

Edited by androiduser

StrawberryBlond

I think this was to be expected considering FAD is a sequel. It's always harder to get accolades for continuations as there's an overriding sense of "it's unfair to award the same thing over and over" in the academy's minds. The Venice Film Festival has never been an indication of what wins at other major awards, it very much marches to the beat of its own drum. 

2 hours ago, Real Panda said:

Highly unlikely. Barely anyone who wins the cup for best actress goes on to win an Oscar. It can lead to a nomination but rarely a win. Penelope Cruz won in 2021 for Parallel Mothers but it was one of the very few awards she won for that role, she didn't win any of the major ones. It was widely speculated that this win was what got her the surprising Oscar nomination that year, which seemed to be the spot that Gaga was expected to be in for HOG. Many fans speculated that the academy just didn't want Gaga there for some reason. The last actress to win the award plus an Oscar was Olivia Colman for The Favourite in 2018, Emma Stone for La La Land in 2016 and before that, it's few and far between.