Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
question

Where did Perfect Illusion go wrong?

Nycboy

Featured Posts

RodeckDanny

the timbre in the chorus, especially in "love" is not very appealing if you ask me

I love it cause I love gagz but i'm thinking as GA

Edited by RodeckDanny
Listen to my debut pop single 'Want You Bad'! (link on Insta)
  • Like 1

Decodekid

The expectations were high, and the sound of the album was so uncertain we didn’t know what to expect.

I remember we were preparing ourselves for something low tempo, then the song was announced with these bright colors, we thought it might be pop, then it came out and it was a bit unexpected, not bad, but def felt different.

I think we were all trying to process it based on our own expectations. If we might’ve had some sort of idea of the album sound, I think it would’ve been received better by us. Also, Perfect Illusion itself was misleading for the Joanne sound tbh :nooo:

And honestly I don’t think the world was anticipating Gaga, she had cleaned her image but there wasn’t much hype, she kind of regained that GP attention after Superbowl 

Long Live Gretchen

27monster27

1. She barely promoted the song.

2. She was coming off of a period in her career considered to be an underperformance. She didn't have as much momentum compared to even post-Born This Way.

3. The song was experimental for the 2016 music soundscape.

he/him/his
  • Love 1

rinasawachanta

I remember detesting it as soon as it came out. Of course, many of us were expecting a dance track back then. But what bothered me the most was the production. It seemed rushed, it lacked "parts", the chorus sounded uninspired... The bridge was practically inaudible. I always thought that the song would benefit a lot if it had more "air", not all so cluttered. Or if the base had some disco elements, maybe along the lines of I want your love (without losing the rock core). Or if it exploited a more eighties vein, like Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer (I need a Gaga album in this direction). Having said all that, today I think it's a great track and one of Joanne's best. I do think Diamond Heart would have been a more interesting choice.

Edited by rinasawachanta
  • Like 2

Cerny

It’s just irksome and monotonous tbh. A brick-wall of belting, hollering and strained, yet squeaky volcals and unnatural vocal affectation accompanying a poor melody from beginning to end. It’s completely overkill. Having 2 back to back annoying af lead singles has been rough, suddenly miss missy can’t pick a good lead.   :selena: 

If someone found a rat that could talk and tried to exploit it, PI would be the rat’s song. Short lived career, poor things.

Madame Goo Goo

I love this song but I still question why it was even on Joanne much less the lead single

Lady Gaga doesn't owe us anything

Battle 4 Ur Life

if not even the fanbase supported it, who would?

it’s the sound literally NO ONE was expecting/wanted from Gaga, (even tho strong) it did not showcase her vocals in a radio friendly way. the energy, lyrics and vibe of the song are too personal and come from a place of sorrow, lamentation. it’s definitely not the sound she’s known for.

video took a whole week to come out. the hype died as soon as the song came out pretty much because nobody was expecting that especially with that title.

with all these in consideration I think it actually did decent. and I actually really liked it when it came out and even more today but I was in fact disappointed then just because it was the lead single and I knew it wasn’t gonna be a hit.

“Stupid Love aged like Macallan tho”
  • Like 1

crazygato

Because this deserved to be the singles line-up: 

1. John Wayne 

2. A-Yo

3. Million Reasons 

Perfect Illusion is a 3 minute (but oddly satisfying)  scream that shouldve been a  promo single only. 

doppelganger

It's a little loud for radio. Too short to be fully enjoyable. P

The synths are amazing but NGL I like Kevin Parker's demo more ... 

artd0me

It’s still my favorite song of hers…

Yes it is loud, it’s aggressive, it doesn’t give you s break to breath and it is not ear-friendly

and those are all the reasons why I love it, it puts me in a highly energized state

(plus it came out during the beginning of my Erasmus semester so a lot of good memories are associated with it)

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

Scar97

I think there is a great song in there. I actually love the production. The chorus needs reworked. The pronunciation of “lauhve” needs to go away. The bridge is perfect 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Starmie25

Scared to read the comments since I know how divise "Perfect Illusion" was and it's the song that made me a fan, not an air conditioner :poot:

Edited by Starmie25