💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Mariah Carey is fighting back against the $20 million copyright infringement lawsuit

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Mariah Carey says the $20 million copyright infringement lawsuit targeting her massive holiday hit “All I Want for Christmas Is You” should be wrapped up in her favor without a trial.

In a new motion for summary judgment filed Monday, the singer says her expert’s evaluation of her 1994 yuletide anthem found that it shares no “substantial similarity” with any protectable elements of the 1988 song of the same title written by co-plaintiffs Andy Stone, a country musician known as Vince Vance, and his co-writer Troy Powers. Predictably, experts working for Stone and Powers determined the opposite. A hearing on the matter is set for October 31.

“Like legions of Christmas songs before them, Vance’s and Carey’s lyrics include the idea of wanting someone for Christmas rather than presents or other trappings of Christmas,” Carey’s new motion for a court judgment in her favor reads. “But it is fundamental that copyright only protects expression of ideas, not the ideas themselves.”

The lawyers further argue in the new filing that the title and repeating hook “All I Want for Christmas Is You” is a “commonplace” Christmas phrase not invented by Vance. “At least 13 songs predating Vance use that phrase or a very similar one,” the new filing in federal court in Los Angeles reads.

The lawyers argue that the other Christmas “tropes” included in both songs – such as “mistletoe,” “snow,” “Santa Claus,” “stockings” and “underneath the Christmas tree” – are public domain elements “randomly scattered” through the compositions in different ways.

Cockroach of GGD

Mirrion Rizzons

As she should

The artist of the 1988 song has had 29-30 years to complain but has only now decided to take legal action over a song that shares just the title and nothing else 

weed

She's gonna fight fight fight fight fight that lawsuit

doja scat

these khia artists coming out of the woodwork because they need a cute coin…

don’t get stabbed with the (b)rat tooth
  • Sad 1

ARTPOPKISS
3 minutes ago, doja scat said:

these khia artists coming out of the woodwork because they need a cute coin…

DO NOT COME FOR MOTHERIAH :patrizia:

F@ggotry at its finest

Red

I want for Christmas is JUSTICE

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

dimitristhe

That's the reason Mariah started recording all of her studio sessions after Emotions. To prove that she didn't copy anyone. Show them the tapes Mimi. 

When we're not together tell me everything's gonna be alright
  • YAAAS 1

doja scat
30 minutes ago, ARTPOPKISS said:

DO NOT COME FOR MOTHERIAH :patrizia:

noo i meant the people suing artists like mariah bc they want a quick payout im sorry i should’ve worded it better :messga:

don’t get stabbed with the (b)rat tooth