music news

Katy Perry to receive the Vanguard Award at VMAs, according to Trisha Paytas

Teletubby

Featured Posts

SOON
52 minutes ago, BULATIO said:

just vanguard, not triconic award :cheeky:

and this...

difficult-to-get-not-everybody-has-that.

gaga, halsey, lorde, taylor, dua

HelloHangoverz
Just now, NATAH said:

i really do hate to say it cus i loved her back in the day but her music became walmart mom music so fast i- :traumatica:

i feel like rhi and beyonce were the last winners who weren't flopping :traumatica:

azealia banks referred to it as hotdogs and heartburn music :air:

sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • LMAO 4

LateToCult
1 hour ago, gemein3 said:

She should have Dr. Luke present her the award — defend your artistry up there, Katheryn!

How self-serving and perfect for her. 

It’s giving “that’s your family” from the iconic dinner with the Kushners quote. 

TortureMeOnReplay
1 hour ago, Jack3257 said:

As much as I want Gaga to win this award at some point, I think Katy deserves to receive hers first.

Music videos have always been a strong point for Katy.  While Gaga certainly has iconic ones, the only one that was iconic in the last decade was 911.  Even if Katy has a so-so song, chances are it will have a great music video (look at literally any single from Witness).  During COVID, Katy still pushed the boundaries with visuals for Smile, and while she was pregnant!

I’m not the biggest Katy fan, but she deserves this.  I also think she might use this as an opportunity to announce the release of her professionally filmed release of “PLAY” (which I also have to say looks amazing).

Meanwhile Gaga is considered the herald of music videos in the modern era. People stopped caring about music videos since MTV started moving away from it in 1992, and Gaga brought a lot of that culture back. Aside from the buzz about Gaga's provocative nature, a lot of talk was focused on the choreography in her videos, and she very much revived choreography within music videos. I would even dare say Gaga hastened the popularity of Youtube at the time. Everybody, including Katy and Nicki, very much copied Gaga in hopes of riding that wagon, and that included her cinematographic endeavors. 

• Like 6

Pretty Savage

She doesn’t have iconic videography. Swish Swish, Woman’s World, Roar, Dark Horse are so cringy they should give her Cringeguard Award

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 2

Juanjo

From the artistry standpoint, she deserves. Her videos, for the most part, were fun. I still don’t feel bad for her flopping. 

HelloHangoverz
2 minutes ago, Pretty Savage said:

Swish Swish

Most cringe video in existence hands down

sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place

Teletubby
6 minutes ago, Pretty Savage said:

She doesn’t have iconic videography. 

she has.

Cockroach of GGD
  • Like 1

Just A Holy Fool

Gosh, her team is working overtime to save this era. 

GagaGame
15 minutes ago, Pretty Savage said:

Roar

The song in general is cringe

LG7? CANCELLED
  • Thanks 1

elijahfan
2 hours ago, SOON said:

Well it's an award mainly focusing on Music Videos so it's kinda fair. Wish the music in the videos were good enough too, which is the part that bugs me :enigma:

Let's not fool ourselves, it's mainly a promo slot: her album comes out the week following the VMAs.

SOON
Just now, elijahfan said:

Let's not fool ourselves, it's mainly a promo slot: her album comes out the week following the VMAs.

yeah but let's not fool ourselves, they might've probably scheduled the album release according to VMA's too

gaga, halsey, lorde, taylor, dua

StrawberryBlond

If this is indeed true, this is the worst possible time for it. It's like when the Oscars don't award an actor at their peak to the point where they end up giving them the award for a role that really wasn't all that and there were better choices that year but it was a case of now or never. This will really compound everything that's going badly for her right now, the tension in the audience is going to be unreal and viewers will speculate if she paid for it. Katy's videos aren't even that great - they're all so campy and cringey for the most part which doth not a good video make. Just because it had a popular song attached to it doesn't mean the video is good. The One That Got Away, Wide Awake and Chained To The Rhythm are about the only videos she has that are any good. The fact Gaga still doesn't have this award is criminal.