💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Rocksteady (No Doubt) Appreciation Thread

27monster27

Featured Posts

27monster27

Hello everyone! I've been doing another one of my discography journey's as of late, and as I briefly mentioned in a reply a few months ago I am doing No Doubt/Gwen Stefani for this one. In my fifth week I reacted to Rocksteady and IMO it's the best album from this yet. Each album of theirs got better for me, and I enjoy this one the most. What really made me love this album was the unexpected nature of it. When I heard that it was "more commercial" I was think of that in a rock sense, but I was surprised to see some work from William Orbit, The Neptunes, and Prince. This album definitely feels like a bridge between Ray Of Light (and a bit of Impossible Princess) and In The Zone.

Here are my top five songs:

"Hella Good" (Definitely In The Zone vibes, specifically "Showdown")

"Hey Baby"

"Detective" (I LOVE this one so much)

"Start The Fire"

"Waiting Room"

-

Overall this is a fantastic album and I am very excited to get into Gwen Stefani's solo material.

he/him/his
  • Love 5

Ophelia

This was my favorite ND album when I was a child! I loved going through the special edt bonus material, there was a MV and a short documentary when you've launched the CD on PC.

Definitely their first more pop-oriented album and also this is when their reggae influences started to shine through for the first time. My favs always were Detective and In My Head :heart:

...has anybody seen my disco stick?

River

RS the song is one of my favorites of all time, the gloominess, nostalgia and the bittersweet vibes about love makes this song hit so hard, I LOVE the album but lyrically it's their weakest, my favorite is still Return of Saturn

@ChicaSkas @Franch Toast you will like this thread :gayhat:

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • Love 1

Jigglygoth

Upon release I really disliked this album. I grew up with a the more ska-oriented No Doubt, and during my pre-teens when this was released, I was already into darker stuff like Garbage, and Evanescence, so this pop-rock approach didn't really do much for me. 

I also found "Hey Baby" to be a very irritating single, the chorus got on my nerves :awkney:. Now, decades later, I can appreciate some of the tracks from this era. 

"Hella Good" is a great song, that I can still enjoy and listen to, occasionally. 

EDIT: AND RUNNING! I think "Running" is the only song from this album that I really loved, right away. Someone made this edit of Sabrina and Harvey, with that song, and it's CINEMA :bradley:

Edited by Jigglygoth
HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • Thanks 1

Killa

Hella good was Always a bop but It felt like they sold out tĂČ the 2000 pop back then. 

Hella good Is good but now relistening It, its so dquarish. A bit of a less pop perfection would have been Amazing. It contrives the soul of the band full of charisma

And like It happened before the chorus repeats hundred times. The Song gets really annying

Killa
1 hour ago, Jigglygoth said:

Upon release I really disliked this album. I grew up with a the more ska-oriented No Doubt, and during my pre-teens when this was released, I was already into darker stuff like Garbage, and Evanescence, so this pop-rock approach didn't really do much for me. 

I also found "Hey Baby" to be a very irritating single, the chorus got on my nerves :awkney:. Now, decades later, I can appreciate some of the tracks from this era. 

"Hella Good" is a great song, that I can still enjoy and listen to, occasionally. 

EDIT: AND RUNNING! I think "Running" is the only song from this album that I really loved, right away. Someone made this edit of Sabrina and Harvey, with that song, and it's CINEMA :bradley:

This. Garbage was lit sexy cool evetything 

And they come with this come my baby knock off, with no substance. I mean It doesnt click even if It makes your hips move ahah

• Like 1

hieronymus

This album completely changed me as a person (a little 10 year old person lmao) upon release. It's like my mind exploded and expanded, and I started enjoying different kinds of music. It was literally like a musical gateway drug. I started getting really into Björk and Nine Inch Nails and Missy Elliott. My mental epiphany, like HOLY CRAP. MUSIC CAN SOUND LIKE THIS?! Before this I guess I just listened to whatever and didn't have much thought about it. Idk it's been almost 2Âœ decades. 

Anyway, it's a cute album. I think Return of Saturn is better.

Edited by hieronymus