music news

Upcoming Florence Music

Roughhouse Dandy

Featured Posts

Roughhouse Dandy

Florence Welch has created 20+ songs for the new musical GATSBY: An American Myth which is about to finish its world premiere run at American Repertory Theatre in Cambrige, Massachusetts. 

facebook.png

Smart-Select-20240802-160436-Reddit.jpg

As compared to the Great Gatsby-based production currently playing on Broadway, GATSBY: An American Myth is a dark, grounded adaption encapsulating class struggles chipping away at the veneer of a silver-gilded country. 

240525-Gatsby-P1-182-F-Julieta-Cervantes

From entire-ensemble numbers about the need to escape the dusty reality of life with hooch-addled, industrial beat thumping underground parties to powerful big-band solo songs detailing the difficulties conforming into high society with a broken heart and big secret; Florence's contribution adds up to a phenomenal concept album faithful to The Great American novel while retaining a sound that is singularly Florence. 

Seeing as it is the world premiere and has many, many big names in the industry attached to it, all signs point to a Broadway/West End transfer. Whether it be a solo project ala Anais Mitchell's original Hadestown or a full cast effort, an album release is imminent.

For a small hint at what some of the vibes are, here is Florence's contribution to Baz Luhrmann's film adaption:

How are we feeling about this, Legends? What do we hope to hear from a Jazz-Age Florence?

Edited by Roughhouse Dandy
This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • YAAAS 8
  • Love 3
  • Shook 2

Roughhouse Dandy
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anderson123 said:

Can she win a Tony Award for this ? Legend.

If/when it transfers to Broadway (probably after Playhouse-Gatsby closes), she'll be eligible for a Tony! And without knowing who she'd be up against, I'd be more than happy to see her get it. The music is incredible. If it was just a Florence + the Machine concept album, it'd be my favorite of her projects by a long shot. 

• Shook 3

Nessun Dorma

I’m excited about it! I read a review which said Flo’s score oscillates between the indie rock sound from Florence + The Machine and a pop infused Broadway music. Sounds very promising! The review also said it lacks a poetic flair, but I chose to ignore this part :ladyhaha:

• Like 1

Roughhouse Dandy
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nessun Dorma said:

I’m excited about it! I read a review which said Flo’s score oscillates between the indie rock sound from Florence + The Machine and a pop infused Broadway music. Sounds very promising! The review also said it lacks a poetic flair, but I chose to ignore this part :ladyhaha:

Since they've been adding and subtracting songs through the run, I'm not sure what they heard that I didn't. Indie rock? Yes, absolutely. From typical Florence to NIN-esque instrumentation. 

Pop-infused? I didn't hear that. There are one or two songs that get into Broadway territory with a tap number or call and response, but other than that it doesn't sound like anything Broadway has heard. 

And the poetic flair was definitely there when I saw it. There were a few big moments where things get very literal and stark to focus on what's happening, but the lyrics not quoting the novel were at the very least up to par for her typical writing. 

Nessun Dorma
1 hour ago, Roughhouse Dandy said:

Since they've been adding and subtracting songs through the run, I'm not sure what they heard that I didn't. Indie rock? Yes, absolutely. From typical Florence to NIN-esque instrumentation. 

Pop-infused? I didn't hear that. There are one or two songs that get into Broadway territory with a tap number or call and response, but other than that it doesn't sound like anything Broadway has heard. 

And the poetic flair was definitely there when I saw it. There were a few big moments where things get very literal and stark to focus on what's happening, but the lyrics not quoting the novel were at the very least up to par for her typical writing. 

Well I read the review in June, so maybe your impressions were different due to the adjustments through the run. In fact I like your thoughts better, it’s good to know the songs are not too Broadway and I’m glad the lyrics are as good as Flo’s previous writing! Also it’s intriguing how a story from the jazz-era embodied the indie rock sound. 

Westerosi

There is literally nobody, other than Lana, who is better-suited for this job.

Both artists played an integral role in the soundscapes of Baz Luhrmann's adaptation.

I cannot wait to hear what she does. 

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
  • Love 1