Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Sam Smith portrait unveiled at London gallery

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

b803b120-4f37-11ef-b2d2-cdb23d5d7c5b.jpg

Sam Smith has said it was "an honour" to have a painting of them unveiled at the National Portrait Gallery in central London.

The work, called Gloria, is part of the singer songwriter's own collection and shows them sitting in heavenly surroundings playing a harp, while wearing angel wings designed by JW Anderson.

The artwork was created by art duo Pierre Commoy and Gilles Blanchard, known as Pierre et Gilles, who have used painting and photography to depict celebrities such as Kylie Minogue, Madonna and Naomi Campbell.

It will join pictures of singer Harry Styles, Pride In London co-founder Peter Tatchell and race campaigner Baroness Doreen Lawrence in the new History Makers gallery.
source

Cockroach of GGD
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 6
  • Love 9

Didymus

It's beautiful but "History Maker"? I don't think.

Edit: After seeing who else is in there, I guess it's just a lame gallery.

Edited by Didymus

Locke
5 minutes ago, Didymus said:

It's beautiful but "History Maker"? I don't think.

They probably believed what he said about being 'the first openly gay man to ever win an Oscar'

• Like 3
  • LMAO 1

Gorehound

As a UAL graduate, art scholar and painter myself, I can honestly say this is a bit of a catastrophe, and right up there with King Charles' III recent portrait. If fact I'd say it's worse.

But I suppose it does successfully capture Smith's campy ludicrousness. (Guess art will forever be subjective).

Edited by Gorehound
I'm fine, Ta
  • Like 1

weed

It was giving me graphic design is my passion until I read they physically painted all of that on a photograph and I’m gagged. Looks digital to me

• Like 1

IWantYourLove

The artist duo is obviously talented and I LOVE their other work but didn’t even recognise it as theirs bc I thought this was photoshop at first, but that piece is objectively awful +ugly I’m so :billie:

Edit: the aesthetic concept is gorg, the execution and choice of actual detailing is… not. Its giving glittery clip art 2000s gifs

second edit: I REALISED WHY I DONT LIKE IT it looks like a wannabe David LaChapelle piece that misses the kitsch and aesthetic mark, so it just looks off 

Edited by IWantYourLove
  • Like 1

HelloHangoverz

I like it :cryga: What's wrong with it?

sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • YAAAS 1

SimonBaetens

Looooove Pierre et Gilles and them working with Sam makes a lot of sense.

when you're lonely, I'll be lonely too
  • Thanks 1

David Ward
3 hours ago, Didymus said:

My aunt painted these

elijahfan
2 hours ago, Gorehound said:

As a UAL graduate, art scholar and painter myself, I can honestly say this is a catastrophe, tasteless and right up there with King Charles' III recent portrait. If fact I'd say it's worse.

But I suppose it does successfully capture Smith's campy ludicrousness. (Guess art will forever be subjective).

While it's ok not be familiar with the work of Pierre & Gilles, it's a bit more alarming to be completely unable to interpret it. Especially as an art scholar and painter who's stanning a woman who once portrayed herself as a motorcycle hybrid on an album cover.

Gorehound
11 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

While it's ok not be familiar with the work of Pierre & Gilles, it's a bit more alarming to be completely unable to interpret it. Especially as an art scholar and painter who's stanning a woman who once portrayed herself as a motorcycle hybrid on an album cover.

I am somewhat familiar with Pierre & Gilles work, and I'm sorry but bad art is bad art. And I've never shied away from voicing my opinion when Gaga does bad art, and the og BTW album cover is a good example.

But please do me the honours of interpreting this piece I'm interested. Their description of it as aiming to "mix reality, daily life, dreams and fantasies" is very vague.

Edited by Gorehound
I'm fine, Ta