💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Do you agree with this take about a gay Love Island?

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

• BUtterfield 8 changed the title to Do you agree with this take about a gay Love Island?
NATAH

i mean love island itself already draws criticisms for only platforming people with certain body types, i can't imagine a gay version doing any better

it's trash tv all around and expecting it to provide any sort of positive representation is just not gunna happen :rip:

mother, what must i do?
  • Like 2

Didymus

Those shows actually proved that straight people are just as gross if not more so than the clichés of gay wh-res :billie:

• Like 3

imnotyourbabe10

That’s an interesting point. A few thoughts. 

I agree with the other posts. This sounds like it would also be criticized in the vein of the hetero counterparts.

Also, there is nuance to gay lived experiences that are continuously reified by social interaction and construction. It breaks my heart to see the binary thinking, misogyny, internalized homophobia, racism, etc. that permeates our queer circles. (And to the other end, not being queer enough or performing the identity in an “acceptable”). 

I don’t know the show well enough, but I wonder why queer people would want to participate in some garbage produced by the dominant group (rich straight Hollywood?). For the sake of visibility or equality? Eek. 

Lastly, don’t most of us know these shows aren’t reality? Why are we still consuming these products that say one thing while our daily lives offer us a different experience?

RenegAde

It will definitely not be a cute look for us but that should not validate homophobia. 

• Like 2