💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Critic’s Opinions: Woman's World

palma

Featured Posts

Gorehound
10 hours ago, 27monster27 said:

I get the trippy comment and I agree with it, but specifically the lyrics one rubs me the wrong way. She has very unique lyrics but calling them nonsense is a bit harsh imo.

I agree but I don't think it's meant as an insult, but more just another aspect of Gaga's weirdness. To the casual listener a lot of her lyrics wouldn't make much sense since they're often very colourful and full of metaphors and word-plays. 

"I want your vertigo schtick" / "rah rah, ah ah ah"

"one second I'm a Koons then suddenly the Koons is me"

"I'm not lying, I'm just stunnin' with my love-glue-gunnin"

"Skeleton guns or wedding bells in the attic"

"I'm on the edge of something final we call life tonight"

Etc.....

We all know what her lyrics mean because we're fans and have spent time with the songs and listened to her explaining them in great detail. And remember that Gaga is foremost a pop musician, and pop in general is not a good example of a sophisticated use of language. Quite the opposite actually.

Edited by Gorehound
I'm fine, Ta
  • Like 1

Future Lovers
16 hours ago, Bradley said:

t's not even that bad.

It is that bad. The lyrics are some of the worst of her career and the production is lazy and uninspired. The only thing it's got going for it is the chorus melody. 

But the real kicker here is that it's impossible to remove the song from the context that it exists in. It's a tone deaf, half-baked attempt at doing a women's empowerment anthem when the artist in question is making a lot of decisions that go against that narrative. The video for the song almost plays like satire of women's empowerment. It's getting negative reviews not just because the song isn't that good, but because the whole purpose of the song is an absolute try-hard, embarrassing bit of desperation to get a hit and some positive words all the while a rapist made it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Future Lovers
13 hours ago, RenegAde said:

Honestly shame on them, they really didn't need to degrade her like this..you'd expect some tact from a semi relevant publication but I guess this is what you get when you start hiring your interns from stan twitter.

No, sorry, Katy deserves every bit of this. You don't hire a known rapist to make your women empowerment song and then get to hide behind the defense of they shouldn't talk about a female artist that way. She did this to herself, and it's absolutely completely time and appropriate for every horrible thing she's done to get laid out and aired. 

Even beyond the song, this video is insane. I don't doubt she perhaps intended to say something positive but we've actually got here are a bunch of things that make it look like she's inviting you to laugh at the idea of feminism. She's standing at a urinal pulling at her wedgie. She's shaking her breasts into the camera in slow motion. She's riding around in a massive truck smearing her makeup all over her face. 

It comes across as if she's taking the piss out of the whole idea of a woman being empowered by taking a whole bunch of tropes about men and instead putting a woman in and saying "hahaha isn't that funny and weird?" That's not empowering, and it demonstrates a strong lack of understanding what feminism's actual goals are. 

But I'm not surprised.

Katy has proven herself to be a horrible, horrible person. Horrible people do not deserve to be treated with the same courtesy everyone else does. She degraded herself. She put all of these topics on the table. 

Nobody made her hire a rapist to produce her song. No one made her sexually harass a teenage boy on TV. No one made her inappropriately touch young male singers on the red carpet. No one made her promote a right wing politician and then vote for her. 

She did all that of her own accord and escaped judgement for a while. Now it's all coming back to bite her. 

There are artists, especially women who get unfairly talked about by critics and publications. Katy is not one of them. She made her bed. 

Edited by Future Lovers
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 8

I think Stupid Love is pretty decent song but I still don't want to see anyone, especially mediocre artist like Katy Perry, copying it. Woman's World is confused and crude mess that lack coherence and common sense. I especially like how Katy is singing about women's rights while women in the video are just causing chaos, acting like rednecks, and randomly destroying everything.

• Like 1

Not The Real Gaga
7 hours ago, Future Lovers said:

It is that bad. The lyrics are some of the worst of her career and the production is lazy and uninspired. The only thing it's got going for it is the chorus melody. 

But the real kicker here is that it's impossible to remove the song from the context that it exists in. It's a tone deaf, half-baked attempt at doing a women's empowerment anthem when the artist in question is making a lot of decisions that go against that narrative. The video for the song almost plays like satire of women's empowerment. It's getting negative reviews not just because the song isn't that good, but because the whole purpose of the song is an absolute try-hard, embarrassing bit of desperation to get a hit and some positive words all the while a rapist made it. 

Isn't that literally the point of the video? :oprah:

The reviews aren’t wrong but they do feel eager to attack. To me, I’d rather no review than a clickbait-y, made-for-viral review. It just feels like just as much a product as the song they’re reviewing rather than anything substantive. It’s that Alyssa Edwards slamming the notepad down moment.

but again as I said, the song is bad lol this is not a fan saying this. I just find reviews like these to be so indebted to public opinion and parroting that opinion for verification of credibility

Emigrante
7 minutes ago, lastpopicon said:

satire about feminism while simultaneously working with dr.puke is a... choice :bradley:

It’s like she was that prepared for backlash, she even recorded a response to it beforehand. And girls behind her are all like “just nod and smile y’all :ally:

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.
  • LMAO 2

19 minutes ago, lastpopicon said:

satire about feminism while simultaneously working with dr.puke is a... choice :bradley:

why did this feel like a really forced gagavision

mother, what must i do?
  • LMAO 6

On 7/12/2024 at 12:20 PM, palma said:

With its pulsating synths and steamroller chorus, “Woman’s World” is clearly modeled on Lady Gaga’s 2020 single “Stupid Love,” a brazen return to form that successfully launched Gaga into the second act of her career. There seems to have been a miscalculation, though: “Stupid Love” worked not because of its sound but because it took the core elements of Gaga’s music—slightly nonsensical lyrics, acid-trip concept, a general struggle with vowels—and turned them up to 11. It’s mystifying why Perry would have chosen to mount her comeback with a vaguely political song—you just get the sense that she just doesn’t really like or care about this stuff.

its nearing half a decade now and chromatica gets referenced everytime someone else releases new music, even if they're hating. Chrom was a great album and even if its on a smaller scale than before and even if she doesn't care herself, Gaga influences trends.

Also, pitchfork giving stupid love its well deserved flowers, an amazing song that wouldn't have been so hated if it didn't leak. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Louvre said:

its nearing half a decade now and chromatica gets referenced everytime someone else releases new music, even if they're hating. Chrom was a great album and even if its on a smaller scale than before and even if she doesn't care herself, Gaga influences trends.

Also, pitchfork giving stupid love its well deserved flowers, an amazing song that wouldn't have been so hated if it didn't leak. 

Chromatica is kinda the blueprint for female popstars who wish for a return-to-form dance album no it's true. I drag the album sometimes because despite some gorgeous moments some tracks feel half-baked but Gaga is always ahead of the curve.

olivia-wilde-nod.gif

• Love 1

lastpopicon
2 minutes ago, Louvre said:

Her most cohesive work. Sure, I can concede it's far from her best album, but in a vacuum it is a GREAT album. 

Plus, it gave her a #1 hit, #1 album and critical acclaim, monsters were disappointed because it wasn't the most Gaga album ever, but I feel we should start to appreciate Chromatica more, it was a good chapter for her, and it'd be even better if Covid didn't happen.

The melody that you choose can rescue you
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, lastpopicon said:

Her most cohesive work. Sure, I can concede it's far from her best album, but in a vacuum it is a GREAT album. 

Plus, it gave her a #1 hit, #1 album and critical acclaim, monsters were disappointed because it wasn't the most Gaga album ever, but I feel we should start to appreciate Chromatica more, it was a good chapter for her, and it'd be even better if Covid didn't happen.

exactly, its a stable in her discography and I think will be more appreciated as time goes on. I think it will continue to be referenced and with every Gaga album released in the future monsters and music fans will grow more fond of chromatica.

Also its interesting to think that Gaga putting together a cohesive album isn't always as good as when shes all over the place with a completely chaotic track listing. Imo ARTPOP is her lease cohesive, which is actually kind of a strength for the album. BTW and TFM both have the perfect mix of absolute chaos and cohesiveness. 

• YAAAS 1