đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Chappell cites "Alejandro" for spoken word inspiration

ChicaSkas

Featured Posts

JessFletch

Chappell is talented, spunky & fun, but she is no Gaga.

She has no Just Dance’s, no Poker Face’s and No Paparazzi’s in her debut album. She has ONE big song (Good Luck, Babe- which was NOT on her debut album) and even THAT song is not “early Gaga” level.

She has a quirky sense of style and a flair for the dramatic, but she has less stage presence while performing, and a different approach to music in general. That isn't a bad thing.

I want her to succeed, but by over-eagerly hyping her up (when she doesn’t have much to show for herself YET) we are setting her up for failure & unfair scrutiny moving forward.

We should be supportive without calling her “the next Gaga,” “Gaga’s daughter” etc.

⚫️
  • Like 5

Monstermilo

would love to see them duet  - i dont think they are that similar but love hearing her mention Gaga several times and singing BR on her tour is iconic

Honestly, she feels more inspired by Electra Heart-era Marina than Gaga, but I think it's cool that yet another Gaga stan is getting fame! Talent and Taste wins again! 

• Like 1

Ladle Ghoulash
1 hour ago, JessFletch said:

Chappell is talented, spunky & fun, but she is no Gaga.

She has no Just Dance’s, no Poker Face’s and No Paparazzi’s in her debut album. She has ONE big song (Good Luck, Babe- which was NOT on her debut album) and even THAT song is not “early Gaga” level.

She has a quirky sense of style and a flair for the dramatic, but she has less stage presence while performing, and a different approach to music in general. That isn't a bad thing.

I want her to succeed, but by over-eagerly hyping her up (when she doesn’t have much to show for herself YET) we are setting her up for failure & unfair scrutiny moving forward.

We should be supportive without calling her “the next Gaga,” “Gaga’s daughter” etc.

“doesn’t have much to show for herself yet” is wild lmao. She pulled a bigger crowd than Ed Sheeran at Boston Calling, has 4 songs in the Billboard Hot 100 rn, her album is #8 on the Billboard charts, and her monthly listeners have gone from 1.5M in April to 20.9M in June. She’s, pretty objectively, exploding. If you feel the Gaga comparison is premature or inaccurate, that’s fine, but I don’t think you need to downplay her successes as a means of saying that she doesn’t scratch that itch for you lolol. 

Edited by Ladle Ghoulash

lastpopicon
1 hour ago, Togekiss said:

What did she actually say? Instagram is being homophobic and won’t let me watch without an account. 

A twitter link.

The melody that you choose can rescue you
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoy Chappell a lot, I think she’s very talented and has great potential, I’ve been a fan since Pink Pony Club which remains one of my favorites from her but I have to be honest, I don’t see or hear Gaga in her either. I really don’t mind Gaga comparisons if they are appropriate, I am not the kind of fan to be unreasonably protective like that, but I simply don’t see it with her and it’s unfair that the ones who do want to portray us all as either bitter or similar to MDNA fans just because our opinions differ.

I personally think some fans forgot Gaga’s early performances and maybe should revisit them because when I hear that Chappell’s Jimmy Kimmel performance is compared to them in terms of stage presence and theatrics I can’t help but be confused... I am not saying Chappell is bad but she is definitely not as good and exciting as Gaga was. I know that the bar for popstars has been low ( not necessarily talent wise but overall package & presentation ) this past decade so I wonder if people aren’t just too easily impressed to jump to such comparisons. I think Chappell gives me more early Marina musically than Gaga, Good Luck Babe! gives me major The Family Jewels vibes in terms of some production choices and especially vocal delivery wise, her operatic singing reminds me SO much of Marina. And this is not shade, Marina is in my top 3 artists alongside Gaga, so please don’t view my take as a downgrade or shade because it’s not at all.

If the music doesn’t sound similar, the themes and subjects explored aren’t similar either, the concepts & visuals are a no too, the performances in terms of stage presence & choreos aren’t alike, then what is in order to be compared so heavily? The fact that she’s also a drag queen? How is that enough and how doesn’t that reinforce my point that the bar for popstars is so low that the moment someone gives choreo she is the next Britney Spears ( Tate ) and when someone gives drag she’s the next Lady Gaga? I’m not convinced but again, I do enjoy Chappell and am looking forward to her evolution, she says she is inspired by Gaga and that makes me happy even if I don’t really see it. Maybe it’s about nuances and maybe she has more to offer in the future which will prove so and if that happens I will be happy to see it. As I said, I don’t mind Gaga comparisons they just have to make sense, remember, even Gaga said Britney inspired her, but did we actually see it in her in order to compare? No, so maybe it’s the same with Chappell. 

Edited by moonsago
  • Like 1
  • Love 1