💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Emma Roberts Says Nepo Baby Discourse To Be More Female Focused

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Emma Roberts is weighing in on the “nepo babies” debate. 

During an interview on the Table for Two with Bruce Bozzi podcast by iHeartMedia, Roberts reflected on how there are “two sides of the coin” when it comes to the nepo babies discourse and many are bound to “have preconceived notions of you.” Roberts is the niece of actress Julia Roberts and daughter of actor Eric Roberts.

“People like to say, ‘Oh, you know, you have a leg up because you’re a family in the industry.’ But then the other side to that is, you know, you have to prove yourself more. Also, if people don’t have good experience being to be with other people in your family, then you’ll never get a chance,” she said.

Roberts explains that because “everybody loves the kind of overnight success story” if “you’re not the girl from the middle of nowhere that broke into Hollywood” there’s “an eye roll of like, ‘Well, your dad was this.'”

“I always joke I’m like, ‘Why is no one calling out George Clooney for being a nepo baby?’ [His aunt] Rosemary Clooney was an icon. Young girls, I feel like, get it harder with the nepo baby thing. I don’t really see people calling out you know, sons of famous actors. Not that they should be called that. I don’t think anyone should be called out wanting to follow their dreams,” she added.

“People kind of only see your wins because they only see when you’re on the poster of a movie. They don’t see all the rejection along the way,” Roberts explained, adding that she has always thought it was important to be candid about the things she’s auditioned for and didn’t get the part for. “I think it’s important to talk about because otherwise people just think, ‘Oh, you know, everything’s been so great and linear and easy, and it’s like, no… not at all. But of course it looks like that to the outside perspective or to the naked eye.”

Other Hollywood stars have also spoken out about being labeled as nepo babies including Maya Hawke, Lily Allen, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Maude Apatow. (All are women)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/emma-roberts-nepo-baby-criticism-1235933600/amp/

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ with birds I share this lonely view (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

HelloHangoverz

No nepo baby will ever convince me they made it due to hard work. Putting effort in is not the same as the hard work required when you have no connections.

Does anyone think global warming is a good thing? I love Lady Gaga. I think she's a really interesting artist.
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

CautiousLurker
18 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

People like to say, ‘Oh, you know, you have a leg up because you’re a family in the industry.’ But then the other side to that is, you know, you have to prove yourself more.

As opposed to... people having no opportunity to prove themselves at all because they don't have the right contacts - at least she has the other side to speak of :cyanlights:
Also, do they have to prove themselves? Cuz I don't think they do, I think it's very much a personal thing - you may want to prove yourself, but the next person might just collect cheques and live carefree

• Like 3

I mean, she's not wrong she says that the conversation surrounding nepo babies is mainly focused on women. There are plenty of male nepo babies that don't get half the attention that women do. It also seems to be a younger-celebrity thing. Nepo babies have existed since Hollywood started, but I don't know why people are talking about how "problematic" they are now

Idk, I just think the whole conversation is pointless. Is it fair that Hollywood prioritizes people simply based on their family and who they know? Not necessarily. But again, that's how the industry has worked since the beginning. Whether people like it or not, someone's success in the entertainment industry mostly depends on who they know, not their talent. There are thousands, probably millions, of talented people in the world who'll never get the opportunity to make it big.

🃏🖤👹
  • Like 5

Guillaume Hamon

Imo it's not about genders it's about times.

Now folks are over it but female nepo babies of George Clooney times and earlier went away with it like he did:

Melanie Griffith, Angelina jolie, Carrie Fisher, Mariska Hargitay, Sofia Coppola, Drew Barrymore, Jane Fonda, Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Marie Presley, Janet Jackson, Kate Hudson, Mia Farrow, Gwyneth Paltrow, Asia Argento...

Edited by Guillaume Hamon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Roughhouse Dandy

I think the nepo babies need to accept the criticism and get over it. You have the name and resources to get your foot in the door where you can start getting rejected until someone takes the chance on you; everyone else works their a*s off to make it to that point and then still has to get the 1000 no's before they hear a yes. 

You got a leg up. You started the marathon at the halfway point. You can't help that. So? You're in a position to complain about it and get it released in a publication when other no-names are still worrying about their bills. Just let the no-names complain. Let them have something. 

But leave the actual children out of it. I'll roll my eyes at the nepotism hires when they can vote. 

Edited by Roughhouse Dandy
This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I don't mind nepo babies, it has always been a thing, what pisses me off is that the famous parents shoves their kids into every production, with a minimal effort from the kids, and they end up showing up how lack of talent they have... like North West at the Lion King thing.

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

bpmMonkey

Love how most people here just ignore once again the point haha. We all know children of famous/rich people are favored in every industry, there is no point to discuss here. 
the point that is of interest is that yet again misogynistic bs is being accepted, reproduced and of course not challenged in this forum lol :bye:

Edited by bpmMonkey
  • Like 3

I like how she spoke to this. Very balanced.

The whole subject is delusional. Just a bunch of teens trying to sound smart while they want to keep investing in the fake Hollywood industry anyway. There's plenty of outsiders showcasing their talent in other arenas who could use their support but they're too lazy to actually find and support them. They still want to be spoonfed by the industry and just make faux intellectual, "anti-capitalist" demands to soothe themselves into thinking they're better than what they're consuming. It's a joke.

It's good that these lines of thought are dripping into young people's awareness but, so far, the results on mainstream discourse have been hilariously inept and it's hollowing out the entire left, to the benefit of conservative chauvinism.

Edited by Didymus
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

djBuffoon

She’s not wrong in the slightest that the conversation leans to women way more often than men. And the ones that come to mind are no less talented than their male colleagues. Just your run-of-the-mill misogyny.

Having said that, I don’t rate Emma much as a actor and unlike plenty of other women of privilege (Jane Fonda, Jamie Lee Curtis, Patricia Arquette, etc) I don’t she’d have any chance of a career were it not for her parents. 

I like Maya Hawke's take on this:

"I feel like the only way to handle the nepotism thing – which definitely gives you massive advantages in this life – is, you will get chances for free, but the chances will not be infinite; so you have to keep working and do a good job. If you do a bad job, the chances will stop. That’s my ethos."

• Like 3

PunkTheFunk

If I was a nepo baby I would just say "Yes, I was afforded privileges because of my family. I believe in my talent and I do work hard, but I also think having connections helped immensely. If I had the same level of talent and work ethic without my connections, I don't know if I would have made it in this industry." And just leave it at that without all the mental gymnastics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guillaume Hamon
12 hours ago, bpmMonkey said:

Love how most people here just ignore once again the point haha. We all know children of famous/rich people are favored in every industry, there is no point to discuss here. 
the point that is of interest is that yet again misogynistic bs is being accepted, reproduced and of course not challenged in this forum lol :bye:

Male Nepo babies take crap too nowadays ( Jaden Smith for example is constantly called out on it, more so than Emma Roberts) so she just use it as a deflection.

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1