💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

The Gaga & Madonna drama

GagaGame

Featured Posts

GagaGame

So, I'm kinda a new fan (2017 lmao) but I've never understood that drama. Can someone explain it to me? I don't mind if it's long, I would preffer it that way tbh

Stop Telephoning me!

DitaDolla

Off topic but I’m also a fan from 2017 and I always think that I’m a new fan

2017 was 7 YEARS AGO:messga:

• Like 2
  • LMAO 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 6

Decodekid

Gaga was heavily compared to Madonna since The Fame. Madonna took it personally through the years as Gaga was constantly called the new queen of pop. Tbh the comparisons were a bit accurate at times but who cares. Time passed, Madonna got over herself :vegas:

Im Harol don't tell anyone
  • Like 11

River
5 minutes ago, GagaGame said:

So, I'm kinda a new fan (2017 lmao) but I've never understood that drama. Can someone explain it to me? I don't mind if it's long, I would preffer it that way tbh

2 minutes ago, DitaDolla said:

Off topic but I’m also a fan from 2017 and I always think that I’m a new fan

2017 was 7 YEARS AGO:messga:

grandmas

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • LMAO 7

GagaGame
4 minutes ago, River said:

grandmas

Very Funny Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Stop Telephoning me!

Lucas

There were many comparisons of Gaga and Madonna in the press. At first Madonna seemed to like Gaga and said that Gaga reminded her of herself when she was younger.

Then when Born This Way was released, all the press was saying that Gaga ripped off Madonna's Express Yourself. Madonna did an interview and kind of shaded Gaga. Then Madonna went on her MDNA tour and performed a medley of Express Yourself/Born This Way and She's Not Me (I think the title of the song speaks for itself). Gaga said that Madonna was threatened and scared that someone would take her throne and that she has her own throne already.

After that the feud kinda faded away but Gaga brought the subject back to the table in 2016 during a radio interview (where she said stupid stuff I gotta say) and again in the 5'2 documentary...

And now we don't really know what happened but they seem to be in good term and Madonna invited Gaga to her Oscar party etc...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Gorehound
Posted (edited)

I've never been able to keep up with it honestly. One minute they seem to like each other, the next at each others throats. 

Gaga definitely spat some venom about her during the Joanne era (Zane Lowe interview and Five Foot Two doc), then they're photographed at an awards ceremony a couple years later cuddling so idk 

All seems a bit shallow to me ngl

Edited by Gorehound
I'm fine, Ta

Chlorine Sevigny
Posted (edited)

There was no drama at the beginning, Madonna was a fan and even went to the Fame Ball with Lourdes. They also had an appearance together on SNL poking fun at a "rivalry."

maxresdefault.jpg

Everything changed with Born This Way though as people accused Gaga of ripping off Express Yourself. Gaga fibbed and said she had Madonna's blessing... (timestamped)

Also Gaga thanked Whitney Houston that year at the Grammys for inspiring Born This Way instead of Madonna, which seemed deliberate given the comparisons taking place.  

Then Madonna said this now infamous and iconic comment which made the feud official:

After that Madonna did a mashup of Express Yourself / Born This Way / She's Not Me shading Gaga

Gaga talked about it in 5'2

And also with Zane Lowe

However, it's now widely accepted that Madonna and Gaga are on good terms: 

Lady-Gaga-Celebrates-Her-2019-Oscar-Win-

Edited by Chlorine Sevigny
  • Like 10
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 6

Gorehound

tbf don't most celebs dislike Madonna anyway? She certainly doesn't come across as a very nice person.

I'm fine, Ta
  • Like 9
  • Shook 1

Raven Stone

I found the whole thing at the time to be a bit confusing.

Gaga was obviously referencing Madonna and even paying homage to her. For example, the final scene in BTW video. The Madonna teeth! This, to me, was such an obvious sign of respect, even or maybe especially because it was while all the comparisons had already started.

Gaga constantly reveals the nature of art as a continuation of all the art that has come before. The ARTPOP era in so many ways, was about this. I think Gaga made clear in Applause and G.U.Y. video the importance of history and the evolution of art.

I was very upset with Madonna!! Still a tender spot, tbh.  

My grammar is so meh, thanks.

~ let god (ur deep self) whisper how ~
  • Like 7

Gorehound
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Chlorine Sevigny said:

Madonna literally looks like she's thinking  "Juuuuuust one good twist annnnd SNAP."

Edited by Gorehound
I'm fine, Ta
  • LMAO 19
  • Shook 1

NATAH

seems more press and fan fueled more than anything

i think madonna had a bit of fun with it since she's an industry vet whilst Gaga, a fresh face, tried not to take it personally but probably got sick and tired of the constant questions more than anything (hence the candid moments during 5F2 and zane lowe)

she's just trying to make her art but the media was obsessed with the comparison game

mother, what must i do?
  • Like 2

Lucas
2 minutes ago, Gorehound said:

tbf don't most celebs dislike Madonna anyway? She certainly doesn't come across as a very nice person.

Madonna has a dark/weird sense of humor, her being shady isn't meant to be taken seriously at all.

• Like 7

Bronco
18 minutes ago, Gorehound said:

I definitely don't get the impression "most celebs dislike" her. 
But she's 1000% marmite. And is absolutely a diva. 

I mean Elton John hates her with every fibre of his being & Cher seems entirely apathetic towards her existence at this point but otherwise there's no stand outs lol

• Like 1

ThisGuyTony

Gaga was the “new Madonna,” per the media.

Everything she did was compared to Madonna.

They even said Perfect Illusion sounds like Papa Don’t Preach. :icant:

They are completely different artists tho. Only delusional Madonsters continue to think that, as they continue to run hate accounts from their retirement homes AKA PDLM.

ezgif-2-ec311f9697.thumb.gif.59e06e8c503

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1