💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

Teletubby

Featured Posts

bpmMonkey

…. gonna say it: it’s more entertaining than poets. At least it’s groovy and bouncy :oops:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Whigney Houstan
1 hour ago, bpmMonkey said:

…. gonna say it: it’s more entertaining than poets. At least it’s groovy and bouncy :oops:

Nothing will put me to sleep quite like that album.

• Love 1

dollardays
Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 12:30 AM, MelbHawker said:

I think the issue I have with this album is that the instrumentals are so.. bland. It’s pop, but there’s no personality or anything distinct about it. Her vocals are really great, but the instrumentals just let the albums vibe down.

Exactly the opposite of what made FN work so well (even if most songs were basically more of the same the instrumentals were fresh).

Don’t get how they didn’t realize that was crucial for this one. 

Edit: this album is actually quite solid?

Edited by dollardays

Scar97

I love Falling Forever, but it sounds like it should have been on Rina Sawayamas last album

• Like 2

Anderson123

So where is Rolling Stone’s review of Radical Optimism? They had Poets’ 5 star review out 10 mins after it came out. 

• Thanks 2

bowlsofbrett

I always believe it’s best to let an album sit with you for a few days before fully forming an opinion. My first listen has been pleasant. It’s a chill, summer-esque, sandy beach vibe. “These Walls”,  and “Whatcha Doing” are great standouts so far! I think the weakest song on the record is “Anything For Love.” 

It’s a decent pop album. It’s not going to change pop culture or anything, but it contains enough cute tracks to vibe out while you’re poolside with friends, drinking a fruity cocktail.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Plastic Flower
26 minutes ago, Anderson123 said:

So where is Rolling Stone’s review of Radical Optimism? They had Poets’ 5 star review out 10 mins after it came out. 

Isn't the writer a Taylor stan?

Drop it
  • Like 2

Anderson123

Houdini, Training Season, Falling Forever, These Walls, Watcha Doing, Illusion and Maria are my jams. 

GIF by BET

• Like 2

Ladle Ghoulash
3 hours ago, bpmMonkey said:

Ridiculously low bar lmao

• Like 1

Whigney Houstan
Posted (edited)

Honestly, with a review like that I'm surprised by that score.  Girl went in.

I quite liked the album.

Edited by Whigney Houstan

Morphine Prince

The singles are the best songs… 

• Thanks 1

Ronnie

Welp. The album title was spot on. She sure was optimistic to say the least. :icant:

• Like 1
  • LMAO 4

bpmMonkey
1 hour ago, bowlsofbrett said:

It’s a decent pop album. It’s not going to change pop culture or anything, but it contains enough cute tracks to vibe out while you’re poolside with friends, drinking a fruity cocktail.

Very much this and I’m totally fine with it. Her voice is nice, the album is coherent but not every song sounds exactly like the one before. 
I hope she’s happy with it, I’ll probably stream it for a week or two and won’t be mad if it comes up on shuffle every now and then after. ☺️

• Like 1

River
5 hours ago, Opulence said:

I really want to know what happened with this album behind the scenes, she was talking so much about leaning into psychedelic production with Kevin Parker but it’s all basically tropical EDM - wonder if the label pushed a new sound after Houdini dropped

what is weird is that she talked about Kevin so much but he's not even the main producer but it's Danny L Harle.

I feel like there was such a big clash between the people who worked on it, Danny comes for PC music, Kevin is psychedelic, while the main writer Caroline Ailin is very pop and R&B.. it's like a big mix of different sounds, trying to merge together.

I think the "problem" lies with Kevin, people just don't get psychedelic music and especially Kevin's one, RO suffers from the same thing that caused PI to flop, the psychedelic part in them is misunderstood, looks strange, and the minimal involvement of Kevin in the songs is pushing his sound to be a strange sound inside a generic pop song that tries to be edgy but it just doesn't work, because at the end, his sound is getting lost in the whole production.

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta