Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Did you expect Taylor’s level of success for Gaga back then?

Aren

Featured Posts

Trigger

Taylor is a success because she knows her brand. It's not about being an artist per say, it's about maintaining something that's consistently relatable, innocent enough that it's radio-friendly and accessible to the GP of all age groups, while having a mystique and sense of exclusivity that no other artist can replicate in the same way. Taylor has her own mythos in that way. These are all the components that make her so huge, meanwhile her competitors are trying to have it all: individuality, a message, being influencers and being daring. The reality is, in doing that, you sacriface things that could make you bigger. :oops: Taylor manages to accomplish every single one and make a brand out of that consistency.

You think the GP are gonna understand Gaga singing so unrelatable, polarising, confusing, and hard-to-digest (for the average radio listener) as Aura or MANiCURE? :laughga: People might enjoy that and it might indeed become a hit, but the reason songs like Poker Face and Bad Romance were so successful was because they were easy to understand, catchy, and at that time everyone wanted to know who Lady Gaga was and understand the mystique (not unlike Lana Del Rey, who has always milked the mythos aspect to gain her following, and does it so well!). She was in interviews being cryptic and giving wild answers. Does Taylor even do interviews anymore? People have to dig through her lyrics like they're puzzles! And that makes her more interesting.

So, that's my opinion. If Gaga could write something similar to TTPD (with non-cryptic, relatable lyrics more in the vein of 911), have fully-fledged eras that appeal to a younger demographic, and lessen the political messages and kindness speeches, that's a good start. Right now she acts like a veteran (despite being, what, only three years older than Taylor?) in the industry with nothing left to offer besides lipsticks and embarassing Stupid Love-esque songs with Epione-sponsored visuals made almost exclusively with a niche gay male following in mind. :saladga:

Edited by Trigger

SimonBaetens

No. But that's not a bad thing. Also, the industry has changed dramatically since Gaga first started out.

when you're lonely, I'll be lonely too / https://www.last.fm/user/SimonBaetens

holy scheisse

i mean in my mind, she was a groundbreaking impossible to measure up to force for a good while there in the beginning. :heart: didnt know how big she'd become, but she was and will always be the biggest star to me :heart:

but also, reading some of these "my fav is holier than thou" comments in here.... lets not act like Gaga hasnt been spending the past decade trying to appeal to allll demographics, jhust like taylor does lol.. 

Micmaky

I know right now Taylor is huge but keep in mind she’s receiving an insane amount of backlash too. Anyone who writes a song about their mum wanting someone dead and they hope their kid sings the song is not sane.
She has a huge fanbase that will buy 60 copies and only stream Taylor every 24 hours but I wonder bout the extended GP who seem over her. 
Also, regarding Gaga, Joker 2 could be the highest grossing movie of the year, Gaga could win an Oscar, a song from the movie could breakout and be a huge hit, her next album does really well. I’ve described best case scenarios but they are all within the actual realm of possibility. I wouldn’t rule out Gagas 3rd imperial phase post ASIB

Bowman

Taylor is a singer who tries to makes music that appeals to the GP and always has done, her music is safe and nothing groundbreaking and unfortunately there’s a lot of people in the world who love easy relatable music and that’s why she’s dominating the charts and streams. I’m glad Gaga has not become what Taylor has. I’d hate it if Gaga became like Taylor, it would be sad to see. And not to be disrespectful but I do think Gaga is the real artist here.. I’m thankful for that

I’m kinda grateful that Gaga isn’t the number 1 artist, I’ve always wondered why anyone would even want that for their fav.

I think it makes her more special as we are probably a smaller community but one of the strongest and loyal fanbases in the whole pop world…

Edited by Bowman
𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉
  • Love 2