Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Lana Del Rey at Coachella review – a disappointingly lifeless start to the festival

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Del Rey has become an icon for the dour and terminally online, in no small part to her well-known shtick: being too cool and half there. Unfortunately, her signature laconic delivery just didn’t work for such a big stage, and came off as unprepared rather than unbothered.

Ongoing mic problems plagued her set the whole way through, causing awkward stops, starts and moments where she just motioned for the singing crowd to pick up the slack for her.

Her pitchy, faltering vocals were reminiscent of her disastrous 2012 Saturday Night Live performance, sometimes dubbed the worst in the show’s history. :lana:

Was this a headline act, or a hostage-proof-of-life video? A woman standing next to me and I burst out laughing at Del Rey’s lifeless delivery of the Summertime Sadness opening line “I’m feeling electric tonight” because, well, clearly she was not. Background dancers gave their all behind her, landing balletic, lyrical moves. At one point, when she attempted to artfully drape herself over one, it looked as if she might fall asleep right there.

It’s bad luck Del Rey had so many issues with her mic. But she can’t blame the lackluster scene on technical difficulties alone. When she brought out guest stars Jon Batiste and Billie Eilish, or even duetted with her background singers, their voices sounded rich and full, while hers sounded like what you hear at sorority karaoke night

The audience stayed polite, and diehard fans were going to have a good time anyway. About 20 minutes into the show, however, attendees started to leave early, and this stream of quitters did not end.

Edited by Teletubby
I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining
  • Like 3
  • LMAO 8
  • Shook 7
  • Sad 8
  • Thanks 1

BlingNotTheMusic

I mean, when she sang, her vocals were heavenly! Better than the record tbh. 

But yeah wbk Lana has no stage presence unfortunately. She's like a classic jazz singer though and her living in this world where she has to sell a show or whatever just may mean she doesn't fit that box.

Some people just ARE awkward and no amount of media training or choreo will fix that. She's always come off very intimidated by large amounts of fans and the whole tour thing in general. I think she'd be happiest just making music and not being forced to tour. 

Edited by BlingNotTheMusic
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Spartacus

Well... :reductive:

-𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐌𝐀™
  • Thanks 1

JohnDeWayne

I love her so much. But watching this just cemented my suspicions that my beloved Lana is not a live performance artist. She looked stunning and that entrance was magical. But the performance itself was beyond disappointing.

• Like 1

olive specter

girls that get it get it 

girls who don't don't

some people think circus show is the only thing worth watching, some people just like good music and it's enough

but i'm not surprised that people felt her show was boring, half of the audience probably listens to sped up songs because their brain is rotted by tiktok, it's coachella - what else can you expect

that's not lana's fault tho

• Like 10
  • LMAO 6
  • Thanks 17

JohnDeWayne
1 minute ago, olive specter said:

girls that get it get it 

girls who don't don't

some people think circus show is the only thing worth watching, some people just like good music and it's enough

but i'm not surprised that people felt her show was boring, half of the audience probably listens to sped up songs because their brain is rotted by tiktok, it's coachella - what else can you expect

that's not lana's fault tho

Babe, don’t be delulu. I have never preferred a sped up Lana song. She could have just stood there and sang all of her slowest deep cuts  with nothing but a piano and I would have been enthralled. But this was not one of her best performances. It just wasn’t. As the above reviewer stated, “Diehard fans were going to have a good time anyways.” And we did. But let’s at least be honest here. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Spartacus

Centennials and their favorite word.

-𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐌𝐀™
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 7
  • YAAAS 2

olive specter
6 minutes ago, JohnDeWayne said:

Babe, don’t be delulu. I have never preferred a sped up Lana song. She could have just stood there and sang all of her slowest deep cuts  with nothing but a piano and I would have been enthralled. But this was not one of her best performances. It just wasn’t. As the above reviewer stated, “Diehard fans were going to have a good time anyways.” And we did. But let’s at least be honest here. 

i didn't say it was her best show, and her fans having a good time, including you confirms what i said lol

people who get it had a good time, even tho there were problems

people who don't were falling asleep

if you were not falling asleep, why do you think i am talking about u

Edited by olive specter
  • Like 1

Spartacus

It is possible to stand in one spot, be understated, restrained and still command a stage. The only thing you need is the ability to sing live...

-𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐌𝐀™
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Naak Le Vaar

Maybe Coachella is the wrong stage for her. People there are high af and want something else. Lana could give the best performance of her life and people still wouldn't get it.

Lmao they blocked my signature
  • Like 6

Spartacus

:flutter:

-𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐌𝐀™
  • LMAO 1

Spartacus

@olive specter What's so funny? Surely you're not laughing at Sade while claiming that Lana's snoozefest should've been at least remotely enjoyable for anyone living outside Lana's colon?

-𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐌𝐀™
  • LMAO 3
  • Thanks 1

olive specter
10 minutes ago, SPARTACUS said:

@olive specter What's so funny? Surely you're not laughing at Sade while claiming that Lana's snoozefest should've been at least remotely enjoyable for anyone living outside Lana's colon?

i was laughing at u posting unrelated videos of a singer who you think is better, not the videos themselves - chill out lol

lana's colon? giirl xd

Edited by olive specter
  • Like 2

Controversiaga

I’m sorry but it’s LDR. Not Taylor or Beyoncé or anyone who will put on an upbeat spectacle

all Lana live shows are awkward and lifeless from what I’ve seen 

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”
  • Like 2