💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Todd Phillips confirms Joker 2 is not a musical, but music an 'essential element'

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

Phillips shared the news during Warner Bros.' CinemaCon presentation while finally speaking on the reports that said this second Joker film would be a musical. He said the team never really talked about Joker: Folie à Deux being a full musical, but that music would play a big part. Furthermore, he said the movie won't "veer" too far from the original and that Joaquin Phoenix's Arthur Fleck has always had "music in him."

https://www.ign.com/articles/joker-folie-deux-is-not-a-full-musical-but-music-is-an-essential-element-says-director

Probably similar to A Star Is Born, which is great news because it will be submitted to the Drama category at the Golden Globes, which is more prestigious than Comedy/Musical even if it shouldn't be the case.

Edited by Bradley
  • Like 11
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 8
  • Thanks 1

SEANGT

Looking forward to it, I think the level of music is just to my taste. As opposed to mean girls which was really hard to watch for me. 

Also, I really don't see a Joker film winning or being nominated in the awards circuit, but I could be wrong. 

• LMAO 1

Aglaya

I'm ready to stream the music from this non musical film asap :excited:

could mean anything
  • Like 4

Bradley
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SEANGT said:

Also, I really don't see a Joker film winning or being nominated in the awards circuit, but I could be wrong. 

Have you not seen how many nominations and awards the first movie got? It was recognised in almost all the major categories, not just acting.

Edited by Bradley
  • Like 8
  • YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 6

SEANGT
Just now, Bradley said:

Have you not seen how many nominations and awards the original got?

no :flop: lmao ok then. hope it sweeps

CatelynnMarie

I’m not kidding I feel like I’m going to throw up like, this movie is going to really be an experience that I’m unsure I’m personally even ready for. I can’t articulate it but, omg :nooo:

• YAAAS 3

JohnnyVersace

The trailer kind of shows the story in two realms - the two of them in the facility/breaking out and dream sequences that mirror reality in a very stylized way. So I imagine the music to be a big part of those dream sequences, which prob feels very organic.

• Like 7

Red

YAS G0RL gaslight the str8s

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
  • LMAO 14
  • YAAAS 2

Damon

I'm guessing music is getting a similar trestment as ASIB then

... and now i just sit in silence.
  • Like 2

elijahfan
51 minutes ago, SEANGT said:

First one was nominated for 11 Oscars and won 2, darling... :toofunny:

• Thanks 2

Illuminati

Whether it is or isn't a musical I'm sure they want to downplay the music aspect as much as possible because of the reception and the audience of the first movie. I wouldn't read too much into it

Massive Monster

Joker: Folie A Deux is NOT a musical. It is a feature film with a soundtrack and 15 songs/ musical numbers, a bit like West Side Story or Singin In The Rain, where the main characters dance and sing, in tribute to some of the great musicals of the 20th Century. 

:partysick:

Kind regards
  • LMAO 3

nkta
1 hour ago, Massive Monster said:

Joker: Folie A Deux is NOT a musical. It is a feature film with a soundtrack and 15 songs/ musical numbers, a bit like West Side Story or Singin In The Rain, where the main characters dance and sing, in tribute to some of the great musicals of the 20th Century. 

:partysick:

lol isn’t it literally a definition of a musical 😆

A Real Panda
28 minutes ago, nkta said:

lol isn’t it literally a definition of a musical 😆

Not really, the songs could be playing but the characters/actors are not singing it. 

Think of how songs are used in a TV show for example, a Pharell song is playing when someone wakes up in the morning or an Adele song starts to play when romantic characters break up.

Edited by A Real Panda