Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Albums Aged Badly

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

franminervini

You bunch of weirdos... bye :triggered:

Have you checked the Charts Thread today?!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anveeroy

• Nutella

• ARTPOPKISS

• River

Auther
19 hours ago, Auralegends said:

Chromatica aged like a fine wine. I would say The Fame :vegas:

The Fame expired for me in like 2016 - 2018. I just cannot return to that album.

Edited by Agunimon
  • Like 1
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 3

StrawberryBlond

The_E.N.D._cover.png

While all the BEP albums are pretty dated as Will insists on basing all his music around what's popular at the time, this is definitely the worst offender. No sooner had Gaga brought electro music to radio, BEP were all over it. It sounded pretty hit and miss at the time and is virtually unlistenable today.

..._Baby_One_More_Time_(album).png

The cover art, the font and a song title called E-mail My Heart (yes, with a dash and all), this was simply how teen stars were marketed back then. It was her most successful album of all time, yet, apart from the singles, no one ever talks about the actual album. I once saw someone say that over 80% of those CDs are probably in dusty attics and landfill now.

Rihanna_-_Music_of_the_Sun.png

The exact same issues as Britney. While a lot of Rihanna's music has this problem, her debut is always her most forgotten about album for a reason.

On_the_6_(Jennifer_Lopez_album_-_cover_a

Jennifer has always tried to produce music that's popular and this is every early 00's cliche. Not saying it's not good, but it's simply a style you don't hear anymore.

Christina_Aguilera_-_Bionic_(album).png

I remember how people were saying this was dated the day it came out. She'd been working on it since 2007/8 so in all this time, electro had became popular and by the time it came out in 2010, she sounded like a follower instead of a leader. It remains the most divisive album of her career for this eclectic nature that no one can really pin down what exactly she was going for here.

HardCandyAlbumCover.PNG

Even her own fans claimed it sounded dated as she went for a hip hop/RnB influenced sound just as that trend was dying out. Similar to Christina, she started working on a style when it was hot, but by the time it was ready to be released, times had changed. 

Girls_Aloud_%E2%80%93_Sound_of_the_Under

Again, everything screams dated with the cover alone. Apart from the singles, the rest of this album was forgotten. To their credit, the girls developed their own sound that other British girl bands tried to replicate but couldn't and they eventually came to be quite critically successful. But then they released their final album in 2008, which is when Gaga brought electropop to the forefront and overnight, their style became totally dated, and shows no signs of returning. And one of them immediately branched out into this...

Cheryl_Cole_-_3_Words_(Official_Album_Co

This was when albums could be marketed successfully as long as you were a pretty face and especially if you were part of an established group. Her solo career came about at just the right time as it's far more difficult to form a successful pop solo career now because we've grown a lot more discerning towards albums like this and demand a lot more artistic involvement and innovation.

Basically any album made by very young singers who were manufactured by record companies to appeal to teenybopper demographics and any artists who made whole albums based around a current music trend that they abandoned immediately once the trend ended. Naturally, I've only included albums that are from my generation that I remember at the time, but every decade before then had albums that have aged badly, back when people were trying to cash in on the disco trend of the 70's, the dancepop of the 80's and the adult alternative of the 90's.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Nutella
6 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

HardCandyAlbumCover.PNG

Even her own fans claimed it sounded dated as she went for a hip hop/RnB influenced sound just as that trend was dying out. Similar to Christina, she started working on a style when it was hot, but by the time it was ready to be released, times had changed.

Love your POVs, and agree with many of them 💚

Hard Candy album WAS dated upon release….. but 4 Minutes, Give It 2 Me and Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You are essential parts of her discography imo

I still can't tell if I love or hate the album artwork though.

(ive already posted about madonna today, so let me just clarify to anyone feeling irked: she seems like a sh*tty person, but she is a legend lol)

• Like 2

ARTPOPKISS
24 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I remember how people were saying this was dated the day it came out. She'd been working on it since 2007/8 so in all this time, electro had became popular and by the time it came out in 2010, she sounded like a follower instead of a leader. It remains the most divisive album of her career for this eclectic nature that no one can really pin down what exactly she was going for here.

I'm getting @bionic on you

We're coming...

You are not safe

Nowhere

Edited by ARTPOPKISS
F@ggotry at its finest

bionic
52 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

The_E.N.D._cover.png

While all the BEP albums are pretty dated as Will insists on basing all his music around what's popular at the time, this is definitely the worst offender. No sooner had Gaga brought electro music to radio, BEP were all over it. It sounded pretty hit and miss at the time and is virtually unlistenable today.

..._Baby_One_More_Time_(album).png

The cover art, the font and a song title called E-mail My Heart (yes, with a dash and all), this was simply how teen stars were marketed back then. It was her most successful album of all time, yet, apart from the singles, no one ever talks about the actual album. I once saw someone say that over 80% of those CDs are probably in dusty attics and landfill now.

The exact same issues as Britney. While a lot of Rihanna's music has this problem, her debut is always her most forgotten about album for a reason.

On_the_6_(Jennifer_Lopez_album_-_cover_a

Jennifer has always tried to produce music that's popular and this is every early 00's cliche. Not saying it's not good, but it's simply a style you don't hear anymore.

HardCandyAlbumCover.PNG

Girls_Aloud_%E2%80%93_Sound_of_the_Under

Again, everything screams dated with the cover alone. Apart from the singles, the rest of this album was forgotten. To their credit, the girls developed their own sound that other British girl bands tried to replicate but couldn't and they eventually came to be quite critically successful. But then they released their final album in 2008, which is when Gaga brought electropop to the forefront and overnight, their style became totally dated, and shows no signs of returning. And one of them immediately branched out into this...

Cheryl_Cole_-_3_Words_(Official_Album_Co

This was when albums could be marketed successfully as long as you were a pretty face and especially if you were part of an established group. Her solo career came about at just the right time as it's far more difficult to form a successful pop solo career now because we've grown a lot more discerning towards albums like this and demand a lot more artistic involvement and innovation.

Basically any album made by very young singers who were manufactured by record companies to appeal to teenybopper demographics and any artists who made whole albums based around a current music trend that they abandoned immediately once the trend ended. Naturally, I've only included albums that are from my generation that I remember at the time, but every decade before then had albums that have aged badly, back when people were trying to cash in on the disco trend of the 70's, the dancepop of the 80's and the adult alternative of the 90's.

The E.N.D. was recorded 2007/08 and recording had finished by October 2008. If you were there and were aware of how Gaga's career blew up or if you look at the chart trajectories of the singles from The Fame then you'd know there is 0% chance this album was copying what was popular at the time. If The Fame is the mother of that era of electropop, then The E.N.D. is the father. They were the leaders of this era even if The E.N.D. has aged much worse (tho neither have aged well)

buy bionic
  • Like 6

LADYGAGA10MONSTER
On 4/5/2024 at 1:40 AM, olive specter said:

the fame has a retro vibe to it, i like it

i don't really like most house music and chromatica's production feels bland to me

i tried to like it, it was fine for some time, but not anymore

free woman demo was cute tho

i want to be free-free-free forever baby

RIP to that part

So I hear abt this demo y do we like it so much?

Westerosi

blackeye.jpg

Edited by Westerosi
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

olive specter
2 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

the title song is a BOP

🌸can't you feel the music in the air? 🌸
🌞close your eyes, let the rhythm take you there🌞
🌸doesn't matter who you are or where you're from🌸
🌞come and dance to the music of the sun🌞

SpiritBunny

I don't understand the constant Chromatica hate from this fanbase. Is it groundbreaking? No, but I don't feel like its bad by any means. 

My answer is Hard Candy by Madonna :kiss:

TimotheeChalamet
22 hours ago, olive specter said:

RIP to the jungle/enigma forest concept for the stage.

It never existed 

Bronco
2 hours ago, JessFletch said:
3 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

HardCandyAlbumCover.PNG

Expand  

Love your POVs, and agree with many of them 💚

Hard Candy album WAS dated upon release….. but 4 Minutes, Give It 2 Me and Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You are essential parts of her discography imo

I still can't tell if I love or hate the album artwork though

Idk if I'm chatting **** or not but I'm pretty certain the "candy" element came quite late in - the boxing visuals seen during the Die Another Day backing video during the S&S tour was the original art concept direction for the era. 

Which is why we ended up with the odd mishmash of ideas.

• Love 1

Nutella
1 hour ago, olive specter said:

the title song is a BOP

🌸can't you feel the music in the air? 🌸

She was just starting out, but she was instantly memorable 🤩

I was obsessed with Pon De Replay and these two (part 2 is better):

20 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Idk if I'm chatting **** or not but I'm pretty certain the "candy" element came quite late in - the boxing visuals seen during the Die Another Day backing video during the S&S tour was the original art concept direction for the era. 

Which is why we ended up with the odd mishmash of ideas.

I learned something new today- thank you. This explains a lot. I actually enjoy the literal 'hard candy' backdrop, and always thought the boxing theme was tongue-in-cheek, adding onto the "hard" part. A brilliant concept to play with, but the cover always looked "off" to me.

I can appreciate it more now though, having seen the original shoot. Still cool, but I think you NEED the candy-inspired visuals somewhere to make it work.

179d0a5e242b526605d35dc8aaae8fc6d1b25816

Reminds me of the Chromatica theme "switch-up" for the tour. I preferred the brutalist stage concept she used- simple and memorable- but it was so bizarre that she ditched the "colorful powerrangers" thing. Would have liked to see the forest stage set(s), too.

• Like 1

djBuffoon
On 4/5/2024 at 1:15 AM, Ultimecia said:

Unless it's about distasteful lyrics or disturbing details concerning the artist we have in hindsight, I don't believe in music "aging poorly." :interestinga:

This. People are just posting albums they don’t care for and thinking they ate. :volantis:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2