šŸ’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT šŸ’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How important is Joker 2: FAD for Gaga's career?

Yaaaas Gaga

Featured Posts

McQueenAddict
3 hours ago, Stephen said:

What does tracking the Oscars have to do with a movie bombing or not?Ā :healedmyheart: Unless you mean bombing AT the Oscars?Ā :oprah: Usually bombing refers to box office which would only happen if the movie is genuinely bad.

I do agree that it's a long shot for Gaga's Oscar chances though. Most people don't realize how hard it is to even get the nomination, let alone the win.

the film's performance at the oscars will be bound up with the box office. the first joker film was dreadful, and lacerated by multiple critics. it has a metacritic score of 59, which is abysmal for a picture-director-screenplay double digits nominee. but it made over a billion dollars and struck gold with the audience that it was intended for. if this film performs similarly or better at a commercial level, it'll replicate it's predecessor's oscar run. but the quandary here is that the first joker was the defintion of basic. it was an uninspired, derivative retread of taxi driver, one of several martin scorsese films that todd philipps has ripped off in his career. it was disliked by the people who called it out for being as basic as it was, but it was liked by those who didn't know as much or didn't care. it did very little risks, and as such, it was relatively uncontroversial among its core demographic; comic book fans (who don't care about cinema non-superficially), and oscar voters (who are used to contentious political/thematic content). this sequel, on the other hand, looks like it's going to be taking big swings and big risks. the music, Gaga, the plot... these are several components that will come to create something that is very obviously going to alienate a lot of people. that so many people are predicting it for oscars glory already, despite the red flags, is a surefire tell tale sign (for me) that it's not going to do as well as people think.Ā Ā 

• Like 1
  • LMAO 4

BlingNotTheMusic
31 minutes ago, LordByron28 said:

I mean Iā€™d say Bloody Mary was fairly big for Gen Z and millenials with it being a tik tok viral hit that got a decent amount of radio play all things considered. So her name was kept semi relevant in 2022 after Haus of Gucci. Fortnite as well is good at keeping her in a segment of the GPā€™s eye since it is played by roughly 200 million users a month. Hold my hand may not have been massive for the GP but it is on a really big film coupled with an Oscars performance in 2023. Tony Bennet and Rolling Stones collabs appealed to a very small segment of boomers. She hasnā€™t set the world on fire with a big phenomenon since Shallow or major hit since RoM but she has been relevant to a large and diverse portion of people with different collaborations. She hasnā€™t faded away and done nothing since Chromatica.Ā 
Ā 

With that said, I mostly agree Joker: FAD has the potential to be really big for her. By far the biggest film she has ever been apart of considering the original was a billion dollar grossing film and is apart of the Batman universe in a major role. The first film was also highly talked about for its socio-political commentary. I suspect this film will have similar commentaries. A musical aspect to it will likely draw a lot of attention. It remains to be seen how it will be viewed. While her legacy is already solidified to an extent. This film could be a major step in her acting career since it is the biggest project she has ever been apart of and likely the highest grossing one. I imagine it could be the most challenging for her as well.Ā 

IDK just speaking from personal experience.

Like my partner, my mom, and several friends who know I love Gaga, within the past year to 6 months have all said to me something along the lines of "What happened to Gaga? I haven't heard anything from her in a long time...etc"

And in other conversations the last thing they remember (or first thing they bring up is ASIB) I think some people think ROM was an Ari song feat GagaĀ :franminervini:

All in all, just saying that her impact on pop culture has continued to wain and I'm interested to see what she and her team have in store for JFAD and LG7

HotLikeMexico
6 hours ago, Rahrahbitchson said:

People saying that this could flop or not be as huge as the first one, clearly didnt saw the first movie. Joker leaves you wanting to see MORE and what happens next, it is a very good movie and if they had cast any other actress to be Harley, people would still go to see it. There is no chance that this movie will be a flop, so get real.

I mean the first move didnā€™t really need a sequel. It was perfect as a standalone and was originally meant to be that. But $$$ talks.Ā 

StrawberryBlond

She will always be a singer first and foremost so her acting career is separate and how she performs musically will always be the most important. But this role could propel what is already there as this is the sequel to a highly beloved and awarded movie. There is so much riding on this. Comic book movies lately have bombed, which is unprecedented. Nothing has truly shaken up the genre and the demand for a Joker sequel is huge. Which is why I'm concerned how her performance will be received and how much money the film will make. If her acting is considered laughable and/or the movie flops, she will be blamed and it could affect her standing in Hollywood especially because she isn't a full-time actress. I'm trying not to be negative as I'm sure she'll smash it but the demographic she's entering this time is infamously critical. I'm sure we'll ultimately come back to this thread post-movie and post-awards season and laugh at how pessimistic we were being. I'm determined to manifest it.

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

She's going to be immortalized forever in DC fandom. She will always be one of the legendary Harley Quinn actresses. Whenever a new actress takes on the role she will be asked her thoughts. If the movie is great, it could be a bigger cultural moment than ASIB. The first Joker crossed a billion at the box office. ASIB wasn't even half of that. This could end up being the most iconic role of her career.

That's what I'm saying. ASIB didn't even make half of what the first Joker movie made. Yet, ASIB was a cultural moment and it felt like the songs were being played everywhere and everyone was talking about it and seeing it multiple times. Its soundtrack also sold well and won awards. If FAD makes the same amount or more of the first movie, it's unimaginable how stratospheric it will feel and what this could do for her legacy. I just realised, so many women will be dressing as Harley for Halloween! And of course, Joker/Harley couples! That will help promotion as well.

8 hours ago, McQueenAddict said:

as a cinephile who tracks the oscars obsessively, i'm predicting that the film is gonna bomb. the first joker was a lightning-in-the-bottle event which happened at a specific time, in a certain specific cultural context. the novelty has worn off, and the demographic which pulled up the first film is not going to be here for this one.Ā 

If anything, the new movie will be even more relevant. Joker came out just before the pandemic. Post-pandemic, so many people have lost their jobs, lost family members, have come into a bad state of mental health. They might actually gravitate towards such a grim movie now more than ever.Ā 

6 hours ago, Agunimon said:

This will extend her potential fanbase to straight men.Ā 

Exactly my thoughts. I know she won't be overtly mainstream sexualised like Margot Robbie was but the sexuality will still be there. And she'll appeal more towards a different kind of man, who likes women a bit wild and crazy, who you can get drunk with and have a fun night with. She could become a lot of men's secret crushes for sure. I've heard a good few men say "I know Gaga's weird and all but I find her kinda hot." More men find her attractive than we're led to believe, they're just not vocal about it.Ā 

1 hour ago, McQueenAddict said:

the film's performance at the oscars will be bound up with the box office. the first joker film was dreadful, and lacerated by multiple critics. it has a metacritic score of 59, which is abysmal for a picture-director-screenplay double digits nominee.

It wasn't "lacerated" by critics. It has a 69% on Rotten Tomatoes, by the way. It's about a lot more than just Metacritic. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't beloved by many. Even if not all the critics liked it, the public sure picked up the slack. It doesn't ultimately matter what critics think, the public make a movie what it is. And Joaquin won for best actor (so clearly, a low Metacritic score didn't affect his chances) which is the only award we're wanting Gaga to win here so if she wins that, who cares if it's not the biggest hit with critics?Ā 

• Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

Modern Ecstasy2
2 hours ago, McQueenAddict said:

the film's performance at the oscars will be bound up with the box office. the first joker film was dreadful, and lacerated by multiple critics. it has a metacritic score of 59, which is abysmal for a picture-director-screenplay double digits nominee. but it made over a billion dollars and struck gold with the audience that it was intended for. if this film performs similarly or better at a commercial level, it'll replicate it's predecessor's oscar run. but the quandary here is that the first joker was the defintion of basic. it was an uninspired, derivative retread of taxi driver, one of several martin scorsese films that todd philipps has ripped off in his career. it was disliked by the people who called it out for being as basic as it was, but it was liked by those who didn't know as much or didn't care. it did very little risks, and as such, it was relatively uncontroversial among its core demographic; comic book fans (who don't care about cinema non-superficially), and oscar voters (who are used to contentious political/thematic content). this sequel, on the other hand, looks like it's going to be taking big swings and big risks. the music, Gaga, the plot... these are several components that will come to create something that is very obviously going to alienate a lot of people. that so many people are predicting it for oscars glory already, despite the red flags, is a surefire tell tale sign (for me) that it's not going to do as well as people think.Ā Ā 

Someone didnā€™t like the movie lol!

ā€œDelete this thread that person is not Gaga he is a hot blonde twinkā€
  • LMAO 1

julz

Joker 2 I think will definitely be a talk of the world, not just town...just like when the media said that Joker 1 ignited protests around the world. This means, it's really upto her to further prove her acting to the world through this big platform of a film. I think that not only in her career that this would possibly put her a level or levels up...but also in her advocacy on mental health, knowing the story. This further solidifies her stand on that, making her a big authentic image of a mental health advocate. So it's not just about her artistic career but also her philantropic career.

I really cant wait for next week.

• Like 1

McQueenAddict
3 hours ago, Modern Ecstasy2 said:

Someone didnā€™t like the movie lol!

it's objectively a pretty terrible film lol, it was the butt of all jokes for pretty much everyone on film twitter.Ā 

• LMAO 1

Stephen
25 minutes ago, McQueenAddict said:

it's objectively a pretty terrible film lol, it was the butt of all jokes for pretty much everyone on film twitter.Ā 

Lol it's a good thing nobody in real life cares about "film twitter". :ladyhaha:

Have fun jerking each other off! :heart:

• Like 2

PartySick

it's objectively a pretty terrible film lol

It's not

film twitter.Ā 

I trust film twitter's opinion on movies about as much as I trust stan twitter's opinions on good musicĀ :ladyhaha:

Joker was a great movie. Joaquin's acting is phenomenal and he and Gaga will play off each other so well. I can't wait :bradley:

šŸ’š
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

PartySick
5 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

And Joaquin won for best actor (so clearly, a low Metacritic score didn't affect his chances) which is the only award we're wanting Gaga to win here so if she wins that, who cares if it's not the biggest hit with critics?Ā 

Oh sis I personally, genuinely, couldn't care less what awards Gaga does or doesn't win or what the critics say.

House of Gucci was a steaming pile and Gaga (along with Adam) made it an enjoyable experience. She's going toĀ kill itĀ as Harley :excited2:

Literally the only way she could make me happier is if she came out and said "surprise, I'm also the lead in Alien: Romulus" :bradley:

Gaga IN AN ALIEN FILM WHEN?!

šŸ’š

Taylucifer

I think this could kinda be where she morphs into more of a Cher type figure in the culture, ever present, strong fanbase, culturally significant, but able to dart in and out of the spotlight as she pleasesĀ 

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW
  • Like 6

Dancing Shadow

it pretty damn important

if her acting is praised then that opens up a ton of doors and she will likely star in much bigger things

if her acting is hated then that will keep things the same in terms of her acting for now, but she could definitely recover, our queen is skilled as hell

"I hope that you will love me in this way For who I amā€”not thenā€”but for today"

NATAH

i think it's very important for the reasons already stated here but also to help show her range in acting world

she's successfully done romance/musical, drama, crime and real life impersonation

now we'll see her in a thriller and almost comic book setting (Joker is very far detached from regular comic book movies though)

mother, what must i do?
  • Like 1

NATAH
8 hours ago, McQueenAddict said:

Joker was great wtf

mother, what must i do?
  • Like 2

RochestrMonstr

Gaga is a household name, and people listing off reasons why sheā€™s ā€œnot relevantā€ in their area doesnā€™t take away from that. This movie flopping would be the same for her career as Gucci was. Sheā€™s not going away.Ā 
Ā 

Sheā€™s not some current pop-star who has to worry about individual charts and singles. Ā Sheā€™s a 38 year old fixture in the entertainment industry, with a legacy. She could outsell most musicians of her age with ease.Ā 
Ā 

But either way, I donā€™t believe she would have taken on the project if she thought it wasnā€™t a quality role.

Edited by RochestrMonstr