Joanne vs. Cowboy Carter (VOTE)

Noah X

Joanne vs. Cowboy Carter  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Joanne vs. Cowboy Carter

Featured Posts

Roughhouse Dandy
9 minutes ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

If this is alluding to what I wrote, I just think it’s ironic that folks have a very rigid notion of what is country vs. what’s not when it comes to Joanne and yet insist that CC is, unquestionably, a country album through and through despite pulling from different genres and subgenres (and it was not intended as a read at all, I think it’s a very good album). I agree that CC is country in a very progressive sense, as you alluded to, but it also very clearly weaves in genres that are not part of the conventional country tapestry (with a different arrangement, parts of American Requiem, for example, could be a groovy Sly and the Family Stone style track). All in all, Linda Martell sums it up pretty well on Spaghetti, “Genres are a funny little concept, aren't they? In theory, they have a simple definition that's easy to understand, but in practice, well…” 

/tangent: Genre is simultaneously about intention, composition, aesthetic, musical arrangement, cultural context, and performance and so debates about genre as something strictly musical or strictly aesthetic ultimately end up being kind of equivocal and/or people end up talking past each other because no one can really agree as to which standard or element is being referred to and which they prioritize the most in determining whether something is or is not part of any given genre.

Not you specifically, bb 💜

And I agree with 100% with this post 

This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Love 1

Ladle Ghoulash
Just now, Roughhouse Dandy said:

Not you specifically, bb 💜

And I agree with 100% with this post 

I just wanted to clarify that it wasn’t meant as shade haha, but I appreciate you co-signing the rant :holdmyhand:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

julz

I think that Beyonce's voice suits country music more...thats why i think CC is better than Joanne. I like Joanne, but it is not as cohesive as CC. 

TwistedTeeth

I don't think Joanne was Country at all, it had the elements but is ultimately a Blues Rock/Pop album that was leaning into the Rock sound she did for ASIB later. Cowboy Carter is, first and foremost, Country then leans into Funk and Rock.

LG7我们真的来喽(゜▽゜)🎉
  • Like 1

Linus Gaga

Some part of Joanne was good.

It does seem all over the place from setlist to the era. Perfect Illusion era you feel like she was wild and fresh, but suddenly toned down even more with the actual joanne looks. 

It didn't feel like a Gaga album or era, I think it is because Gaga was too good to be in the character, and for some reasons she felt like doing a personal album era, she has to not dress up ,and even her personality changed so much. 

I loved the super bowl performance, but always imagine it would have been even more wild and Gaga if it happened along with a pop era like ARTPOP or chromatica.

Hit me a message and say hi !

VOLANTIS
8 hours ago, PartySick said:

Banning you all and hacking your locations to airdrop pink cowboy hats :kiss:

If I drag Born This Way do I get an easy rider bike? :selena:

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half
  • LMAO 1

Cavadour

Not gonna lie, I've never been a fan of Bey style. But this time from what I heard of Cowboy Carter, I'll get a glimpse of a chance to spin that album more than once. Cause if her style is not my cuppa, I always fell for her voice. I also love country accents in music. Now about Joanne, this album turned me into a monster. So my heart bleeds always a little when I'm facing the general low esteem of this fanbase for this album. It was set on constant intoxicating loop in my car for a year.

So for now, these two albums share something similar, much more important to me than the country influx: they both drew my attention in a different way upon these two artists.

Isn't country music all american musician's goodwill after all ?

Late to the party but I got a diamond heart

RenegAde

As someone who moderately enjoyed both albums and isnt particularly blown away by either why is CC getting praised for the same thing joanne is getting criticised for? 

Joanne might be edged out because of CC more recent and steller production. But both albums are definitely in the same category in terms of genre ambiguity sonically.

Edited by RenegAde
  • Thanks 1

Mr S

Let's not do this guys. CC is everything Gaga wished she could do with Joanne. Even if she's not writing everything on her own like Taylor, Beyonce is just at another level artistically. Gaga used to be at that level. We can accept that there is a difference while still being a monster.

• Like 1
  • LMAO 3
  • Sad 1

Mr S
2 hours ago, RenegAde said:

As someone who moderately enjoyed both albums and isnt particularly blown away by either why is CC getting praised for the same thing joanne is getting criticised for? 

Joanne might be edged out because of CC more recent and steller production. But both albums are definitely in the same category in terms of genre ambiguity sonically.

It's context.

LG is known to try on different costumes and hasn't really given the real Gaga. Critics just see her trying on a new hat; there is no backstory. In fact, I'm surprised she didn't say "I've loved country music since I was 9" or something. With Beyonce she framed it as taking back a genre that was originally black. Gaga would benefit from following Beyonces strategy. Don't talk, let the music do the talking. I love Gaga but a lot of things she says make my eyes roll. 

Then there is the difference in quality. The production,vocals, mastering are all too notch on CC. 

Also LG was coming off her flop era. Beyonce is coming off a comeback era.

• Sad 1

Didymus

Joanne was a weird kinda ****ed up compromise between knowing she had to reinvent herself away from dance music, her wanting to "heal her dad" for whatever reason, and wanting to explore "analog" sounds but then having BloodPop piss all over it anyway with ugly electronics.

Bey has some similar stuff going on but despite me thinking the album is overstuffed and self-indulgent, her ambition level is much greater than Gaga's ever was. Which is not Gaga's fault. But it def is awkward to have the Joanne era between Madonna's legendary and musically tasteful and progressive Music era and this cultural statement of Bey. It's gonna get forgotten and I'm not mad about that. Y'all need to remember that TFM is yet to be topped.

• Sad 1

Noah X

Ok so I went to the Joanne tour and was severely disappointed...

For the opening, she just came out and stood on a box for 3 songs

i wonder what beyonce is gonna do