Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Lily Allen thinks people in higher earning bracket should pay as much tax as they can

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Speaking on podcast, Miss Me?, Lily Allen said:  'I was always good with my tax, I'm a big firm believer in paying tax and I think people in a higher earning bracket should absolutely pay as much tax as they possibly can.

'And, that has made me unpopular in certain political circles, having this view, and being quite public about it.'

She continued: 'But anyway, I have always put money aside to pay for my tax.

'What happened was, I got sued by somebody, for an extremely large amount of money, which I hadn't accounted for.

'I had to pay him off, with the money I had put aside for my tax.

'And then when my tax bill came along, I tried to work out a deal with HMRC in which I can pay them back in instalments.

'Which I would have been able to do, but they said no so, I had to put my house on the market.'

Lily Allen has revealed that being forced to sell her Cotswolds mansion to pay off a hefty tax bill was 'soul-destroying' - and she checks the housing market 'every day' to see if it has gone back on sale.
source

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining
  • Thanks 1

River

tumblr_mokmtoTmVM1r5lqijo1_250.gif

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like
  • LMAO 11

thisboyisamonster

What in the left wing lunacy is she on about

Yaaaas Gaga

And what exactly is "as much tax as you can", Lily. That's a very broad term.

So rather than getting a tax bill for say 20%, 40% or 45% (UK taxes), the bill will just say "please pay as much as you can".

Miky

oh hello commie 

Too many people here with moral superiority complex.

RAMROD

Why is she suddenly on media again? Is new album coming out soon? :ororomunroe:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Natalia Kills

To be fair, people in the higher earnings bracket are already paying more possible tax, hence the bracket. It may help if the earnings she is referring to is specified. 

I think there’s a disconnect that high earnings means you’re de facto rich. It doesn’t.

I recently entered a top 3% band and I’m still saving/investing as much as possible to be able to buy a home and provide support for my parents. I’ve had to make sacrifices to do that, including 60 hour weeks, limited time off and managing my own tuition and business accounting. I suspect it’s similar for other high earning professionals, especially in medical, technical and legal roles.

If my taxes went up notably more, I’d probably start to give up on buying a house, work substantially less and even live between pay cheques. 

Edited by Natalia Kills

Smithy
1 hour ago, RAMROD said:

Why is she suddenly on media again? Is new album coming out soon? :ororomunroe:

She’s started a new podcast

• Thanks 1

HelloHangoverz

Thing is, I can get behind high tax for the rich, but when my auntie died and left me a bit of inheritance, that 40% inheritance tax pissed me the f off, especially seeing stories on the daily about how the King doesn't pay all the tax he could, Rishi Sunak's wife had non-dom status while her husband was the CHANCELLOR....I guess there are always two perspectives you can look at it from. I'm a communist when I'm broke and Margaret Thatcher when I'm doing okay haha

edit: no srsly though if a tax rise could fix the NHS, I'd vote for it

Edited by HelloHangoverz
bottoms up....and the devil laughs

PartySick

Every penny above $100,000,000 that any human makes should be taken by the government and paid directly into social safety nets, funding education, and repairing/building infrastructure :vegas:

You'll never change my mind :vegas:

The ultra wealthy are a blight on society, the biggest leaches on our population, and every billionaire is a policy failure.

EAT 👏 THE 👏 RICH 👏

🖤
  • Like 8

Reality

Idk why but everytime I see the name "Lily Allen", I think of Lily Tomlin :bradley: 

Anyway, I don't disagree with what she said and I'm actually kinda shocked to see some of the comments here. She's not saying anything out of the ordinary and the whole "eat the rich" mentality isn't new. Y'all think billionaires and huge corporations pay their fair share of taxes anyway? :selena: 

🃏🖤👹
  • Thanks 1

FrederickSpears
1 hour ago, PartySick said:

Every penny above $100,000,000 that any human makes should be taken by the government and paid directly into social safety nets, funding education, and repairing/building infrastructure :vegas:

You'll never change my mind :vegas:

The ultra wealthy are a blight on society, the biggest leaches on our population, and every billionaire is a policy failure.

EAT 👏 THE 👏 RICH 👏

Truth Facts GIF by Retro Future E-Girl

• Thanks 1