Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Billie Eilish says artists are releasing several vinyl versions for numbers and money

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Helxig
5 hours ago, olivia specter said:

"I find it really frustrating as somebody who really goes out of my way to be sustainable and do the best that I can and try to involve everybody in my team in being sustainable"

il_fullxfull.4437611567_1avl.jpg

great they are made from scraps, but still
1. other artists do that too
2. why so many? or do you care about money and numbers too?

Yeah they acknowledged how you have to play into the #1 game but that they hate it, but at least she tried to make it sustainable, and they'd love to see limits on variants (which obviously includes herself). She obviously was made (or convinced) to do the whole variants thing but negotiated that at least it has to be sustainable. Which means she she already acknowledged that it was wasteful at the time and tried to offset that, but clearly doesn't want to have to do it again next album cycle

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 1

Helxig

They are so right and they should say it

And this is gonna be a hot take that some of you won't like but... it's the consumers who obsessively collect every variant for no good reason who create the demand and are part of the problem. Collecting is like hoarding in a way. You don't need 15 copies of the same album

I know that collecting is a hobby and some people really enjoy it, and people should be allowed to do the things they enjoy, and that there are plenty of other ways that people are wasteful that need to be addressed first, blah blah blah. But it's supply and demand. As long as people keep willingly haemorrhaging all their hard earned money over to these labels they will keep doing it

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 4

Chromatography

i feel like the more i hear about her, i have no choice but to stan 

Onlygaga

This is so true I own so many of the same Gaga albums but with different colored vinyl. Being a vinyl collector I love it, but Billie is right. When we’re all gone all of these vinyl records are just going to be in the landfills ruining our planet even more. 

StrawberryBlond

Physical copies of CDs are bad enough with contributing to cluttering up our houses (which then leads down the charity shop and landfill pipeline) and just when that issue has started becoming massively reduced, vinyl and vinyl variants took over. I genuinely want to know what people do with all these variants. Do these collectors really play them all on rotation? Do they even own a record player or do they just buy them as a visual statement? I really don't see the point of paying all that money for something that no one else will even see. And as you're a fan, you have no plans of selling them for profit, so what's the appeal? And even hardcore fans are taking a massive risk by pre-ordering vinyl in so many variants when they have no idea if they'll even like this album. I only buy one physical copy of even my biggest faves because humans are too unpredictable to put that amount of blind faith in them. 

• Thanks 1

RichAssPiss

Thinking about how Lorde released a "music box" with a download code inside to save plastic and Billboard wouldn't count that as a sale. But Taylor Swift can sell a clock made out of stacked vinyl and they'll count it as four sales. 

• Love 1

Flippy
9 hours ago, olive specter said:

"I find it really frustrating as somebody who really goes out of my way to be sustainable and do the best that I can and try to involve everybody in my team in being sustainable"

il_fullxfull.4437611567_1avl.jpg

great they are made from scraps, but still
1. other artists do that too
2. why so many? or do you care about money and numbers too?

12 for HTE?! :omg:

TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22

SwissMonster

Not 100% OT but Honestly missing times were there was ONE Album cover and idk a remix album / re release with a bonus track some weeks/months later. Thats it. We really grew into thinking 10 Album cover alternatives is the standard (and here a bonus track, there a bonus track, etc). And its kinda sad, cause damn, its THE ALBUM COVER. Its literally your art? You can set such a statement with it and it kinda became meaningless in a lot of cases.

Idk Da Vinci didn’t make a deluxe version of the Mona Lisa the fück?

Edited by SwissMonster
SwissMonster®️ - Creating controversy since 1999

phantasmas

her frontal lobe is evolving... cant wait til she drags today's pop stars 15-30 yrs from now

phantasmas
4 hours ago, RichAssPiss said:

Thinking about how Lorde released a "music box" with a download code inside to save plastic and Billboard wouldn't count that as a sale. But Taylor Swift can sell a clock made out of stacked vinyl and they'll count it as four sales. 

oh wowww i did not know this kind of white on white drama was going on  :triggered: i am slightly intrigued 

TortureMeOnReplay
12 hours ago, Anderson123 said:

I'm just saying that she's annoyed by this now because she has lived through that. She has been part of the problem and that's why she's speaking about it. She's trying to make a change. Happier Than Ever had like 8+ variants and the article says they were made from recycled parts, even color ones. That was her way of wanting to do things a bit different.

The problem Billie has is how wasteful it is to produce so many of them, not the variants themselves.

That's a fair point. We don't know how many of these artists are the ones who decide all of this or if it's part of a contract, etc. 

I feel like if you're gonna sh!t on something you shouldn't be doing the same thing regardless of how you're trying to be "better" than others. At the end of the day all of those variants still used electricity to be produced, gas to be transported, and cardboard to be delivered. The sugar cane for the paper had to be farmed and the plastic recycled for this in the first place rather than used for something practical. It once again sounds like she's talking down on other artists and she's doing it all better than them when by her words she shouldn't be doing it at all. I used to love Billie but I am getting so tired of her condescending sht. 

• Like 2

RAMROD
10 hours ago, Helxig said:

They are so right and they should say it

And this is gonna be a hot take that some of you won't like but... it's the consumers who obsessively collect every variant for no good reason who create the demand and are part of the problem. Collecting is like hoarding in a way. You don't need 15 copies of the same album

I know that collecting is a hobby and some people really enjoy it, and people should be allowed to do the things they enjoy, and that there are plenty of other ways that people are wasteful that need to be addressed first, blah blah blah. But it's supply and demand. As long as people keep willingly haemorrhaging all their hard earned money over to these labels they will keep doing it

9 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

Drag that eco-TAY-rrorist! 

Her next alboom better not have variants like the three before it then. :icant:

k7qksfb9lqq71.jpg

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • LMAO 1

chromaticainmyhead

Good for her on speaking out about this! It's about damn time major artists advocate louder for environmentally friendly solutions to their craft. Billie has been the only one I can think of who has also started the discussion about making touring eco-friendly. I guess it's not that easy to challenge your label in releasing less material since they are the ones putting the pressure on reaching the numbers and sales goals. It's a free market after all and they would damage their business when everybody else continues.  More major artists should speak about this so maybe they get labels to sign on an agreement that such methods are no longer anticipated.
I wonder what her take is on Taylors excessive private jetting.

Gugu, I hope you are reading this!!!

fan-tas-tique, chic, freak, slaaaay