Edonis 28,974 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 It's all very on brand for her. She is one of the most hateful human beings alive. And to think her fans try to gaslight others at the slightest bit of criticism when she's out here espousing some of the most hateful bullshit out there. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
JohnnyVersace 9,312 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 1 hour ago, Bronco said: No babes you're the reason. If your response to an extremist is "We shouldn't cancel them, they wrote books I loved" - you're the reason those extremists get to flourish Once you start "cancelling" extremely mainstream, beloved art, it opens a can of worms. Couldn't the right make Born This Way seem extremist with songs about gender and titles like Government Hooker? Plus, HP is beyond cancellation at this point. You'd have to ban the books, remove all the movies from streaming, and close several theme parks. JK is the issue. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Killa 18,922 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 Incredible… she could even have her opinion, but you simply can’t come personally to someone and say your whole life and identify is wrong and false. You just can’t on so many levels this witch-hunt really neeeds to stop, the hell is her problem? Like why ste you so offended that you need to destroy/vilify people online. The nerve Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
GagaSine 7,464 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 8 minutes ago, JohnnyVersace said: Once you start "cancelling" extremely mainstream, beloved art, it opens a can of worms. Couldn't the right make Born This Way seem extremist with songs about gender and titles like Government Hooker? Plus, HP is beyond cancellation at this point. You'd have to ban the books, remove all the movies from streaming, and close several theme parks. JK is the issue. Lmao so only niche art should be canceled? I love this website Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bronco 28,240 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 11 minutes ago, JohnnyVersace said: Once you start "cancelling" extremely mainstream, beloved art, it opens a can of worms. Couldn't the right make Born This Way seem extremist with songs about gender and titles like Government Hooker? Plus, HP is beyond cancellation at this point. You'd have to ban the books, remove all the movies from streaming, and close several theme parks. JK is the issue. JK uses her income to fund her hate. So what's the solution if people aren't prepared to make her wallet suffer? We're a good 100+ years away from her estate losing copyright control. She's just recently invested close to £100,000 in supporting a court case seeking to end the only way in the UK trans people can get legal status in their correct gender. Where do you think that £100,000 come from? I don't neccesarily believe we should prevent her sales etc - but people should stop investing further in her hateful empire. Anyone who is aware of her political activities & hate campaigns who continues to spend money on products she benefits from are willingly funding that hate. They're making a choice to contribute because they value a fictional story more than people's lives. The gays know how to party Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
RudraCNG 15,511 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 I read the whole thread on twitter (the original post is hers) and lurked on her page and god, she really is obssessed. Does she ever talk about any other topic? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Emvee 8,870 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 I think a lot of people still don’t quite grasp the fact that JK Rowling is an active transphobe. I think this gives us a pretty clear example of it and her warped logic, so the conversation is warranted. We’re not just spotlighting this for no reason lol Though it does require everyone to take a step back and actually think about this all holistically and not just frame it as “cancel culture.” Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Versace 8,082 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 1 hour ago, GagaSine said: You'd be surprised, I go to a community college and for fun one of the professors did an anonymous survey of what we thought about Harry Potter and read out the responses. Majority were negative. Lots of people mentioning they used to love it or it was special in their childhoods but JKR ruined it with her words and actions. The professor agreed as well. These are not academic elites or largely queer people. Just average people in their 20s and 30s with a few older students as well. GP, especially younger people are starting to turn away. Turn away from what though, the people who purchased the books before we’re not gonna purchase them again regardless of the author’s actions. People already watched the movies as well. The book series is already a behemoth and continues to be a best seller. I think J.K. Is just too powerful now to face any consequences, her transphobic remarks were post her legacy. The books, the attractions, the shops, and recently a video game that did really well, alongside a recently announced TV show reboot, all of it continues to bring in money for her. You know what’s ironic, the series itself is very queer coded and has a huge queer following as well. Gurl trust me the HP gays will let you know they exist and are going with the “I’m a fan of the franchise not JK herself” excuse. I never got into the HP craze personally but anyone here would be lying to themselves if they think HP or J.K are gonna be significantly impacted by her transphobic remarks. J.K knows this as well, it’s why she has this careless attitude and says wtv she wants. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
JohnnyVersace 9,312 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 10 minutes ago, Bronco said: JK uses her income to fund her hate. So what's the solution if people aren't prepared to make her wallet suffer? We're a good 100+ years away from her estate losing copyright control. She's just recently invested close to £100,000 in supporting a court case seeking to end the only way in the UK trans people can get legal status in their correct gender. Where do you think that £100,000 come from? I don't neccesarily believe we should prevent her sales etc - but people should stop investing further in her hateful empire. Anyone who is aware of her political activities & hate campaigns who continues to spend money on products she benefits from are willingly funding that hate. They're making a choice to contribute because they value a fictional story more than people's lives. That's great in theory but it will never happen. There is a HP theme park actively being built in Orlando set to open in 2025. There is a reboot in the works for Max. There are tons of HP stores worldwide. Movie set tours. Etc. etc. It's impossible to shutter all of this in the name of her (horrible) political/gender beliefs. It'd be one thing if she was just an author, but Harry Potter is a billion dollar business that is so large you can't shutter it enough to maker her "wallet suffer." $100k is literal pennies to her. I think it's very easy for normal people like us to think that boycotting businesses will have a large impact on political issues, but I've seen it fail so many times in my lifetime that I just don't agree with it anymore (aside from honoring your own personal moral standpoint). Chick-Fil-A, Target, Amazon, Starbucks, and countless more are still going strong regardless of political donations or ethical downfalls. You ask what the solution is, I'm not sure. I think a lawsuit, other notable figures speaking out against her, or a documentary on her turf history would get people more invested than pulling her books. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
GagaSine 7,464 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 7 minutes ago, Versace said: Turn away from what though, the people who purchased the books before we’re not gonna purchase them again regardless of the author’s actions. People already watched the movies as well. The book series is already a behemoth and continues to be a best seller. I think J.K. Is just too powerful now to face any consequences, her transphobic remarks were post her legacy. The books, the attractions, the shops, and recently a video game that did really well, alongside a recently announced TV show reboot, all of it continues to bring in money for her. You know what’s ironic, the series itself is very queer coded and has a huge queer following as well. Gurl trust me the HP gays will let you know they exist and are going with the “I’m a fan of the franchise not JK herself” excuse. I never got into the HP craze personally but anyone here would be lying to themselves if they think HP or J.K are gonna be significantly impacted by her transphobic remarks. J.K knows this as well, it’s why she has this careless attitude and says wtv she wants. Y'all are such defeatists! By turn away I mean they are less interested in supporting her further. No one can undo the past of course but people slowly supporting her and Harry Potter IP less still does have an impact. Yes the wealthy are very good at protecting themselves but they aren't Gods. Maybe JK will never be penniless but her level of power and influence can certainly decrease. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bronco 28,240 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 7 minutes ago, JohnnyVersace said: That's great in theory but it will never happen. There is a HP theme park actively being built in Orlando set to open in 2025. There is a reboot in the works for Max. There are tons of HP stores worldwide. Movie set tours. Etc. etc. It's impossible to shutter all of this in the name of her (horrible) political/gender beliefs. It'd be one thing if she was just an author, but Harry Potter is a billion dollar business that is so large you can't shutter it enough to maker her "wallet suffer." $100k is literal pennies to her. I think it's very easy for normal people like us to think that boycotting businesses will have a large impact on political issues, but I've seen it fail so many times in my lifetime that I just don't agree with it anymore (aside from honoring your own personal moral standpoint). Chick-Fil-A, Target, Amazon, Starbucks, and countless more are still going strong regardless of political donations or ethical downfalls. You ask what the solution is, I'm not sure. I think a lawsuit, other notable figures speaking out against her, or a documentary on her turf history would get people more invested than pulling her books. Again, I said i'm not advocating pulling her books. I fully believe anyone who claims to support LGBTQ+ rights should individually boycott her products rather than putting their own money into funding a hate campaign against their own community. And I do truly believe that anyone who knows her politics and behaviour but chooses to continue to support her are far more responsible for the rise of extremist cults like her's rather than the user I responded to claiming her extremism is because of people daring to criticise a rich white lady. What I don't support is the original user I responded to, who is on a Lady Gaga forum - a woman who is Bi and a proud member & supporter of the LGBTQ+ community with many fans identifying as part of it as well - proudly attacking people who want to critcise a Transphobe and are at least talking about ways of reducing her financial ability to propugate hate in the UK and beyond. I challenged that because I don't want Trans folks in this community to see such posts and see them go without challenge. They should feel safe, welcome & valued on here. The gays know how to party Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Versace 8,082 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 24 minutes ago, GagaSine said: Y'all are such defeatists! By turn away I mean they are less interested in supporting her further. No one can undo the past of course but people slowly supporting her and Harry Potter IP less still does have an impact. Yes the wealthy are very good at protecting themselves but they aren't Gods. Maybe JK will never be penniless but her level of power and influence can certainly decrease. Defeatists lol? Ma’am I just stated the facts. When you’re as rich as she is and have royalties/rights attached to a cash cow IP like HP, I don’t think your power and influence can ever decrease. She probs has the capacity to do most of what comes to her mind at any given moment. Why do we like to ignore parts of reality that are not in our favor? Questionable people win at life time and time again. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
GagaSine 7,464 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 9 minutes ago, Versace said: Defeatists lol? Ma’am I just stated the facts. When you’re as rich as she is and have royalties/rights attached to a cash cow IP like HP, I don’t think your power and influence can ever decrease. She probs has the capacity to do most of what comes to her mind at any given moment. Why do we like to ignore parts of reality that are not in our favor? Questionable people win at life time and time again. I'm not denying that, but it doesn't have to be true. We don't have to allow the wealthy to have total control. Even now there are laws that try to stop them, thought they are very good at circumventing many of them. "We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings." - Ursula K LeGuin Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
MANiCURE 6 10,306 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 Can we simply just stop talking about her? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
nATAH 58,388 Posted March 5, 2024 Share Posted March 5, 2024 5 hours ago, Citrom said: one of the best book series of all time… umm.... mother, what must i do? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.