Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Pitchfork calls new Bey song “car-commercial music"

Kimmo

Featured Posts

Kimmo

:deadbanana:

GGJZfpFbgAALKxD?format=jpg&name=small

"But as with “Break My Soul,” Beyoncé’s attempts at 9-to-5 relatability can ring slightly hollow from beyond the veil of privacy and security her monies afford—it’s just as difficult to imagine her boot-scootin’ at a honky-tonk as it was to imagine her rolling at the club. The ho-hey stomp-clap of it all, complete with an Andy Griffith whistle, veers dangerously close to the border of Lumineers car-commercial music; this is working-class music for folks who can afford to drive a Lexus."

Link

Edited by Kimmo
Hottie Detector
  • Like 3
  • LMAO 30
  • YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 6

• Kimmo changed the title to Pitchfork calls new Bey song “car-commercial music"
moonsago

Exactly. She is appropriating poor culture and I am offended. My culture is not your costume Beyonce. 

• Like 2
  • LMAO 42
  • Thanks 1

gagzus

I mean they ain’t wrong, im glad at least one critic isn’t afraid to say anything negative about artists like Bey and Taylor who send lynch mobs almost of fans after everyone

• Like 13
  • Thanks 8

Red

I thought Anna Wintour had shut Pitchfork down or something 

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 5

King of the Fall

I liked 16 Carriages a lot but yeah, they are not wrong about this one.

Edited by Angelene
We define our moral ground, but when I crawl into your arms, everything comes tumbling down
  • Like 4

RAMROD

Azealia did not approve the country songs, now Pitchfork too :bradley:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • LMAO 4

Mister G

I kind of grew bored with them already. Don't get me wrong they are cute bops...but I'm just not feeling the replayability right now...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

HelloHangoverz

I seen someone define it as "genre tourism" which I thought described it pretty well. 16 carriages is nice but the other one...I can't take the banjo seriously I'm sorry :enigma: 

Edited by HelloHangoverz
bottoms up....and the devil laughs
  • Like 2

Gaga2645

Some of y’all are telling on yourselves with your biasesssss maybe check em… 

Since Renaissance it has been known the three Act project would encompass a reclamation of musical genres stolen from black people by white people. I can’t wait for the rock album that’s Act III that’s gonna piss everybody off because it’s gonna be so good. 
some of these jokes already are just not funny…. They just look tone deaf and stupid lmaoo

• Like 6
  • LMAO 9
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 6

Ladle Ghoulash

I have mixed feelings tbh. Texas Hold ‘Em is cute, but largely forgettable. 16 Carriages, imo, was the real standout of the two singles. We’ll see, tho. Not clicking with me the same way Act I did, but I’m not writing it off right away 

• Like 2

INNA

If there's one thing we've seen with Pitchfork, it's that they love to be the contrarian and publish reviews that will create outrage

Bey was raised in Texas and is definitely a southern belle, her parents are from southern states, it's not at all a stretch to say that country music has a place in her life.

I've been seeing a lot of people saying that Bey is making a point with Renaissance acts 1, 2 & 3 to re-claim genres that were originally created by black artists

Act 1 being house

Act 2 being country

Act 3 being rock

So it's probably wise to wait for the full project before we un-claim this whole era. Country and pop are very similar anyways :holdmyhand:

fragment-fragment--bul-uh...scab-uh..fragment-foot, bullet fragment foot bich!
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Ladle Ghoulash
Just now, Gaga2645 said:

Some of y’all are telling on yourselves with your biasesssss maybe check em… 

Since Renaissance it has been known the three Act project would encompass a reclamation of musical genres stolen from black people by white people. I can’t wait for the rock album that’s Act III that’s gonna piss everybody off because it’s gonna be so good. 
some of these jokes already are just not funny…. They just look tone deaf and stupid lmaoo

The mission statement of a project does not and cannot supersede the quality of the music. I appreciate what she’s doing in that respect and I certainly don’t think the songs are bad, but to imply that folks who aren’t liking it on here (a fan base that notoriously doesn’t like anything country adjacent) don’t like it because they’re racist is a bit much. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 14