💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

question

Why are the end of era music videos better?

Mr S

Featured Posts

Mr S

Joanne has horrible videos for it's singles. Then randomly she films John Wayne which is by far the best from the album. 

Stupid Love was horrible, Rain On Me was ok, but 911 was easily her more creative video in years. 

In both cases, she filmed the best video after the era was basically over, while filming mediocre videos when it actually mattered.

One could argue the same is true for ARTPOP. While Applause was a great video, nothing for DWUW. Then GUY was a fairly elaborate video long after the era was done.

• Like 7
  • LMAO 1

palma

Fan service :huntyga:

I truly wish she cared more about her status as a visual artist tbh. 

Is there some reason my LG7 isn't here? Has she died or something?
  • Like 11

Gorehound

I agree that the Stupid Love video was...a choice :madge:.

But the visuals for the album as a whole was tacky campy cyberpunk so I get the ROM video. 911 was a complete breakaway from that aesthetic and I'm glad about that.

Ye I found the Applause video very underwhelming (especially after the visuals from BTW) but she did say that she only had 1 week to plan and make the video which is such a shame. (The DWUW video on the other hand was an absolute disaster from the start).

I know the G.U.Y video is a fan favourite, but I always found it to be a bit of a random disjointed mess, like she was trying to cram so many unused ARTPOP ideas into one thing.

I remember hearing something back in the day that Gaga wasn't very happy with the BTW music video either. Dunno if that's legit but I don't think it turned out the way she wanted. But I defo say that her videos definitely dropped in quality after the BTW era. Many of them look very cheap, or are just bad taste imo.

This doesn't actually answer your question lol I'm just musing.

Edited by Gorehound
I'm fine, Ta
  • Like 5

InTheCloset

I think it could also be because of pressure. Even when you are about to do something new the pressure of it seems a bit overwhelming. In Gaga’s case maybe she thinks too much about how her art would be perceived. But as the era is ending she feels relaxed and does what she wants and feels comfortable doing.  

Where's the spunk, Adam?
  • Like 1

NATAH

Applause, Bad Romance and Judas/BTW are easily the best videos of their eras

the only bad video for Joanne was MR, PI was soooo good... so simple and energetic, a total seizure trip near the end and then snap back into reality whewwww

Edited by NATAH
mother, what must i do?
  • Like 4
  • Shook 1

Magic Mike

I wish people didnt care so much about MVs. we deserve an era with just pure music, one that could even evoke visual elements only with the sound

• Like 1

TimotheeChalamet

I've just rewatched the music video for Million Reasons to remember what it looked like and it's not bad lol, y'all just want Gaga to be over the top and wear 19 different outfits in 3 minutes instead of understanding the personal meaning behind her music. 

Anyways, usually artists close their eras with a bang but I guess in Gaga's case is a coincidence and not every closing video is the best out of the era 

Edited by TimotheeChalamet
  • Like 3

Didymus
23 minutes ago, TimotheeChalamet said:

I've just rewatched the music video for Million Reasons to remember what it looked like and it's not bad lol, y'all just want Gaga to be over the top and wear 19 different outfits in 3 minutes instead of understanding the personal meaning behind her music.

It's bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gorehound
44 minutes ago, TimotheeChalamet said:

Anyways, usually artists close their eras with a bang but I guess in Gaga's case is a coincidence and not every closing video is the best out of the era 

It's not a bad mv per say but it's just very bland, unengaging and feels very last minute. I feel like it kinda works with the song yet doesn't do much to heighten it.

Out of all the beautiful photos and imagery she did for the album I think we all would have preferred something more visually striking along those lines.

latest?cb=20170727052937

DdBcO34VAAAIQGB.jpg

EX6xGkYXgAUNfAB.jpg

lady-gaga-slide-3DSM-articleLarge.jpg?qu

122398829_3768153706537406_7816785146032

122400825_3768153809870729_1458180373830

lady-gaga-slide-EF8A-facebookJumbo.jpg?y

large_011.jpg.5761cea3e3b6fe5370f989fd76

Edited by Gorehound
I'm fine, Ta
  • Like 3

Linus Gaga
57 minutes ago, Magic Mike said:

I wish people didnt care so much about MVs. we deserve an era with just pure music, one that could even evoke visual elements only with the sound

No, music video is the best thing and the thing that keeps me entertaining throughout the era. I was thinking the opposite, we deserve an album with music videos for each song.

Hit me a message and say hi !
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 2

Gorehound
1 hour ago, Magic Mike said:

Music and visual art has always been a marriage made in heaven. Great music deserves great visuals to compliment and heighten it. If not music videos then definitely great still imagery like album artwork and photography etc. 

I'm fine, Ta
  • Like 2

Auralegends

In case of Million Reasons, wasn't the video rushed? At that time, Gaga was really pushing A-Yo but Million Reasons become much more popular, hence all plans for A-Yo were scrapped and she made MR instead.

I think for DWUW it's a bit similar, she wanted Venus, DWUW become super popular so plans scrapped and they quickly taught of an idea for a MV.

In comparison, look at the Quality of Judas, Telephone, Poker Face... those singles were planned

• Thanks 1

danbekim

I guess she gives her all for the last hurrah of an era

If you have some rad remixes you made laying around, send it to me!!
  • Like 1

Anderson123

I like John Wayne and I get the music video is a “return to Gaga” but I still think Perfect Illusion is the best one of those four she made. 

• Like 2

NATAH
2 hours ago, TimotheeChalamet said:

no it is genuinely bad, just really odd and the vibes were off

i could easily create a stunning video concept that appreciates the beauty of the song

mother, what must i do?
  • Thanks 3