opinion

Deadline Reports Studios Avoid To Promote Musicals Movie As Is. Will This Affect Gaga

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Starmie25

This lowkey reminds me of when studios released the trailer for 'Bridge to Terabithia'. They made it seem like it was an epic LOTR meets Narnia type adventure, but instead it was actually a film bout a depressed kid who ends up drowning in a creek :bradley:

Edited by Starmie25
  • Like 1

hieronymus
15 minutes ago, Starmie25 said:

This lowkey reminds me of when studios released the trailer for 'Bridge to Terabithia'. They made it seem like it was an epic LOTR meets Narnia type adventure, but instead it was actually a film bout a depressed kid who ends up drowning in a creek :bradley:

Omfg that book destroyed me. My third grade teacher recommended it to me because she saw me reading Tuck Everlesting. She wanted me dead, I swear.

3 hours ago, Bowman said:

like you’re watching a movie with a gripping storyline and then the next thing characters are swinging around a lampost singing dramatically and it kills the vibe.

SAW: THE MUSICAL: DO YOU WANNA RANDOMLY SING A GAME

• LMAO 2
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1

OutsideWoodys
19 hours ago, River said:

Now that I know that it's a musical I don't want to see it:emma:

ASIB was an exception because the music was mostly performances, but this is like "me brushing teeth and music starts to play in the background and uncontrollably I starts to sing and suddenly there is a flash mob and I find myself in the streets with my pants down"

Yes because breaking out into song is so much more unbelievable and silly than what USUALLY happens in a super hero movie…

• LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1

See but the whole point of Joker has always been Irony, and an almost camp vibe. These tend to usually do well with musicals because they don’t take themselves serious. Think Sweeney Todd , Repo The genetic Opera , Rocky Horror picture show, Little Tree shop of horrors ..these would have never worked if they weren’t musicals. Also Joker was never meant to be a general audience kind of movie a la MCU. The first was rated R and wasn’t expected to do a ton of money. I think it better to go into this movie expecting a art house kind of movie not a blockbuster. 

NewUsername
20 hours ago, River said:

Now that I know that it's a musical I don't want to see it:emma:

ASIB was an exception because the music was mostly performances, but this is like "me brushing teeth and music starts to play in the background and uncontrollably I starts to sing and suddenly there is a flash mob and I find myself in the streets with my pants down"

19 hours ago, Red said:

I don't think people dislike musicals that much, they usually like musicals with a twist, for example, Mamma Mia that is a musical but with ABBA music, La La Land that is a musical but modern, A Stat Is Born that is a musical but people don't burst into music, Disney movies that are musicals, but... by Disney... 

18 hours ago, soularpower said:

With Wonka specifically I was a bit confused why people were surprised by it being a musical when that’s what the story has always been? It’s like getting a remake of Grease and people being surprised it’s a musical, idk. 

anyway, I really do not care for musicals. I find the songs super tedious to sit through and they never feel genuine unless it’s like part of a storyline, like ASIB where she’s literally a singer and is shown performing. Even then tho, I didn’t really care for sitting through the songs during ASIB. 

personally I’m not hyped for Joker bc it’s a musical. If it wasn’t, I’d be way more excited. I’d be pissed if I walked into  a movie and it was a musical but they never mentioned or previewed it that way. But time will tell :sis:

We're more than 5 years later and people are still calling ASIB a musical? :smh: It's NOT a musical!
Film about a music story, with songs and performances =/= musical

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

River
57 minutes ago, NewUsername said:

We're more than 5 years later and people are still calling ASIB a musical? :smh: It's NOT a musical!

Thank you but sometimes it's not nice to tell people the harsh truth :traumatica:

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Reality

For anyone concerned about the musical aspects of Joker 2, I sincerely doubt it's going to be a full-on musical. I think there will be musical elements in it, but it's not gonna be something like The Greatest Showman or West Side Story with huge ensembles singing and dancing for extended periods of time. The first Joker movie was very dark, serious, and gritty, and I don't expect that tone to change for the second film. I think the musical stuff is going to be incorporated in a much more natural way as opposed to Joaquin and Gaga just randomly singing at different points throughout the movie. There's a rumor that the musical elements stem from music therapy in Arkham (or wherever Joker's sent to at the end of the first film), and I think that is a very natural way to make the movie a musical without it being so blatant and obvious.

As for how they'll market Joker 2, this does concern me a little. First of all, when the movie was first announced, it was announced as a musical already, so it's not like people don't know this information. There are definitely still people who are unaware that it's a musical—I'll occasionally see comments surprised that the film's a musical on Twitter and Reddit—but generally speaking, it's public knowledge at this point. I also think, if marketed correctly, highlighting the fact that it is a musical will get people intrigued to know more about the film. I think at this point, the general public is tired of standard superhero fare, so anything that differentiates this film from the comic book movies of the past couple of years is a good thing. 

🃏🖤👹
  • Like 1

David Ward
23 hours ago, hieronymus said:

"flash mob" always takes me back to like 2010 when they were EVERYWHERE. I was so paranoid every time I went in public that there'd suddenly be a flash mob forced on me

I was obsessed with this song 14 years ago :flop:

• Sad 1

eddyjeddy
4 hours ago, Reality said:

For anyone concerned about the musical aspects of Joker 2, I sincerely doubt it's going to be a full-on musical. I think there will be musical elements in it, but it's not gonna be something like The Greatest Showman or West Side Story with huge ensembles singing and dancing for extended periods of time. The first Joker movie was very dark, serious, and gritty, and I don't expect that tone to change for the second film. I think the musical stuff is going to be incorporated in a much more natural way as opposed to Joaquin and Gaga just randomly singing at different points throughout the movie. There's a rumor that the musical elements stem from music therapy in Arkham (or wherever Joker's sent to at the end of the first film), and I think that is a very natural way to make the movie a musical without it being so blatant and obvious.

As for how they'll market Joker 2, this does concern me a little. First of all, when the movie was first announced, it was announced as a musical already, so it's not like people don't know this information. There are definitely still people who are unaware that it's a musical—I'll occasionally see comments surprised that the film's a musical on Twitter and Reddit—but generally speaking, it's public knowledge at this point. I also think, if marketed correctly, highlighting the fact that it is a musical will get people intrigued to know more about the film. I think at this point, the general public is tired of standard superhero fare, so anything that differentiates this film from the comic book movies of the past couple of years is a good thing. 

I predict it’s going to be like Clockwork Orange style or that Bjork movie (with less musical)

• Like 1

TimotheeChalamet
10 hours ago, Starmie25 said:

Exactly, I was so pissed back then when I got to watch it 

• YAAAS 1

hieronymus
17 hours ago, NewUsername said:

16 hours ago, River said:

Thank you but sometimes it's not nice to tell people the harsh truth :traumatica:

It literally is a musical. The songs even help drive the plot.

• Like 1

River
16 minutes ago, hieronymus said:

It literally is a musical. The songs even help drive the plot.

I'm so confused :messga:

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta