Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Unpopular opinion: Chromatica

Blackout19

Featured Posts

BlingNotTheMusic
5 hours ago, The Z said:

@Anderson123 I appreciate the effort. She was really down and still gave us something personnal, and I love the overall concept. I would like to thank her just for that. :holdmyhand:

I guess it was just not for me? I would’ve chosen louder drums and synths in the mix (Break My Soul is heavier than Chromatica imo, even though it’s the same vibe) and I would’ve chosen different chords for the instrumental, but that’s just my taste. For example I like Enigma, but that piano in the chorus sounds off to me, like it’s playing the wrong notes? Or 1000 Doves, I really don’t like the dance version and its chords, but the piano version is amazing. Or Free Woman. I thought the album version quite didn’t elevate the song at all, whereas the chords they used in the Robots With Rayguns remix made the song sound more impactful and emotional, and once again I’m not speaking about the kind of music, but rather what they played with those instruments. 

I also have mixed feelings about the lyrics. Some of them are so great but then some of them sound a bit cheesy to me? :shrug:She says “I can see it in your face, you don’t think I’ve pulled my weight”, and it’s beautiful and great and I wanna hug her:saira: but then suddenly she goes “you love the paparazzi, love the fame, even though you know it causes me pain” and I’m like :bear: it’s always hot and then mega cold. I’d give it a 4/10 tbh.

So much this tbh. 

Everyone goes on and on about Fun Tonight and Plastic Doll, and I'm like ... those lyrics give me Kidz Bop! The PD remix slays but still ...

https://discord.xyz/hausofdelulu
  • Thanks 1

BlingNotTheMusic

Alice - Definitely one of my top 3 on the album. Near perfect. Would love it to be longer with more of the instrumental, but that's a recurring theme on the entire record. Songs just short enough to have 2 verses and chorus. One of my main criticisms of the entire album is it feels entirely rushed. Especially after waiting 7 years for a dance album. The bass and everything is perfect, lives rent-free in my head at all times.

Stupid Love - sounds like an ARTPOP filler/demo. I thought when it originally leaked that it would be tweaked since it sounded so unfinished. But then it was released and was exactly the same. Not sure if Gaga/the label were trying to appeal to the TikTok generation or something (the video) but it just felt off in a lot of ways. The "doot doot doot Doo!" Is super annoying. Tbh not sure how a 34yo woman resonated with that song. It has some cool lyrics but mostly just sounds grating. I have no idea why they chose it as the lead single or even on the album to be honest. Sure it debuted in the top 10 the first week but was #30 the second week :icant: I prefer the remix.

ROM - flawless flawless flawless other than I enjoyed the house production on the leak versus the base line they added. I literally never get sick of this song. I have overplayed it and anytime it comes on I'm transported. The remix is a snooze.

Free Woman - The demo slays, the album version stinks. It's like audio blue balls. It builds and never goes anywhere. Instrumental chorus 🤮 This could've been the highlight of the album for me if they revamped the demo, it had everything. The album version just doesn't do anything! I thought on the tour she would amp it up but it was kind awkward her walking through the stadium during the instrumental chorus. The remix slayssss

Fun Tonight - glorified Kidz Bop Gaga. I see what they were trying to do but it just comes off corny, cheesey, and after-school-special. There's no edge, there's no maturity. Sounds like filler, could've been replaced with Love Me Right dance version.

911 - First of all, THE TRANSITION :giveup: one of my favorite Gaga moments ever and it's literal seconds! The production is everything and as others said previously, this darker sound was what I was hoping for when I heard she was collabing with Boys Noize and SOPHIE. Unfortunately, the chorus feels flat (biggest enemy is me X2) and there's no key change or anything. The Charli remix is cool...the video was a disappointment. Didn't fit the planet Chromatica aesthetic at all. Super random. Missed opportunity to show other sides of Chromatica that are in the map.

Plastic Doll - oh plastic Doll, plastic Doll, where do I start? Another Kidz Bop Gaga, sounds very immature. I see the idea but the execution was questionable. The remix slays! But Rina did with Free Woman what Ashnikko did with this one. Gave it life. Gave it a punch. Otherwise it just falls short for me. Always skip...

Sour Candy - Love love love this production and overall vibe. Unfortunately, Gaga is barely in it and tbh her lines are the best part of the song. It feels like cash grab opportunity gone wrong + they failed to even execute a f*king video :trollga: So many of these songs deserve visuals but man, this was such a disappointment. Her dominatrix vibe is everything but unfortunately, only a few seconds. LOVE the CBT version though.

Enigma - not much to say here. Love the original and love the remix. It slayed live. The subject matter is a little awkward but it's fine. Since it is the name of her pop Vegas residency, I was hoping it would be... different? But overall, a highlight on the album.

Replay - LOOOOVE and the remix? :firega: she's giving the gays everything! Also begging for a video, contains some of Gaga's best lyrics ever, no complaints other than song length.

Sine From Above - not my go-to but I don't skip it (often). The end is crazy but honestly more of what I was expecting for the entire album. I loved the piano version they played during one of her ads. But, of course like always, they didn't f*king release that version because this era is the era of missed opportunities :stalkga:

1000 Doves - Iconic lyrics, Piano version slays, but again, the album version chorus is empty. I genuinely want to know who's idea it was for "1000 duh uh uh uh uh ves". Similar to Free Woman (album version) it doesn't go anywhere. However, some of her best vocals for the album are on this track.

Babylon - demo/Bowie guitar version reigns supreme. The album version is Vogue's little sister. As with most of the songs, could go harder. Just as you're getting into the song, it ends. And then the album is over. THIS (and Free Woman) are the ultimate missed opportunities when it comes to visuals. This screams a music video with LGBTQ+ BIPOC community. Hell, put Haus Labs on them all and do dual promo (since that's pretty much how we will only ever get content anymore) with that said, one of my favs of the album and perfect closer.

All in all, I would say Chromatica is in the top tier of fav Gaga albums, but only because it's highs are very high. It's lows are very low. Maybe one day we will receive 5 singles again, or visual album, double album, live album, acoustic album. I just feel like she doesn't really care about making the music that made her famous anymore :ohwell: 

Here's to LG7 :vegas:

Edited by WheresMy911Alice
https://discord.xyz/hausofdelulu
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Won’t tolerate the Chromatica slander.

Even putting my subjective opinions aside, Chromatica is her most coherent album. Best cover. Stellar stadium tour. Lyrics lack complexity at some points, but overall works alright. Production-wise, you may dislike House-inspired music (as a big techno fan, house is also not my favorite) but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t produced very high level. 

Replay, Alice, Sine from Above, 911, Enigma, Free Woman…. This album is full of amazing track. From start to the end an energy release, hit the floor hard dance music, all while being emotionally vulnerable - everything the fans asked for years from her, only to be criticized due to lack of live performances/promotion.

to me it’s the best Gaga album after Born This Way.

Edited by thisguyN
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

StressedOut

high highs, low lows, the highs are crazy though lol, I love gaga sm.

she always makes sure to put out some songs that keep me hooked to her. Alice, 911, Enigma, Replay, Babylon. Like who else could cook those up??

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

The production is too polished and basic. Like... how is THAT a Gaga album? It's almost embarrassing how uninspired and bland the instrumentals sound.

Too many people here with moral superiority complex.

Blackout19
11 minutes ago, Miky said:

The production is too polished and basic. Like... how is THAT a Gaga album? It's almost embarrassing how uninspired and bland the instrumentals sound.

Oh My God Wow GIF by The Roku Channel

Marilyn Monroe is my best friend.
  • LMAO 1

Gorehound
2 hours ago, Miky said:

That's going a bit far tbh. Yes the music is blander than the likes of BTW and ARTPOP, but there are still lots of fun and exciting moments going on throughout the album.

- The Orchestral Interludes

- The :firega:transition into 911!

- The intense breakbeat ending of SFA

- Huge etherial atmospherics in Enigma

- Glitchy vocal effects in Alice

- Exotic bird calls in Babylon

- Replay.

- Elastic hyperactive beats in Plastic Doll

- Shuddering grinding synths in Stupid Love

... to name a few.

Edited by Gorehound
I'm fine, Ta
  • Like 2

Gorehound
4 hours ago, Blackout19 said:

Oh My God Wow GIF by The Roku Channel

I'm waiting with mild anxiety for you to post an ARTPOP Unpopular Opinions thread :toofunny:

I will so snap on that :fail:

I'm fine, Ta

Cello

It has some hits and misses. 

Love Me Right and 1000 Doves piano version are better than most of the album. 

she/her 💗 free my mind

Blackout19
33 minutes ago, Gorehound said:

I'm waiting with mild anxiety for you to post an ARTPOP Unpopular Opinions thread :toofunny:

I will so snap on that :fail:

The Grinch Christmas GIF

Marilyn Monroe is my best friend.
  • LMAO 1

GovernmentHookah
10 hours ago, Miky said:

Thank Bloodpop