Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
question

Unpopular opinion: Chromatica

Blackout19

Featured Posts

- 1000 Doves album version >>>>>> piano version. 

- Babylon was always superior to the demo.

- 911 is her best music video since the BTW era. 

- Stupid Love is a cute pop song, but it feels so out place on the album. 

- Now that time has passed, I don't think they had a big campaing ready for the album.

- While I do love the album, I really think that if Boys Noize and Sophie ended up being more involved, we could've got Gaga's most experimental and sonically exciting album, but they played it very safe (but I don't think this is an unpopular opinion lmao). 

Edited by LaFama
Its not a fedora u f*ck
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Anderson123

Fun Tonight deserves more love.

Replay is a grower. It was one of my least favorite songs when the album came out. I love it now of course.

911 could've been an interesting lead single. I wish she had gone for 911 -> Rain On Me -> Babylon -> Sour Candy -> Alice with music videos for all of them. Maybe even Enigma and/or Replay.

Free Woman demo is not even that good.

Chromatica could've worked as a double album with Volume 2 focusing on 90s techno, a little darker sound.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Ultimecia

The album starts off fantastic with its first Act but progressively starts getting worse and worse from there.

Stupid Love is in my top 3 favorite Gaga MV. :bye:

Edited by Ultimecia
Time. It will not wait, no matter how hard you hold on...

Gorehound

(Not all unpopular but),

- The production is her best and freshest, but musically it’s very bland a lot of the time. It lacks fully realised melodies, backing vocals and the intricate imaginative details Gaga usually does.

- You can tell that Gaga lacked interest and inspiration on this album in a lot of places. She allowed the producers to take over and they didn’t quite do her aesthetic justice.

- Free Woman could’ve been a great song, but you can tell no one had any idea what to do with it. It’s structure and execution is lazy and half-baked.

- 991 is one of the albums highlights but the chorus is weak and the final chorus falls flat. It needs a more climatic chorus like Judas

- Stupid Love is Gaga at her gayest, but it’s also painfully cheesy and just not ‘good music’

- Alice is great but the Alice in Wonderland aesthetic is very cliche and tired.

- 911 is the only good music video. The other two are cheap and tacky.

- Love the album art, but cyberpunk has so been done.

- It’s super safe. There’s nothing dangerous or daring.

- The weakest bridges of her discography.

- It’s a too bit self-pitying. Gaga likes to wallow in her own misery a lot without any nuance or real resolution. (It's the same with Dope. She touches on an extremely deep topic about drug addiction on an album about pop culture, and could've explored the countless dark tragic examples of it throughout art and pop culture (Amy, Picasso, Cobain, the 27 club etc, the need to take drugs for inspiration, to cope etc.) but instead just wines that she feels miserable).

- The breakbeat breakdown at the end of Sine From Above is one of the very few interesting things that happen on this album.

(Still love the album regardless :kara: and I'm very grateful for Bloodpop, but I like to nitpick it to)

Edited by Gorehound
I'm fine, Ta
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Gorehound
6 minutes ago, LaFama said:

- 1000 Doves album version >>>>>> piano version. 

- Babylon was always superior to the demo.

- 911 is her best music video since the BTW era. 

- Stupid Love is a cute pop song, but it feels so out place on the album. 

- Now that time has passed, I don't think they had a big campaing ready for the album.

- While I do love the album, I really think that if Boys Noize and Sophie ended up being more involved, we could've got Gaga's most experimental and sonically exciting album, but they played it very safe (but I don't think this is an unpopular opinion lmao). 

This. 

I'm fine, Ta
  • Like 2

Anderson123
7 minutes ago, Gorehound said:

- 911 is one of the albums highlights but the chorus is weak and the final chorus falls flat. It needs a more climatic chorus like Judas

I agree. 911 starts really good but the chorus doesn't live up to it's instrumental and gets repetitive after a while. Bad for a song that is under 3 minutes long.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JoanneMonster
1 hour ago, Blackout19 said:

What are your unpopular opinions about the album Chromatica? 

Mine:

- is Gaga's best album

- Rain On Me & Free Woman are in top 3 Gaga's best songs 

- the album cover is the best

- Plastic Doll & 1000 Doves should have been singles 

- Love Me Right should have been on the standard album 

Stupid Love GIF by Lady Gaga

the only thing I agree on is that the cover is the best one.

I think love me right and 1000 doves are especially terrible songs, some of her worst, up there with the cure.

I See You

Werewoof

I don’t know if I have many opinions on it that aren’t popular. But I will say that I think in theory Dawn is more engaging than Chromatica. I think Chromatica is executed better, but Dawn is so fascinating because it’s absolutely wild and eclectic. It’s sort of what I wanted from Chromatica when I first saw the concept art and the single covers—has that otherworldly madness to it. That being said, I don’t prefer most of the remixes to the originals, save for the Plastic Doll remix which I love with a burning passion and the Babylon remix with Bree. My truly unpopular opinion is that the album version of Babylon does nothing for me, but the demo and Breemix do. And I don’t know why, since the Breemix isn’t that different, but it has more umfph to it or something 

Edited by Werewolves Wanted
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Maxine Puth

Negative opinions: 

Her weakest solo album

The first ACT had so much potential, especially after hearing ROM and Free Woman demos. It’s obvious the producers simplified things too much to make a “clean” album, which imo isn’t worth it and doesn’t make any sense in Gaga’s discography. 

Wish we heard more of what they were making in 2018 / early 2019, it sounds like the album took an unfortunate turn after that. 

Positive: 

At least it’s something “different,” which I respect in the grand scheme of her discography. It just kinda sucks that we waited 3+ years after Joanne for it and now another 3+ years after for her next album. 

Enigma and Replay are discography highlights

I think the aesthetic was cool, especially during the 911 mini era. 

I also think the lyrics are great

Edited by Maxine Puth
  • Like 2

Maxine Puth
5 minutes ago, Werewolves Wanted said:

I don’t know if I have many opinions on it that aren’t popular. But I will say that I think in theory Dawn is more engaging than Chromatica. I think Chromatica is executed better, but Dawn is so fascinating because it’s absolutely wild and eclectic. It’s sort of what I wanted from Chromatica when I first saw the concept art and the single covers—has that otherworldly madness to it. That being said, I don’t prefer most of the remixes to the originals, save for the Plastic Doll remix which I love with a burning passion and the Babylon remix with Bree. My truly unpopular opinion is that the album version of Babylon does nothing for me, but the demo and Breemix do. And I don’t know why, since the Breemix isn’t that different, but it has more umfph to it or something 

I agree with the Plastic Doll remix, it’s crazy how much potential that song had and I respect Ashnikko as an artist more after hearing it. 

I also agree with Babylon… the album version is just kinda boring, like I get what it’s trying to be but it doesn’t go as hard as it should. The alternative versions are more interesting.

• Like 2

I caused havoc posting this in a similar thread and here we go again:

The tracklist order is bad

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Delulu Rogers

The production is very basic and holds back the album

They had no big plans to promote the album

The songs suffer from lack of choruses, bridges or verses 

Free woman is ruined by the boring edm drop 

It's her best album cover

911 is her best mv since ARTPOP

Babylon demo is not better than the final 

• Like 3

LeafBug
1 hour ago, Blackout19 said:

- is Gaga's best album

- Rain On Me & Free Woman are in top 3 Gaga's best songs 

- the album cover is the best

Stupid Love GIF by Lady Gaga

THIS. :firega:

• Love 2

lilmonster2424

- The album has aged the worst out of all of her albums

- Babylon is one of her best songs and should have been a single and an epic music video (same w/ Replay, but especially Babylon)

- Babylon album version >>>>>> demo/haus labs version

- Free Woman album version was one of the worst mistakes they could have made, a reworked demo version could have been one of the highlights of the album

- Her most forgettable album

- It should have leaned more experimental/industrial/dark and stuck with SOPHIE & Boys Noize

- Way too many filler tracks that aren't too strong (Fun Tonight, Plastic Doll, 1000 Doves)

- Her best album cover and some of her best visuals, however they were wasted and not explored to their best potential.

This makes me sound like a hater, but it was tied as my favorite Gaga album when it came out. In my opinion it truly has aged the worst out of her albums, and I return to it the least. 

Edited by lilmonster2424
  • Like 4

skedaddleBItCh

Her best album, all-rounder tbh

Also the ohohoh sample on Enigma is probably one of her best production highlights lmao

Edited by skedaddleBItCh
🇵🇭༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽🇵🇭
  • Like 1
  • Love 4