💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Did Taylor have any hits in 2016-2021?

qoqo

Featured Posts

TEANUS

The biggest in that period were LWYMMD, Delicate, You Need to Calm Down, and Cardigan, so yes

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

Taylucifer
6 hours ago, The Z said:

I can’t answer your main question cause I’m from France and it’s not really Taylor’s market, BUT I can tell you that indeed, the entire french Gen Z (is that what they’re called?) knows the “It’s me, hi, I’m the problem it’s me” line, from YouTube Shorts, TikTok etc., kinda like “I’ll dance, dance, dance“. I feel that it’s one of these songs that pull great numbers and yet most people kinda know it without knowing much about it or where it comes from? I would compare that kind of impact to that song that goes “I-I follow, I follow you”. Or the one that goes “I’ve got no roots ooh ooh ooooh“. Does that make sense?

That is a good point, it's a very tiktok core line. It gets the streams, what you said makes sense, the examples you gave I have zero clue unless ur referencing a Treacherous for the first one, but I get what you mean

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW

Taylucifer
8 hours ago, dimitristhe said:

I’m Greek and that song is certified Gold here for 1 million streams. In that metric is a HUGE success if you take into account that Greece has an 11 million population!

In Greece radio is still very popular and is a major factor of a songs success, if a song is popular enough it will be played on the radio constantly, also if radio is playing a song then it becames a hit. As a frequent radio listener I know for a fact that Anti Hero was never a radio hit here. So, radio never picked up the song even though it is a major streaming success. So, the reason they never picked it up is because the GP didn’t really appreciate the song.

Sure, is a HUGE streaming and Tik Tok success. In the end of the day it doesn’t matter if the success comes mainly from her fan base or the GP. I strongly believe she should be really proud for her continuously expanding fambase, because that’s something unique. 

I think at the end of the day any song she released in Anti Hero's place and Midnights the album's place would have done similar numbers. She has grown her fanbase so much, there are so many eyes on her from the re-recordings to post folklore/evermore a mammoth success was bound to happen provided the music was listenable (but hindsight is 2020, at the time we had no clue how this was going to go). I think so much of her fanbase and the GP overlap now that it doesn't really matter at the end of the day what is a universal hit and what is a hit for fans of her because they are becoming more similar than I think we realise.

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW

jaXXXon
19 hours ago, thisboyisamonster said:

Cardigan and willow hit number one on debut. So did LWYMMD I believe. The Lover singles did well enough, maybe not to the scale of Anti Hero/Shake it off but definitely nothing to scoff at. She's been pretty inescapable throughout I think.

Both Cardigan and Willow were fueled by discounts and remixes and then dropped like a rock after their debut (Willow even broke a record for the largest drop in BBH100 history), so they're not hits at all. They're flops. 

LWYMMD was a hit but it was very local to the States and Anglosphere. The Lover singles did well on radio but are forgotten. 

Cruel Summer is her biggest hit in years. 

Edited by jaXXXon

11 hours ago, Agunimon said:

But we are talking about Taylor Swift, who is obviously not a one hit wonder considering she is the most successful artist in modern day music. I'm not sure why @Glojuice is comparing Out of the Woods, Style and All Too Well which @Taylucifer said were moderates with one of Gaga's most iconic songs. Those songs are not Just Dance levels of success, but others are.

Yeah, I actually missed a line to explain that her moderate hits are definitely famous only within a swiftie circle. But even her big hits like blank space, i really don’t see it as a cultural breakthrough as hit me baby one more time. No one’s arguing that she doesn’t have hits but I feel some of you are looking at it from very American optics. Until 1989, Taylor wasn’t really that international and it’s only after 2020 that she became bigger than every other pop artist. Some people mentioning songs like delicate etc that didn’t even make top 20 in most countries. LWYMD and Me! we’re huge declines in quality for her and without her amazing Covid albums Taylor would not be as huge as she is today. 

A great snapshot to see how huge a hit was internationally is to check out the discography table on Wikipedia. Songs like Born this way have “1s” across the board. Taylor doesn’t have a single song that went 1 across the board. Shake it off was her closest 

Edited by Glojuice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i can't believe i'm reading somebody call SIO not an iconic hit when that song literally refuses to die

i hate that song and i hate how popular it is

mother, what must i do?
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NATAH said:

i can't believe i'm reading somebody call SIO not an iconic hit when that song literally refuses to die

My initial point wasn’t actually about SIO but yeah there was a discussion about it and internationally it made the top 20 in only 3 year end charts. Maybe there’s a distinction, she has iconic hits in the US UK and the anglophone countries but internationally not as much. And I actually think SIO is Taylor’s biggest hit, it’s the song most people will know. Don’t disagree with that 

boiswifty

I guess it depends on which country you're from? 

She didn't have a significant hit in Norway until Anti Hero and Cruel Summer, with Cruel Summer being the most stable on the daily top 50 among the 2 (yes, I check the charts very often lol) 

She's also gotten bigger here in terms of popularity. I think it all started when she released FOLKLORE. That album got a lot of positive reviews EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD. I feel like even Midnights wasn't that big of a hit here, but Anti Hero carried. I heard AH everywhere, in stores and in parties, people at work had it on their playlists. Her Eras Tour movie is on top of the charts right now, and I'm very surprised it's still going strong after a week of release (me and I'm sure a lot of other swifties having seen it twice contributed to that lol). 

I feel like this really is her PEAK year/era and I kind of feel her decline is coming like most of other artists after they've hit their PEAKEST OF PEAKS eras. But then again Taylor always peaks and repeaks!! so swiftie or not, you really can't deny her phenomenon

boiswifty
45 minutes ago, NATAH said:

SIO is becoming the new Hey-Ya. 

SIO is here to stay for centuries to come. 

thisboyisamonster

Since when do people use SIO for shake it off loool

Edited by thisboyisamonster
  • Thanks 1

TheFame Monster

The people in here trying to discredit Taylor Swift need to give it a rest. You sound deranged trying to say she doesn’t have hits like Gaga, Rihanna, or Beyoncé. Especially in 2016-21, she was undeniably bigger than all of those artists. She’s never had a “flop” or even underperforming album. Between 2016-21, she had I Don’t Wanna Live Forever (with Zayn), Look What You Made Me Do, Delicate, Lover (has over 1B streams), cardigan, All Too Well. While they might not have all peaked at #1 or showed longevity on Billboard charts, they have been consistent on Spotify. 

LWYMMD and ATW were events in pop culture. Also august has turned into a seasonal classic

Edited by TheFame Monster

11 hours ago, TheFame Monster said:

The people in here trying to discredit Taylor Swift need to give it a rest. You sound deranged trying to say she doesn’t have hits like Gaga, Rihanna, or Beyoncé. Especially in 2016-21, she was undeniably bigger than all of those artists. She’s never had a “flop” or even underperforming album. Between 2016-21, she had I Don’t Wanna Live Forever (with Zayn), Look What You Made Me Do, Delicate, Lover (has over 1B streams), cardigan, All Too Well. While they might not have all peaked at #1 or showed longevity on Billboard charts, they have been consistent on Spotify. 

LWYMMD and ATW were events in pop culture. Also august has turned into a seasonal classic

I don’t think anyone’s trying to discredit her or say she’s not the biggest popstar in the world by a huge margin. The debate is more about iconic hits and whether she has them. I see a lot of people talk about delicate being played on the radio a lot etc but these are very US centric examples. What about the rest of the world? If you actually look at her discography she doesn’t have as many huge non US UK Aus NZ big hits. 

President Biden
On 10/19/2023 at 4:43 AM, Taylucifer said:

I agree but also it was Taylor's only song on Spotify for a while there so swifties really had nothing else to do but stream it

I would disagree with the statement that she doesn't have monster hits, You Belong With Me is a straight boy's bread and butter and if she can capture that market it is a hit. Other songs I hear all the time alongside those songs you mentioned are Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble, 22 and Blank Space. Shake It Off is not usually what I would put on to get people hyped about Taylor but it is still very popular, probably her biggest hit at the time but not as enduring as some other tracks as it was so over played in 2014, will be interesting to see how she goes about the Taylor's version of it. 

That's also not even really including songs which are moderately popular like Our Song, Enchanted, Mean, All Too Well, Bad Blood, Style and Out of The Woods

Love Story is like one of the most popular US college party songs alongside like….All of the Lights, Party in the US, Last Friday Night and Promiscous Girl

I got drunk
  • Love 1

TheFame Monster
8 hours ago, Glojuice said:

I don’t think anyone’s trying to discredit her or say she’s not the biggest popstar in the world by a huge margin. The debate is more about iconic hits and whether she has them. I see a lot of people talk about delicate being played on the radio a lot etc but these are very US centric examples. What about the rest of the world? If you actually look at her discography she doesn’t have as many huge non US UK Aus NZ big hits. 

what I’m hearing is she has big hits in all of the major music markets around the world :trollga: