💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Did Taylor have any hits in 2016-2021?

qoqo

Featured Posts

I think it’s interesting how these last few years Taylor Swift have become this phenomenon in pop culture without having an actual hit that’s well known by the general public for many years

Style and Bad Blood were released as singles in 2015 and had some success, her collaboration with Zayn came out a year later which also did pretty well even tho I’m not sure how memorable it is by the public

and then I feel like the album run of reputation/lover/folklore/evermore didn’t have any big gp hits, until anti hero and cruel summer this year

Am I wrong? thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Karl said:

Look what you made me do, End Game, Me!, You need to calm down, the man were all pretty big I think? 

Were they really? Outside of Stan culture

like no one I know knows these I believe

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

thisboyisamonster

Cardigan and willow hit number one on debut. So did LWYMMD I believe. The Lover singles did well enough, maybe not to the scale of Anti Hero/Shake it off but definitely nothing to scoff at. She's been pretty inescapable throughout I think.

Edited by thisboyisamonster
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

LWYMMD was number 1 for 6 weeks, and I think that's her only hit from that time. Lover was a medium hit too even though it didn't top charts. Her other songs that debuted at number 1 during that time were not hits tbh

Edited by Lucas
  • Thanks 1

Illuminati

The song with Zayn is one of her most streamed hits with over a billion streams so I wouldn't say it's insignificant.

I think in terms of weeks at #1 Anti-Hero was the biggest hit of her career, and then Cruel Summer came back, both have pretty much had a residency on the charts for a very long time. They feel bigger than the rest because they are bigger than many usual hits for any artist.

Edited by Illuminati
  • Like 3

Taylor hasn’t really had many monster hits. Like think about it, every new year people play Rihanna, Gaga, Miley, Beyonce, the Weeknd and Bieber hits but does anyone really play shake it off. She’s got the biggest fan base right now but her catalogue is not filled with monster hits. When I say monster hits I mean Bad Romance, blinding lights, Toxic, single ladies, As it was etc. 

Edited by Glojuice
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Taylucifer

LWYMMD, had its moment from 'the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now, why? oh, cause she's dead'

All Too Well (10 minute version) in 2021 was also pretty massive, probably the closest thing she had to a big cultural moment around a song since LWYMMD. 

Other than that I do get what you mean, she didn't have a truely inescapable song, she really tried with ME! or You Need to Calm Down but those were not well received. Cardigan & Willow truely just ran off her own star power and the allure of a surprise drop from Taylor but were moderately successful. There was a string of tiktok trends; wildest dreams, don't blame me, enchanted, which ended up going not really anywhere mainstream wise. August I think has potential to be a seasonal hit as it has grown every year since release, but only time will tell. 

However in saying that I wouldn't say during this period she particularly needed a hit, Cruel Summer in 2019 could have been great for her or it could have just made people sick of her again, I think the lack of a beloved hit off Lover in some cases worked in her favour in the long run allowing her to have a bit more breathing room and reorient herself and her music. 2020 certainly didn't need a hit song either, folklore and evermore were such cultural moments without a big song attached, people tuned in and took what they liked. 2021 was the start of the Taylor's Version albums, Fearless seemed to very much be a test run, with very little promo behind it but once she saw how popular it was she really ran with it, giving Red & All Too Well (both the 10 minute version & short film) their time in the sun. Then obviously Midnights with Anti-Hero were 2022 endured in 2023, and Cruel Summer has FINALLY risen. 

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW
  • Love 1

Future Lovers
5 minutes ago, Glojuice said:

Taylor hasn’t really had many monster hits. Like think about it, every new year people play Rihanna, Gaga, Miley, Beyonce, the Weeknd and Bieber hits but does anyone really play shake it off. 

Well considering it’s at over 1 billion streams, as is Blank Space, it appears that yes they do. 

• Like 6

Taylucifer
20 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

The song with Zayn is one of her most streamed hits with over a billion streams so I wouldn't say it's insignificant.

I agree but also it was Taylor's only song on Spotify for a while there so swifties really had nothing else to do but stream it

3 minutes ago, Glojuice said:

Taylor hasn’t really had many monster hits. Like think about it, every new year people play Rihanna, Gaga, Miley, Beyonce, the Weeknd and Bieber hits but does anyone really play shake it off. She’s got the biggest fan base right now but her catalogue is not filled with monster hits. When I say monster hits I mean Bad Romance, blinding lights, Toxic, single ladies etc. 

I would disagree with the statement that she doesn't have monster hits, You Belong With Me is a straight boy's bread and butter and if she can capture that market it is a hit. Other songs I hear all the time alongside those songs you mentioned are Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble, 22 and Blank Space. Shake It Off is not usually what I would put on to get people hyped about Taylor but it is still very popular, probably her biggest hit at the time but not as enduring as some other tracks as it was so over played in 2014, will be interesting to see how she goes about the Taylor's version of it. 

That's also not even really including songs which are moderately popular like Our Song, Enchanted, Mean, All Too Well, Bad Blood, Style and Out of The Woods

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Glojuice said:

Taylor hasn’t really had many monster hits. Like think about it, every new year people play Rihanna, Gaga, Miley, Beyonce, the Weeknd and Bieber hits but does anyone really play shake it off. She’s got the biggest fan base right now but her catalogue is not filled with monster hits. When I say monster hits I mean Bad Romance, blinding lights, Toxic, single ladies, As it was etc. 

I would make a distinction between "Iconic hits" and "monster chart-wise hits"... Bad romance falls into the first category: it never reached the  #1 spot yet it's so well known.

I would replace "toxic" with "Hit me baby one more time"; agreeing with single ladies (also crazy in love)... but Blinding Lights seems to be more of a "monster chart hit" to me. I might be wrong about Abel's song, it may be more iconic than I realize,  but when you name drop AS IT WAS... well, SHAKE IT OFF IS MUCH MORE ICONIC THAN THAT and the weeks Harry held the #1 spot were mainly driven by the FACT that  there was very little competition at the time, that's why he got so many weeks atop. However, that song remains leagues behind shake it off impact and universes behind "crazy in love/baby one more time/bad romance" slayage (despite harry maybe having more #1 weeks with this song than the girls with those songs combined):D

Edited by POPLOVER

41 minutes ago, POPLOVER said:

I would make a distinction between "Iconic hits" and "monster chart-wise hits"... Bad romance falls into the first category: it never reached the  #1 spot yet it's so well known.

I would replace "toxic" with "Hit me baby one more time"; agreeing with single ladies (also crazy in love)... but Blinding Lights seems to be more of a "monster chart hit" to me. I might be wrong about Abel's song, it may be more iconic than I realize,  but when you name drop AS IT WAS... well, SHAKE IT OFF IS MUCH MORE ICONIC THAN THAT and the weeks Harry held the #1 spot were mainly driven by the FACT that  there was very little competition at the time, that's why he got so many weeks atop. However, that song remains leagues behind shake it off impact and universes behind "crazy in love/baby one more time/bad romance" slayage (despite harry maybe having more #1 weeks with this song than the girls with those songs combined):D

As it was has almost 3 billion streams on Spotify and is one is one of the most streamed songs of all time. Considering it’s still a relatively new song I totally disagree that it’s not an iconic hit. That song is a behemoth and moved Harry into the A league for musicians. 

59 minutes ago, Taylucifer said:

I agree but also it was Taylor's only song on Spotify for a while there so swifties really had nothing else to do but stream it

I would disagree with the statement that she doesn't have monster hits, You Belong With Me is a straight boy's bread and butter and if she can capture that market it is a hit. Other songs I hear all the time alongside those songs you mentioned are Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble, 22 and Blank Space. Shake It Off is not usually what I would put on to get people hyped about Taylor but it is still very popular, probably her biggest hit at the time but not as enduring as some other tracks as it was so over played in 2014, will be interesting to see how she goes about the Taylor's version of it. 

That's also not even really including songs which are moderately popular like Our Song, Enchanted, Mean, All Too Well, Bad Blood, Style and Out of The Woods

As poplover has made a good distinction between Monster hits and iconic hits. Taylor has a lot of hit singles but she has no iconic hits. If I went out on the street and interviewed different age ranges would they know out of the woods or Style or even All too well. And I mean beyond the US. Even though Australia is the biggest market for Taylor I rarely hear her songs in clubs or parties and almost never any of her old hits like love song. Now when Just dance’s opening riff starts, crowds still go wild. 

Edited by Glojuice
  • Like 1