Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Did Taylor have any hits in 2016-2021?

qoqo

Featured Posts

r4therupbeat

it doesn't matter because due to having one of the best teams on the same level as drake and the weekend she snatched another no1. Bloody Mary got sent to radio and they changed the single cover on spotify... whereas the weekend and T got another no1 and over a billion views because their teams actually did their job.. wow

On 10/20/2023 at 8:57 PM, thisboyisamonster said:

Since when do people use SIO for shake it off loool

since acronyms existed

mother, what must i do?

4 hours ago, TheFame Monster said:

what I’m hearing is she has big hits in all of the major music markets around the world :trollga:

That’s right. But what about the rest of the world? 

StrawberryBlond

I can't believe it's 2023 and we still have a problem differentiating between a US specific hit and a worldwide hit. Taylor's success is so massive in America especially in album sales that it covers the lack of international support, always has, but it doesn't change the fact that she's always struggled to get worldwide hits. If you're a non-American and don't listen to her or keep up with pop culture news, you will know very few songs. The only real global success that she had between 2016-2021 was LWYMMD. That was her first UK #1, which most artists do within their first 3 albums or less but it took her a lot longer to truly hit here. This is why I don't get where all this demand for stadium dates have come from countries that she's never toured in and who have never made her songs big. There are artists who are having a much bigger era in these countries but they can't tour stadiums there, so it's very confusing. A lot must be said for the whole cultural phenomenon thing. Cardigan, Willow and those Red re-release songs doing so well in America is really testament to that being her true market. The rest of the world just didn't get it. American success is amazing and all and I'm not knocking it but to non-Americans, we see the glorification of American success above all else as pretty corny.

On 10/20/2023 at 3:50 AM, Glojuice said:

A great snapshot to see how huge a hit was internationally is to check out the discography table on Wikipedia. Songs like Born this way have “1s” across the board. Taylor doesn’t have a single song that went 1 across the board. Shake it off was her closest 

That's what I do as well, it's a great way to get a global picture at a glance. When you scroll down the list of international charting positions and see a lot of double figures and then magically see #3, #2 and #1 in anglophone countries, it's clear to see that some artists just truly can't crack the 'worldwide hit' concept.

• Love 1

Agunimon
On 10/19/2023 at 10:50 PM, Glojuice said:

Yeah, I actually missed a line to explain that her moderate hits are definitely famous only within a swiftie circle. But even her big hits like blank space, i really don’t see it as a cultural breakthrough as hit me baby one more time. No one’s arguing that she doesn’t have hits but I feel some of you are looking at it from very American optics. Until 1989, Taylor wasn’t really that international and it’s only after 2020 that she became bigger than every other pop artist. Some people mentioning songs like delicate etc that didn’t even make top 20 in most countries. LWYMD and Me! we’re huge declines in quality for her and without her amazing Covid albums Taylor would not be as huge as she is today. 

A great snapshot to see how huge a hit was internationally is to check out the discography table on Wikipedia. Songs like Born this way have “1s” across the board. Taylor doesn’t have a single song that went 1 across the board. Shake it off was her closest 

That makes more sense.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
alestevens
On 10/23/2023 at 1:09 PM, StrawberryBlond said:

I can't believe it's 2023 and we still have a problem differentiating between a US specific hit and a worldwide hit. Taylor's success is so massive in America especially in album sales that it covers the lack of international support, always has, but it doesn't change the fact that she's always struggled to get worldwide hits. If you're a non-American and don't listen to her or keep up with pop culture news, you will know very few songs. The only real global success that she had between 2016-2021 was LWYMMD. That was her first UK #1, which most artists do within their first 3 albums or less but it took her a lot longer to truly hit here. This is why I don't get where all this demand for stadium dates have come from countries that she's never toured in and who have never made her songs big. There are artists who are having a much bigger era in these countries but they can't tour stadiums there, so it's very confusing. A lot must be said for the whole cultural phenomenon thing. Cardigan, Willow and those Red re-release songs doing so well in America is really testament to that being her true market. The rest of the world just didn't get it. American success is amazing and all and I'm not knocking it but to non-Americans, we see the glorification of American success above all else as pretty corny.

That's what I do as well, it's a great way to get a global picture at a glance. When you scroll down the list of international charting positions and see a lot of double figures and then magically see #3, #2 and #1 in anglophone countries, it's clear to see that some artists just truly can't crack the 'worldwide hit' concept.

First of all, having or not having a #1 doesn't determine relevance, not in the UK or anywhere else. Love Story, WANEGBT, I Knew You Were Trouble and the 5 1989 hits were all huge in the UK, not hitting #1 due to her refusal to do delayed single releases like everyone else did back then, or to have her singles up on streaming, doesn't mean she wasn't relevant.

Second, Taylor as an artist has always trascended hit singles. Her albums are consumed as a whole with or without hit singles to go along, and that's exactly what's happening in these places where she "didn't have hits" as well. If you check the year end album charts she's present in basically all of them.

For example, in Germany, which is an extremely hard market to crack, she has SEVEN entries in the year end Top 50.

In the UK, she has 8 in the Top 50 (with a 9th at #51)

Being an albums artist is the true testament to her legacy, and over the years, she has managed to turn that into a global thing. And she has done it so well that she's now back to getting smash hits along the ride too!