Howard Stern claims that Rihanna “lip-synced 85%” of her Super Bowl performance

Teletubby

Featured Posts

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
androiduser

85% or more, to be perfectly honest...

and before anyone starts pulling excuses, yes, pregnant women can sing.

ChrissyBot
11 minutes ago, androiduser said:

85% or more, to be perfectly honest...

and before anyone starts pulling excuses, yes, pregnant women can sing.

This. Rihanna has no excuses. Beyoncé performed and sing her ass off while pregnant like 3 times and pulled it off

Chromatography

am i the only one who thought it was just heavy back tracking? the audio didn’t sync very well but the stream i was watching was choppy 

Catnikko
5 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

am i the only one who thought it was just heavy back tracking? the audio didn’t sync very well but the stream i was watching was choppy 

I thought that too until I rewatched and her 'live' voice kept singing on words she didn't even open her mouth for and didn't play on some words you could see she actually sang

Dance in the shadow of the meow

Ultimecia

No kidding. :ladyhaha:

Witnessing Rihanna's "performance" and rewatching Katy & Madonna's Halftime Shows these last few days made me realize how good we have it as Gaga fans. Apparently expecting "singers" to actually sing is too much to ask - At least I'm reminded as to why I love Gaga so much, and to never take her immense talent for granted.

Time. It will not wait, no matter how hard you hold on...

RenegAde

Can someone on here who's actually knowledgeable about these things clarify if it was a backing track or lip sync. If it was indeed lip sync 100% then that would be super disappointing and inexcusable I'm sorry, pregnant or not 

Future Lovers
17 minutes ago, RenegAde said:

Can someone on here who's actually knowledgeable about these things clarify if it was playback or lip sync. If it was indeed lip sync 100% then that would be super disappointing and inexcusable I'm sorry, pregnant or not 

Part of was lip synced and part of it wasn’t. When she wasn’t lipping, the backtrack was very loud and poorly mixed for TV but apparently was not quite as overbearing in the stadium. The lipping that was done was done poorly on her end, but she was live for several spots of it. The lipping was most used when she was on the moving platforms. 

The thing bearing mind for a lot of this is that live TV broadcasts like this have FCC intervention. If an artist is deemed risky, they will come under more oversight than others. Rihanna’s setlist featured songs with a lot of expletives and that would which would put her under more scrutiny than say Katy Perry or Shakira/JLo. 

While they do not force artists to lip sync, they highly encourage as much of it or playback as possible as it reduces potential slip ups. I’m not saying that was the only motivation to use it, but I am saying the use of it most definitely would’ve been highly encouraged. 

There is more lip syncing or heavy back track use in live television performances than I think stans would like to admit to themselves, but anyone who’s worked in sound knows how common it is. It has tl be. FCC oversight is vicious. 

Madonna was heavily fined for MIA flipping the camera off for a few seconds. They don’t play around with the halftime show and this is why mant artists do choose to only do bits and pieces of it completely live. Beyonce and Gaga both are notable examples of artists who did more live than not  (Gaga especially went to great lengths to do almost all of it live without assistance and I don’t think she went into full lip territory) but neither did every note of their set 100% live with no assistance. That assistance varies per artist. 

The only reason it’s as visible with Rihanna as it was is because she’s not as good at hiding it (or doesn’t care as much to) as Beyonce or Gaga or Madonna and the like. 

Auralegends
13 minutes ago, RenegAde said:

Can someone on here who's actually knowledgeable about these things clarify if it was playback or lip sync. If it was indeed lip sync 100% then that would be super disappointing and inexcusable I'm sorry, pregnant or not 

5 minutes ago, Future Lovers said:

Part of was lip synced and part of it wasn’t. When she wasn’t lipping, the backtrack was very loud and poorly mixed for TV but apparently was not quite as overbearing in the stadium. The lipping that was done was done poorly on her end, but she was live for several spots of it. The lipping was most used when she was on the moving platforms. 

The thing bearing mind for a lot of this is that live TV broadcasts like this have FCC intervention. If an artist is deemed risky, they will come under more oversight than others. Rihanna’s setlist featured songs with a lot of expletives and that would which would put her under more scrutiny than say Katy Perry or Shakira/JLo. 

While they do not force artists to lip sync, they highly encourage as much of it or playback as possible as it reduces potential slip ups. I’m not saying that was the only motivation to use it, but I am saying the use of it most definitely would’ve been highly encouraged. 

There is more lip syncing or heavy back track use in live television performances than I think stans would like to admit to themselves, but anyone who’s worked in sound knows how common it is. It has tl be. FCC oversight is vicious. 

Madonna was heavily fined for MIA flipping the camera off for a few seconds. They don’t play around with the halftime show and this is why mant artists do choose to only do bits and pieces of it completely live. Beyonce and Gaga both are notable examples of artists who did more live than not but neither did every note of their set 100% live. 

The only reason it’s as visible with Rihanna as it was is because she’s not as good at hiding it (or doesn’t care as much to) as Beyonce or Gaga or Madonna and the like. 

I agree that I don't think it was 100% lip sync, but when watching it for the first time, a slip up was very noticeable at 10:04 in the youtube video

Future Lovers
1 minute ago, Auralegends said:

I agree that I don't think it was 100% lip sync, but when watching it for the first time, a slip up was very noticeable at 10:04

Yeah she is not and has never been very good at it. It was bound to happen. I think most people in the GP like to assume artists are always live so whenever things like this happen, they always get so shocked. 

RenegAde
1 hour ago, Future Lovers said:

Madonna was heavily fined for MIA flipping the camera off for a few seconds. They don’t play around with the halftime show and this is why mant artists do choose to only do bits and pieces of it completely live. Beyonce and Gaga both are notable examples of artists who did more live than not  (Gaga especially went to great lengths to do almost all of it live without assistance and I don’t think she went into full lip territory) but neither did every note of their set 100% live with no assistance. That assistance varies per artist. 

Love your input

I actually don't mind artists lip syncing certain kinds of performances like half time shows and award show performances (don't drag me guys) because as you pointed, sound can be tricky especially if its televised live.

i dont mind lip syncing under two conditions. One is that we give credit to the singers who actually work their ass off and sing live (which we do). And the other is, if the artist who is lip syncing actually makes up for it with stage presence, showmanship and commitment.

Sadly, in this case I don't think rihanna made up for it. I really love the stage set up but it truly wasn't enough. I know people say shes not one for grand shows but the superbowl should be a grand show and if your aren't going to bring it then you aren't qualified. Bring in special guests to spice it up 

Archived