Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

This HAUNTINGLY Infamous Song! đŸŽ”

En_Sabah_Nur

Featured Posts

En_Sabah_Nur

Have any of you ever heard of this Hauntingly Infamous song before?!   

BACKSTORY: This song was originally a poem and was introduced to the famous blues singer Billie Holiday in 1939. The U.S. government (FBI) came after her for singing this song!  The FBI Director at that time, (Harry Anslinger) asked her to stop singing the song. She said No!  He basically harassed her, had her watched 24/7. When she was in hospital dying (Because of years of extensive drug use) she was handcuffed to her bed. Denied medical treatment or access to an Attorney. She gave her life for this Song!!  😔

Egypt. W

the lynching history behind this song omg :( 

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

Arcanum

Billie holiday was such a blessing to this world! A jazz pioneer, an activist to a time that was very rough to black people, every song of hers is really timeless.

Didn't know about the backstory of "strange fruit" and the challenges she faced to defend her craft, that ultimately cost her life. Courageous and sad indeed.

What I did know though, was about "Gloomy Sunday", where her label demanded her changing the lyrics to the song because it openly and blatantly talked about committing suicide. She pulled the original version under pressure and changed the lyrics to have a more friendly appeal. To this day this song is considered somehow "cursed", because it is associated with almost 20 suicides, including the song's composer. I remember the first time I have listened it some very dark thoughts creeped into my mind, but that was it. 

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

En_Sabah_Nur
4 hours ago, ThePerfectCure said:

I just listened to Nina’s version. I’m not going to sleep all night. Thanks!

Sorry! Â đŸ€·đŸŸâ€â™‚ïž

Egypt. W

Archived