Economy 53,165 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 4 minutes ago, Lukas96 said: Reflective surfaces in general get quite hot and, looking at it, it seem's it will be directly hit by the sun. Yeah ik if it's reflective it will make it hot. I'm asking about the construction details. Is it supposed to be surrounded by extra reflective stuff? And different from a standard city in that sense I assume? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,165 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 2 minutes ago, gabeoz said: This is going to meet the same fate as the Jeddah tower. At this point the Saudi government is just trying to announce mega projects that will never finish to order to keep relevance I don't think the government is purposely announcing projects it plans not to finish to keep relevance tho The Jeddah tower had reasons that got in the way. The government didn't just randomly decide it didn't want it anymore Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Meat 18,962 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 Trash but what’s new Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
FfFfFfFF 59,017 Posted January 2, 2023 Author Share Posted January 2, 2023 1 hour ago, Economy said: Not to burst OPs bubble but this news has been on for quite some time 😅 Im not surprised the Saudi government will kill people who stand in the way of major plans they have I dunno how hard to death they will be worked tho (unless it's foreigners that are hired to do this) Given Saudi Arabia has generous payouts for the unemployed and a significant portion of the population doesn't work, I do not see a major portion of the population being willing to work on the project if the conditions were slavery like You can say a lot about Saudi Arabia, but in term of work, they simy are not a population or a culture that works a lot, Oil wealth promoted a rather cushy relaxing culture. Its part of the reason that if you take away Oil revenue their economic output and productivity is rather poor So if conditions were too harsh not enough Saudis would be willing to do it... Or if it is harsh they probably would have to get payed a lot Unless it's foreigners as I said. Cuz I wouldn't be shocked if they hired a lot of foreigners but given Saudi Arabia is trying to diversify economy I can see them wanting to hire local as much as possible Now I am left wondering what other phantasmagorical cities other countries have in plan... I know Egypt is building a new capital, what else? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,165 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 5 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said: Now I am left wondering what other phantasmagorical cities other countries have in plan... I know Egypt is building a new capital, what else? I think UAE was maybe? Maybe I'm just confusing it with another country. If so my bad I just know I read news about a long city in linear several weeks ago Or maybe it was the same one but in an earlier proposed status Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
reallydima 383 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 Very iRobot with Will Smith. I love the idea, ngl. It's super cool and I'd love not having to worry about driving.. I mean, for the wealthy, this is going to be amazing. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nemo 4,414 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 I don't think people really grasp how unbuildable this is. It's orders of magnitude larger than the largest construction projects previously undertaken in human history. And all for a design that's just... insane. 16 minutes ago, Economy said: I just know I read news about a long city in linear several weeks ago Or maybe it was the same one but in an earlier proposed status Yeah, The Line isn't a new announcement, it first came out in 2021. Pet project of Mr. Bone Saw. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Line,_Saudi_Arabia Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 55 minutes ago, Economy said: Yeah ik if it's reflective it will make it hot. I'm asking about the construction details. Is it supposed to be surrounded by extra reflective stuff? And different from a standard city in that sense I assume? "Saudi Arabia's "The Line" is a mirrored linear city that will stand 500-metres tall and run for 170-kilometres across the desert" Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
FfFfFfFF 59,017 Posted January 2, 2023 Author Share Posted January 2, 2023 41 minutes ago, Economy said: I think UAE was maybe? Maybe I'm just confusing it with another country. If so my bad I just know I read news about a long city in linear several weeks ago Or maybe it was the same one but in an earlier proposed status It's just that I had been living under a rock and was wondering what other projects I missed. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,165 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 6 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said: It's just that I had been living under a rock and was wondering what other projects I missed. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about It very well may have been the same one u posted about but simply at an earlier stage It's not uncommon for major projects to get all over online news when proposed but then when actually approved again it goes on the news like it's a brand new thing Same thing happened with Nuclear Fusion. They gave news on a breakthru years ago and recently they gave news again that sounded almost the same. I'm guessing this time something Simmilar went a step further in a new threshold and it got released as if it was fresh news again Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
YouCanSitWithUs 394 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 I feel like....did anyone here ever play Sim City? So if you tried to do this in the game, everyone would want to gravitate towards the center anyway. I get what they are trying to do...but the people who live here are going to want some sort of centerpiece for it and I just feel like....it's giving unrealistic non-human energy. Its cool though. I would love to live there and be able to just shoot down a hyper loop to visit my friends. But something about it seems like it would get boring over time. Like...just the human in me would want something different after living there for a year or two. Just giving an honest human opinion! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,165 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 4 minutes ago, YouCanSitWithUs said: I feel like....did anyone here ever play Sim City? So if you tried to do this in the game, everyone would want to gravitate towards the center anyway. I get what they are trying to do...but the people who live here are going to want some sort of centerpiece for it and I just feel like....it's giving unrealistic non-human energy. Its cool though. I would love to live there and be able to just shoot down a hyper loop to visit my friends. But something about it seems like it would get boring over time. Like...just the human in me would want something different after living there for a year or two. Just giving an honest human opinion! I loved sim city especially sim city 3000 but that tax glitch was annoying af Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nemo 4,414 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 23 minutes ago, Economy said: It very well may have been the same one u posted about but simply at an earlier stage I guarantee, no one else is trying to build a linear city. and this one won't get built either Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
YouCanSitWithUs 394 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 4 minutes ago, Economy said: I loved sim city especially sim city 3000 but that tax glitch was annoying af I mean....they need to bring back a new generation of Sim City but whoever has the rights to it doesn't really seem that interested in giving it a new vision right now. Sad. Because it was an epic game that somehow mixed chaos and immaturity into something that was smart and required you to think outside of your own little bubble. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
YouCanSitWithUs 394 Posted January 2, 2023 Share Posted January 2, 2023 Did they get inspired by the length of coke lines the ultra rich are doing at their extravagant parties? 10 crypto coins says this whole concept came about when some billionaires were high off their rockers at 3am in a Dubai penthouse. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.