• The Fame
    • The Fame Monster
    • Born This Way
    • ARTPOP
    • Joanne
    • Chromatica

Featured Posts

SevenWonder

Joanne was "experimental" for Gaga. But not as an album itself. The only answer is Born This Way. The non singles especially. Lyrically, sonically and melodically off center. And I love the album for it. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Controversiaga
25 minutes ago, SevenWonder said:

Joanne was "experimental" for Gaga. But not as an album itself. The only answer is Born This Way. The non singles especially. Lyrically, sonically and melodically off center. And I love the album for it. 

yes the non singles really at the standout tracks on this album imo. the singles are some of the most boring tracks imo, with the exception of you know who :pray:

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”

Born This Way is her most consistently experimental album, it’s not always successful though. ARTPOP and TFM seem more successful in their experimentation to me tbh.

That said it’s easily between ARTPOP and BTW, they’re the only albums in her discography that I feel no other artist could possibly make. They’re the most uniquely her.

I’d say ARTPOP shows a bit more restraint (I know, restraint is not a word I would usually use when describing the album), and thus the experimentation lands more often. There is more order in the chaos that is ARTPOP.

The production is the best way to compare them. Both albums are loud and busy, but in different ways. Songs in BTW tend to have many layers of instruments, almost too many. There’s this constant “wall of sound” quality to it. ARTPOP’s instrumentals are actually way less busy than they sound, it’s just that every synth and every instrument has been crafted for maximum impact. A lot of times there’s usually like one synth and some drums going on, but they make sure that they HIT.

It’s just two different approaches to create the same effect. Something loud and in your face.

Edonis

She may play with different sounds on each album, but I wouldn't describe any of them as experimental. Her songs are constructed with a very familiar structure and definitely reflects her pop-sensibilities and style.

VOLANTIS

The production on Born This Way is so unique and intricate and I feel like every song on the album went through such a thorough scope for them to end up on the tracklist. It's also the album era we have the least amount of leaked unreleased content from. 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

phantasmas

BTW !!!! :tony:

the remixes are what it really should have sounded like but we weren’t ready :bradley:

:nooo:

10 hours ago, SevenWonder said:

maybe experimental for her brand but not for herself as a person/musician

mother, what must i do?

SevenWonder
29 minutes ago, NATAH said:

maybe experimental for her brand but not for herself as a person/musician

Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying. For sure. 

CatelynnMarie

Sonically for the time especially, probably BTW, but for Gaga herself, Joanne. Joanne was really something we never could have expected from Gaga in so many ways. So in a way it's both? 

Bolkins

I went with TFM. I know it doesn't feel as out there as BTW, but I think it emboldened Gaga to really experiment with her sound later on. I had never heard a pop song like BR, and before it was the mega hit were used to now it was an unusual sounding song that could of been a risk. I think overall the album played with lots of different elements, it wasn't trying to be your average pop album and the only song that lets it down in that sense is Telephone. 

androiduser

I think fans are throwing the word "experimental" around quite easily because they think it's something very positive, and since it cannot be proven in any way, they can stick it to anything they like. Even the most unique Gaga tracks are referential to other musicians' work, so I don't see how they are experimental.

Archived