• The Fame
    • The Fame Monster
    • Born This Way
    • ARTPOP
    • Joanne
    • Chromatica

Featured Posts

Night Vision

ARTPOP has it's moments that are fairly experimental for a mainstream pop album, but overall I would say her most experimental album is Born This Way.

I can't think of any other artist who would write an album that blends so many genres together and yet still manages to make it sound cohesive and a connected body of work. It's an album that features a euro-pop song about women's rights sang in fake German gibberish, an industrial techno song that includes elements of opera, a dance-pop song that mixes elements of heavy metal and house music, a techno Mariachi song about immigration and gay marriage, an electro-pop song about self-empowerment that blends elements of disco and gospel together, a synth-pop techno rave ballad with Gregorian chants sang from the perspective of Mary Magdalene with lyrics in English, French, and Spanish, songs that blend synth-pop with 80's arena rock and industrial dance music.

:firega:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think ARTPOP since that's the one I took longer to like, at first it sounded too chaotic (now it's my second favorite)

But I don't think any are truly experimental, but they all have certain parts that incorporate some experimental elements and sounds (which I'm glad because I don't like experimental that much :enigma: I think she might do in the future tho since she was listening so much Fetch the Bolt Cutters during pandemic) 

why are so many of u saying Joanne? :messga: did y'all not listen to Red & Blue? :messga:

Joanne is a sound she's touched on before and is very standard Americana/Folk/Rock that's been very much popified

mother, what must i do?

Controversiaga
12 minutes ago, NATAH said:

why are so many of u saying Joanne? :messga: did y'all not listen to Red & Blue? :messga:

Joanne is a sound she's touched on before and is very standard Americana/Folk/Rock that's been very much popified

The GP hadn’t heard that side of her though till million reasons and shallow.

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”

58 minutes ago, RihBeyGa said:

The GP hadn’t heard that side of her though till million reasons and shallow.

that's irrelevant tho

mother, what must i do?

Controversiaga
13 minutes ago, NATAH said:

that's irrelevant tho

kill myself peter griffin GIF by Family Guy

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”

HotLikeMexico
3 hours ago, Versace said:

Sonically it’s BTW by a mile 

Some are probs confusing AP’s high concept or Joanne’s genre shift as “experimental” 

Joanne is her “experimental” album. It’s the outlier in her entire discography. Everything else at least fits into what would be considered a Gaga album. 

Oriane
1 hour ago, NATAH said:

It was so funny when people were surprised by Joanne's musical direction back in 2016. To me it had been pretty obvious that she was going for a more stripped back, back to her roots sound, she wanted to gain more respect from the GP and be seen as more relatable, it was something you could see in her looks, performances etc.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Maxine Puth

See the problem with saying it’s Joanne is because we all know she had music like that in her discography. Like you can’t sit here and say Yoü and I or Speechless was standard Gaga and then look at songs like Diamond Heart or Million Reasons and go “that’s experimental” for her. 

Oriane

Joanne is not experimental. Doing something that is the opposite of what you usually do isn't experimental, especially if you're going for a safe sound like this. She's a good musician, trying a different genre isn't difficult for her.

A lot of people say Born this Way because it's mixing different genres together, but I'll go with ARTPOP. Especially songs like Aura and Swine, they're experimental because they're going in a risky direction, it sounds weird, it's not for everyone, it might not make sense in a traditional musical definition, but she's still doing it and putting it out there. In Born this Way, I see this with Government Hooker, Scheisse for the "German" part, but mostly I find it easier to get into, it's still dance-pop even with the influences of other genres. ARTPOP makes you go more "huh, what is this?".

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

EGOT2027

ARTPOP is her most experimental album overall but born this way is her most cohesive experimental album if that makes any sense lol. and i’m saying this as someone who loves ARTPOP. even my friends who don’t stan gaga have said there’s a direct through line from ARTPOP to hyper pop of today.

born this way is just so sonically ambitious and diverse and yet somehow all makes perfect sense in the same universe if that makes sense? ARTPOP is all over the place in the best way possible 

sillynate

Born this way because a lot (if not all) of the songs are different genres Frankensteined together. Look at Judas for example. That blaring synth in the intro and verses gives me metal vibes. Switch it to an electric guitar and the metal stans would go crazy. Then you get to the chorus and it’s an 80’s pop song?? That’s fetch. Also Americano. Enough said 

ChrissyBot

BTW is probably her most experimental piece of work to date (that is until she tops is one day). BTW is the perfect mix of pop with rock/heavy metal elements. I hope one day to see her fully dive into the heavy metal/rock genres.

ChrissyBot
22 minutes ago, sillynate said:

Born this way because a lot (if not all) of the songs are different genres Frankensteined together. Look at Judas for example. That blaring synth in the intro and verses gives me metal vibes. Switch it to an electric guitar and the metal stans would go crazy. Then you get to the chorus and it’s an 80’s pop song?? That’s fetch. Also Americano. Enough said 

Couldn’t have said it any better. Born This Way needs minimal to none introduction. And like Gaga said during the era, it was so early in her career for an album like Born This Way. So ahead of her time.

Archived