Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
achievement

Pitchfork reviews 'ARTPOP' with 7.3 score

Brainiac

Featured Posts

FFXIV WhiteMage
1 hour ago, Sorceress said:

Y'all can say that Pitchfork are harsh and they sometimes give odd scores that do not relate to the writeup, but their reviews are particularly well-researched and detailed. This is no exception.

I love how they quoted some interviews from the past that revealed Gaga's dark time during the making of ARTPOP, which in some ways reflected some of the missteps in the album.

It’s nothing but a highfalutin write up with occasional reference to some articles and her interviews. 

Giving Chromatica and AP 7.3 is absolute bs, tbh. Well anyways, these critics and awards are nothing but paid publicity :trollga:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monketsharona

The fact press is almost admitting they followed the trend of trashing Gaga back in the day just because it was... a trend :enigma:

I hope Gaga has some plans to re-release ARTPOP for 10th anniversary with few additional unreleased tracks. 

StressedOut

They kinda hit the nail on the head when they said ARTPOP was almost a prototype for Chromatica imo

Anyway pitchfork valid for this one, it's nice to see it scored well even 9 years after, the production is still snappy

monketsharona
5 minutes ago, StressedOut said:

They kinda hit the nail on the head when they said ARTPOP was almost a prototype for Chromatica imo

Anyway pitchfork valid for this one, it's nice to see it scored well even 9 years after, the production is still snappy

Still think ARTPOP would be a lot better if produced by other producers and bit more 'polished' and less overproduced in some parts. And some collabs were... a choice. 

Still a pop / EDM treasure imo. I hope she'll fin da way to add few more songs from the vault next year for anniversary

I feel weird about scores when it comes to art in general because the benchmarks are so different for every reviewer and they change with time and distance as well.

I really enjoyed the article though and it was nice to see the album contextualized with quotes and how Gaga was doing at the time. 

Othon

It's so refreshing to read an ARTPOP review that actually tries to engage with what Gaga was attempting to do with it. All of the 2013 takes were essentially the same superficial dismissal criticizing her as a person and as a media figure regurgitated nearly verbatim, and the fact that reviewers at the time didn't seem to notice that she was actually engaging with, commenting on, and critiquing the commercial persona that they were exhausted of made it all the more ridiculous.

Thank god the tide seems to be turning in ARTPOP's favor. It's about time.

COOOK

This felt like they were reviewing the era more like the album. But I like how how they define the album's theme:

Spoiler

The goal was to channel Andy Warhol, only with one essential difference: “Instead of putting pop onto the canvas, we wanted to put the art onto the soup can,” she told the UK telecom company O2 in a promotional interview ahead of the album’s release. This meant commingling her pop aesthetics with fine art, past and present. She collaborated with the pop artist Jeff Koons—known best for his massive mirrored balloon animals constructed in stainless steel—who turned her into one of his Gazing Ball sculptures for the album cover; then, its photograph was spliced with pieces of Botticelli’s famous Renaissance painting, The Birth of Venus. It’s a gesture of turning the inaccessible into the ordinary but with an additional undertone: In the orb’s reflective surface, you see yourself looking, engaging, and perhaps trying to possess something. You’re implicated in the gaze. It’s a theme that runs throughout ARTPOP.

Starmie25
32 minutes ago, monketsharona said:

polished

We have enough of that already in the mainstream and it's getting kinda meh

I do agree though it was a bit overproduced, but that's a nitpick 

Magneto

"Gaga asks early on the album, “Do you wanna see the girl who lives behind the aura?” then shirks being straightforward for almost the entirety of the album. Denying entry is the point. Denying entry has been the point of a lot of what Gaga does. Mostly, it’s a tool of self-preservation."

:fatcat::fatcat::fatcat:

Free my mind

Archived