Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

[SPOILER] CTB artistic & cultural inspirations

elijahfan

Featured Posts

Really interesting thread! I like that The Chromatica Ball is rich in varying references.

Also, love that somebody else noted the Salk Institute, also- I've visited the labs a few times for work, and I was immediately reminded of it when I saw the first images of the stage!

3 points in and ready for more

Demoncore

Lowkey, a lot of the interlude music reminded me of the music used in McQueen’s “Plato’s Atlantis” show (Inside by PIG being one of them).

Also her sonnet made me think of Joanne’s poems she would reference in her album booklets.

I love how she weaves a lot of her lifelong inspirations and idols into all of her artistic endeavors and how fresh they are each time.

elijahfan
3 hours ago, kiwimane said:

Lowkey, a lot of the interlude music reminded me of the music used in McQueen’s “Plato’s Atlantis” show (Inside by PIG being one of them).

Also her sonnet made me think of Joanne’s poems she would reference in her album booklets.

I love how she weaves a lot of her lifelong inspirations and idols into all of her artistic endeavors and how fresh they are each time.

Doing the interludes in the UK with Nick Knight and borrowing wardrobe from Daphne Guinness, I think it's fair to say McQueen was on her mind a lot.

I'm curious about who produced the music of the interludes, do we have any idea?

Demoncore
1 minute ago, elijahfan said:

Doing the interludes in the UK with Nick Knight and borrowing wardrobe from Daphne Guinness, I think it's fair to say McQueen was on her mind a lot.

I'm curious about who produced the music of the interludes, do we have any idea?

I recall seeing Burns subtweet someone saying he and Bloodpop produced them!

elijahfan
2 minutes ago, kiwimane said:

I recall seeing Burns subtweet someone saying he and Bloodpop produced them!

Makes sense, thanks for the info!

warhol killer

I don't know if you guys already knew this or if it was obvious but the Tamara interlude was a tribute to Polish painter Tamara Łempicka - best known for her polished Art Deco portraits of aristocrats and the wealthy, and for her highly stylized paintings of nudes

The_Chromatica_Ball_-_Interlude_IV_012.p The_Chromatica_Ball_-_Interlude_IV_001.j The_Chromatica_Ball_-_Interlude_IV_003.j

45f0b254-cdeb-48c9-8938-e5b04d552385_g_5 Tamara-de-lempicka-la-couronne-de-fleurs 91-2.jpg

warhol killer ✴ GAGA¹⁵

elijahfan
1 hour ago, Warhol Killer said:

I don't know if you guys already knew this or if it was obvious but the Tamara interlude was a tribute to Polish painter Tamara Łempicka - best known for her polished Art Deco portraits of aristocrats and the wealthy, and for her highly stylized paintings of nudes

The_Chromatica_Ball_-_Interlude_IV_012.p The_Chromatica_Ball_-_Interlude_IV_001.j The_Chromatica_Ball_-_Interlude_IV_003.j

45f0b254-cdeb-48c9-8938-e5b04d552385_g_5 Tamara-de-lempicka-la-couronne-de-fleurs 91-2.jpg

Interesting! Just wondering, has the reference been officially acknowledged by anyone from the Haus?

The intro and part 1 is also influenced by Dadaism. Briefly, the Dadaists were artists that made art as a reaction to the absurdity of war. They believed in making sense of brutality through art. Below is an image of Hugo Ball, one of the Dadaists. Gaga's intro outfit and mannerisms are very much inspired by this movement and group of artists.

10DADA1-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto

Klaus Nomi is also an inspiration and reference, who I believe was also influenced by Dadaism. There is a motif of sharp edges and lines, and a monochromatic color palette.

813erra-6IL._SL1500_.jpg

She also references her self and her past. A classic Gaga move. She references the cage in her iTunes Festival 2013 performance of Aura. Maybe it was or wasn't intentional but I couldn't help but think of this when I saw the opening:

5d022f8e24000051178d2cf6.jpeg?ops=scalef

Lastly, I recently saw the film Martys (2008). Now hear me out. This is a reach and clearly just my opinion, but I found a lot of similarities between TCB and this film. Trigger warning: this is one of the most gruesome and violent films ever made and I DO NOT recommend watching if you are easily triggered by blood, violence, pain, horror. This controversial film is a meditation on pain and suffering, and asks questions on what happens when we are pushed to our limits as human beings and if there is a meaning to our pain. Again, this film is heavy and I am not promoting it but am rather finding comparisons, at least in philosophy and in aesthetics. There is a scene of a woman with a metal headpiece screwed in her head, covering her eyes, and it reminded me of Gaga's intro where she is caged and has the metal piece over her eyes. Essay on the film for those who are curious: https://philosophyinfilm.com/2021/09/27/martyrs-2008-review/?quad_cc

elijahfan
12 hours ago, LG666 said:

Lastly, I recently saw the film Martys (2008). Now hear me out. This is a reach and clearly just my opinion, but I found a lot of similarities between TCB and this film. Trigger warning: this is one of the most gruesome and violent films ever made and I DO NOT recommend watching if you are easily triggered by blood, violence, pain, horror. This controversial film is a meditation on pain and suffering, and asks questions on what happens when we are pushed to our limits as human beings and if there is a meaning to our pain. Again, this film is heavy and I am not promoting it but am rather finding comparisons, at least in philosophy and in aesthetics. There is a scene of a woman with a metal headpiece screwed in her head, covering her eyes, and it reminded me of Gaga's intro where she is caged and has the metal piece over her eyes. Essay on the film for those who are curious: https://philosophyinfilm.com/2021/09/27/martyrs-2008-review/?quad_cc

It’s crazy that you’re talking about this film because I was literally thinking about it yesterday in relation to this interlude setup:

191.jpg

It’s a very influential film, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you’d actually be on to something here. Especially since this part of the show heavily deals with pain.

This is probably my favorite film I never want to see again :laughga:

What do you think of the rumor CTB was originally nature or forest inspired? Come to think of it...the piano is a tree right? 

elijahfan
2 hours ago, julz said:

What do you think of the rumor CTB was originally nature or forest inspired? Come to think of it...the piano is a tree right? 

I’m not sure how reliable this is. I do believe the show went through different stages of development, like any other project, and even more so for a show that was postponed for so long. I just wish we had more credible sources to back that rumor up.

Every time Gaga comes up with something people didn’t expect, it’s like fans want to reassure themselves by pulling imaginary scrapped concepts out of their asses… it’s a bit tiring, and also a misunderstanding of the creative process.

HausOfAntonio
2 hours ago, elijahfan said:

I’m not sure how reliable this is. I do believe the show went through different stages of development, like any other project, and even more so for a show that was postponed for so long. I just wish we had more credible sources to back that rumor up.

Every time Gaga comes up with something people didn’t expect, it’s like fans want to reassure themselves by pulling imaginary scrapped concepts out of their asses… it’s a bit tiring, and also a misunderstanding of the creative process.

Also the Brutalism theme we got sounds even in paper miles and leagues above a forest theme conceptually :flop: What was she gonna serve us a revamp of Britney’s Piece of Me forest act? :air:

elijahfan
2 hours ago, HausOfAntonio said:

Also the Brutalism theme we got sounds even in paper miles and leagues above a forest theme conceptually :flop: What was she gonna serve us a revamp of Britney’s Piece of Me forest act? :air:

It also makes a lot of sense. I mentioned this several times in other threads, but the show isn't so much about the world of Chromatica as it is about the journey to get there. A little bit in the same way the Monster Ball was about the journey to get to the Monster Ball. This concept makes a lot of sense for Gaga, and it's not her fault if her fans have a limited imagination of what her show is gonna look like :laughga:

lady-gaga-artist.gif

Archived