đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Did the electronic/EDM crowd like ARTPOP?

Starmie25

Featured Posts

Starmie25

Yes, I know, another ARTPOP inspired thread, how original.

Seriously though did the edm/electronic crowd like ARTPOP? I knew very little bout music culture back then.

I do feel edm/festival house folks would've appreciated it more for its hyperactive-ish-trance-techno-trap incorporated styles, compared to your pop stans who immediately it to shreds for being "noisy" and supposedly "dated". Sad.

I remember reading comments from Coachella locals who absolutely loved "venus" and "x dreams" which makes total sense.

Side note :Kinda funny looking back because edm type style songs were still charting worldwide during 2013-2014, but least ARTPOP actually had a bit more colour and personality (maybe bit too much personality hahahahaha auraaaaa rahhh)

I dunno, what do you guys think? Also are we excited for ACT II

lady gaga GIF by Billboard Music Awards

Benji

From a European perspective, no.  “EDM” is cheesy and an American take on dance music.  Dance music isn’t a phase in the charts here, it’s permanently popular and has a huge range of genres and sub genres that are all successful.

Starmie25
4 minutes ago, Benji said:

From a European perspective, no.  “EDM” is cheesy and an American take on dance music.  Dance music isn’t a phase in the charts here, it’s permanently popular and has a huge range of genres and sub genres that are all successful.

You're not wrong. I've always thought the same but yeah, many people still bunch all types of dance, house and electronic under "EDM" label

ristretto

no, because EDM had already evolved from the state ARTPOP was in. the curse of ARTPOP is that she recorded most of it in 2012, when that sound and style of EDM was fresh, but in 2013 Avicii turned the EDM scene around with his semi-acoustic soundscape, which led to that noisy Zedd-type production feeling reeeaaally dated and exclusive to American EDM festivals

ChrissyBot

All I know is we need ARTPOP ACT II for the 10th anniversary of ARTPOP

OT: as the other users said, the EDM/electronic fans would probably think ARTPOP is dated. Cuz ARTPOP was made in 2012 when Clarity and that kind of EDM sound was popular. The problem is ARTPOP was released very late, it was finally released much long after the trend of EDM such as Zedd/Calvin Harris

Starmie25
6 minutes ago, chromaticpop said:

All I know is we need ARTPOP ACT II for the 10th anniversary of ARTPOP

OT: as the other users said, the EDM/electronic fans would probably think ARTPOP is dated. Cuz ARTPOP was made in 2012 when Clarity and that kind of EDM sound was popular. The problem is ARTPOP was released very late, it was finally released much long after the trend of EDM such as Zedd/Calvin Harris

Zedd and Calvin were still gaining hits with big edm type songs in 2013 and 2014 though 

ChrissyBot
9 minutes ago, Staryu17 said:

Zedd and Calvin were still gaining hits with big edm type songs in 2013 and 2014 though 

I stated the opinion of other people not my own opinion. I’ve heard ppl say ARTPOP sounds dated. When actually I truly believe it was ahead of it’s time

bpmMonkey
49 minutes ago, Benji said:

I love you for saying this. :kiss:

Catnikko

don''t think they knew it existed tbh :selena: but no

'edm' turned way more house-ey and more complexly produced from 2012-2014 and ARTPOP kind of missed the mark

Actual patient

KURUSHITOVSKA
2 hours ago, Benji said:

EDM was huge in charts during 2008-2012. ARTPOP was just released too late.

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

KURUSHITOVSKA
2 hours ago, chromaticpop said:

I stated the opinion of other people not my own opinion. I’ve heard ppl say ARTPOP sounds dated. When actually I truly believe it was ahead of it’s time

It was late for ARTPOP, Trap and hip hop were already smashing. Even MDNA was late. 

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

killme89

Well I was part of the rave scene from like 2009-2014 here in the east coast of the states. and well they didn’t really care for it. Not in a negative or positive way. We had plenty of things to choose from especially around that time and gaga was always more pop. Although I do remember playing Aura and a few of my raver friends were impressed that it was a gaga song, I remember it perfectly. It’s also an infected mushroom production and infected mushroom are very respected in the psytrance scene. I also had another friend (these are all straight non monsters by the way) who LOVED Mary Jane Holland lol. ARTPOP really was such a random great album. What a time. 

27monster27

I don't get why people say that ARTPOP was outdated when Ariana Grande got a big EDM hit in 2014 with Break Free which is a huge Zedd production. I've actually looked at critical reviews and more people said that Born This Way was outdated, not ARTPOP.

I wish I could find the post that said this, but someone a few years ago on here said that ARTPOP was actually using different EDM genres that weren't popular (even in 2012) that made it sound different.

he/him/his

QueenMortuana

My friends and I were quite big into the EDM and festival scenes from 2011-2014 and they were not fans of ARTPOP lol. I enjoyed it during that time but not so much anymore. 

Starmie25
12 minutes ago, 27monster27 said:

I don't get why people say that ARTPOP was outdated when Ariana Grande got a big EDM hit in 2014 with Break Free which is a huge Zedd production

And don't forget #SELFIE by The Chainsmokers and even "Timber"

Archived