💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Kevin Aviance had no idea Beyoncé would sample his song

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Kevin Aviance said he had no idea his 1996 "Cunty" would be featured on "Pure/Honey" but he is grateful to Beyoncé for bringing his music to a new generation.

"It just happened, and, no, I didn't know anything about it,"  said Aviance. "Someone sent me the track listing at 1 o'clock in the morning and I saw my name on it, and I couldn't believe it." 

"It made me gag, the representation of it, the vocal performance … it's amazing," Aviance said of Beyoncé's album.

Aviance said he isn't fazed that he didn't know his song would be sampled until after "Renaissance" was released. The singer Kelis made news recently for claiming she didn't know her song would be featured on "Renaissance".
"Some people are upset about that, but I don't have a problem with it," said Aviance. "When you're in a place where you share things …. that's what art is."

"It influences people and influences space, it happens" he continued.  "So people get upset about it and I get it, but it's just not that deep.  As long as you take care of the business part sooner or later."

When asked about copyright ownership of the song in question, Aviance was quick to shut down that line of questioning.

"I'm not allowed to talk about any of that," he said. "It's just the way it is."

source

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining

Retro Dance Freak

Cute. But it’s a bit weird how none of the samples were in the loop on their material being used? 

Don't be insecure if your heart is pure.

Non issue, they think the songs a bop. Do you think Charli asked Robin S when she made Used To Know Me? Probs not :ohwell:

I kind of remember something about Formation and the same things happening?? Wasn't there drama that Big Freedia was never named or asked? You would think at some point you would start to go out of your way to make the sampled artists aware and give a shout-out, after it  has happened once, or more than once. 

JLoveLamar
26 minutes ago, GTC said:

I kind of remember something about Formation and the same things happening?? Wasn't there drama that Big Freedia was never named or asked? You would think at some point you would start to go out of your way to make the sampled artists aware and give a shout-out, after it  has happened once, or more than once. 

That's a lie. Big Freedia said he asked Beyoncé what she wanted him to say in the song and she told him to just talk ish on the song the way Freedia normally does.

EdgeofTeeth

I'm not even trying to hate, but is it not kind of ridiculous and disrespectful not to ask or notify another artist whose work you're literally using?

First of all Im sorry to this man because I dont know who he is, but unlike Kelis his credits probably werent stolen like hers, which is the main reason she is so mad, so this guy is basically gaslighting her with what he stated. Regardless, a nod from beyonce or her team to him would have been nice.

Going back to the Kelis subject, if beyonce had the decency to send flowers to robin s and credit her, she could at least could have done the same for Kelis.  What is worse, i love robin s, but she didnt even write show me love, she just sang what she was told to, imagine how Kelis must have felt when beyonce didnt acknowledge her the same way for a song she wrote and then had its credits stolen, so i totally understand where shes coming from. The thing is, she is acknowledging an artist for a song she didnt even write, even sending her flowers, and not crediting the other artist for a song she did write 🤢 

Also im not hating on beyonce but i dont get why shes getting so much praise for an album full of heavy samples and interpolations, i know many albums sample other songs, but this album basically seemed a tribute album of other artists, there is nothing new she added to the table, they were literal copies of the originals songs she sampled.

Edonis
16 minutes ago, dove said:

Also im not hating on beyonce but i dont get why shes getting so much praise for an album full of heavy samples and interpolations, i know many albums sample other songs, but this album basically seemed a tribute album of other artists, there is nothing new she added to the table, they were literal copies of the originals songs she sampled.

The album is a tribute to dance music from the 70s, 80s, & 90s in the context of Black, queer spaces. Particularly with house and disco, DJs and producers regularly sample and interpolate popular sounds to recreate new music. There are a number of genuine sociopolitical reasons why this happened, but the fact of the matter is that this process was standardized in these spaces. Samples in particular are a hallmark of house and techno, which originate from Black Americans. The album samples several well-known songs as part of that process and to pay tribute to the music and culture that drove the creativity at the time.

edengowon
36 minutes ago, dove said:

First of all Im sorry to this man because I dont know who he is, but unlike Kelis his credits probably werent stolen like hers, which is the main reason she is so mad, so this guy is basically gaslighting her with what he stated. Regardless, a nod from beyonce or her team to him would have been nice.

Going back to the Kelis subject, if beyonce had the decency to send flowers to robin s and credit her, she could at least could have done the same for Kelis.  What is worse, i love robin s, but she didnt even write show me love, she just sang what she was told to, imagine how Kelis must have felt when beyonce didnt acknowledge her the same way for a song she wrote and then had its credits stolen, so i totally understand where shes coming from. The thing is, she is acknowledging an artist for a song she didnt even write, even sending her flowers, and not crediting the other artist for a song she did write 🤢 

kelis didn't have her credits stolen. she wasn't owed any credits legally, and even if beyonce did speak with her first, she wouldn't have been credited. you don't just add a credit for fun, you add it because they had creative input in the song, or the song your song samples, and kelis... didn't do either.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

49 minutes ago, Edonis said:

The album is a tribute to dance music from the 70s, 80s, & 90s in the context of Black, queer spaces. Particularly with house and disco, DJs and producers regularly sample and interpolate popular sounds to recreate new music. There are a number of genuine sociopolitical reasons why this happened, but the fact of the matter is that this process was standardized in these spaces. Samples in particular are a hallmark of house and techno, which originate from Black Americans. The album samples several well-known songs as part of that process and to pay tribute to the music and culture that drove the creativity at the time.

I get that, but this album is practically a playlist of old songs, I understand people sample often, but these were total ripoffs. And what a way to pay tribute to this music and culture by not even giving a nod to the people whose songs were sampled.

34 minutes ago, Melancholia said:

she wasn't owed any credits legally

because she was tricked by pharrell and the other guy

34 minutes ago, Melancholia said:

you don't just add a credit for fun

And I'm sorry if i wasn't clear but I meant a nod at least, not giving full credits, as what happened with robin s with the flowers.

This seems so out of character for Beyonce.  Extremely unprofessional.  I’m disappointed.  

Ziggy
3 minutes ago, dove said:

I get that, but this album is practically a playlist of old songs, I understand people sample often, but these were total ripoffs. And what a way to pay tribute to this music and culture by not even giving a nod to the people whose songs were sampled.

I mean they’re credited so they’ll be getting coin their way lol it’s not even a playlist of old songs. That’s super insulting to the work of the people who contributed NOW to the album. Again, you gotta get out of the singer songwriter mentality because underground it’s different. This inspired this which inspired that and you use this as the basis for that. That’s the world it exists in. If she hadn’t done that it honestly wouldn’t have sounded as true to the scene or as researched coming from an outsider.

plus, her samples have sampled stuff so she had to credit those folks as well. That adds up in terms of credits

21 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

mean they’re credited so they’ll be getting coin their way lol it’s not even a playlist of old songs. That’s super insulting to the work of the people who contributed NOW to the album. Again, you gotta get out of the singer songwriter mentality because underground it’s different. This inspired this which inspired that and you use this as the basis for that. That’s the world it exists in. If she hadn’t done that it honestly wouldn’t have sounded as true to the scene or as researched coming from an outsider.

plus, her samples have sampled stuff so she had to credit those folks as well. That adds up in terms of credits

I've never said anything about officially crediting, I'm talking about reaching to the other person you are sampling and giving them a nod, hey im using your song or whatever... not necessarily to everyone who worked on the song, they're getting their credits and money anyways, but at least the person who performed it, it's called being professional, she only did it with Robin s for some reason, but she didn't with Kelis, neither with this guy Kevin, and maybe who else, as if she is above everyone else, which doesn't surprise me because she's always been full of herself... anyways ! 

Archived