science

Monkeypox cases linked to raves in Europe

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

LONDON (AP) — A leading adviser to the World Health Organization described the unprecedented outbreak of the rare disease monkeypox in developed countries as “a random event” that might be explained by risky sexual behavior at two recent mass events in Europe.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Dr. David Heymann, who formerly headed WHO’s emergencies department, said the leading theory to explain the spread of the disease was sexual transmission among gay and bisexual men at two raves held in Spain and Belgium. Monkeypox has not previously triggered widespread outbreaks beyond Africa, where it is endemic in animals.

A German government report to lawmakers, obtained by the AP, said it expected to see further cases and that the risk of catching monkeypox "mainly appears to lie with sexual contacts among men.”

The four confirmed cases in Germany have been linked to exposure at “party events including on Gran Canaria and in Berlin, where sexual activity took place,” it said.

To date, WHO has recorded more than 90 cases of monkeypox in a dozen countries including Britain, Spain, Israel, France, Switzerland, the U.S. and Australia. On Monday, Denmark announced its first case, Portugal revised its total upwards to 37 and Italy reported one further infection.

Madrid’s senior health official said on Monday that the Spanish capital has recorded 30 confirmed cases so far. Enrique Ruiz Escudero said authorities are investigating possible links between a recent Gay Pride event in the Canary Islands, which drew some 80,000 people, and cases at a Madrid sauna.

Full story: https://www.yahoo.com/news/expert-monkeypox-likely-spread-sex-092239103.html

• Shook 2
  • Sad 9
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TasteLikeWhiskey

• Benji

• Economy

• MACATL

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Euro gheyz..

LONDON (AP) — A leading adviser to the World Health Organization described the unprecedented outbreak of the rare disease monkeypox in developed countries as “a random event” that might be explained b

The reporting has been a little misleading.  It’s worth remembering that there’s far less stigma in the (male) gay community with getting tested for diseases and that explains why gay men have so far

OhHenny2020

Well, the gays lost :cyanlights:

Lona Delery

well, if thats the case this is gonna be over within the next few weeks, so thats good news

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride
  • Like 1
TheSlash

Me, being bi but also asexual and not going to parties and raves anyway:

happy-dance.gif

Ew, David!
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 1
YourEvilTwin
7 minutes ago, Neroneau said:

That’s very bad PR for the homos:cryga: 

Well, the man-hating anti-gay feminists in my home country are all over this already. :laughga:

PartySick
6 minutes ago, Lona Delery said:

well, if thats the case this is gonna be over within the next few weeks, so thats good news

I was looking into it and supposedly there was a "global outbreak" of this same thing in 2003.

So...I'm not concerned...especially since I'm not touching anyone, hi :bear:

That's a sad chicken
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1
KURUSHITOVSKA
11 minutes ago, Neroneau said:

Did we have any good tho

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Benji
Posted (edited)

The reporting has been a little misleading.  It’s worth remembering that there’s far less stigma in the (male) gay community with getting tested for diseases and that explains why gay men have so far been the ones mostly being diagnosed.  Both of these events have various sex parties tied to them so many attendants would naturally go for a test after they return.

Edited by Benji
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
StarstruckIllusion

Is it bad that I feel embarrassed that gay sex parties/orgies are ge going mainstream attention? Like yay truth but ooof I don’t wanna see some straight’s hot take on gay lifestyles n ****

• Like 1
AnnaNicoleSmith
1 hour ago, Neroneau said:

I think this shouldve been kept private to avoid homophobic attacks tbh

• Like 2
Economy
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Neroneau said:

Well, guys generally speaking have considerably lower social inhibitions it seems when it comes to sex than women (as a bi dude I can confirm this) 

Hookups (especially unsafe) between some gay men happen with a frequency that just doesn't typically happen with heterosexuals (because women don't allow it to the same degree) so I'm not totally surprised among gay men it's a lot more prevalent

It is a stereotype but not totally unfounded tbh 😅

Of course if it leads to stigma to LGBT which it's heading in that direction, that's obviously not a good thing

Edited by Economy
  • Like 3