đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

E. Weekly: 3 POSSIBLE Gaga Snub Reasons

Lighter

Featured Posts

jacs vs looser

I agree with the points made, a lot. Mostly I think it was a combination of points 1 and 3. 

5 hours ago, Lighter said:

the thought of having to wait years again before we get to have another shot:nooo:

If the Top Gun song is real, she might be nominated next year (fingers crossed). I know it's not the same as an acting nomination, but it's better than nothing. 

I think it could be for either the first or the third reason. Rather, I consider the third to be probable, as at the time of the Oscar vote only Kirsten SAG snub was known, the BAFTA snub was only expected. On the other hand, the third reason will determine the style of films recognized at the Oscars in general and for a longer period of time, and filmmakers need to take notes.
The second reason is completely unlikely, to claim that a jury set up for diversification would nominate a Hollywood diva in an impact-hunting, click-baity way. On the other hand, 2000 people (in this case SAG members) don't make decisions the same way as a jury of a few people or a small group.

I love how the whole entertainment industry is actually shocked she wasn’t nominated and that is pushing them to make theories around her snub.

Gaga may not win an Oscar this time around but it looks like it’s a win-win situation for her still. 

RabbitHeart

The Academy makes at least a handful of questionable decisions every year, decisions we'll never know the reason for. I think speculating on the reasons for a snub give the non-nominee like a mythology of sorts, which a lot of times can serve their legacy/narrative better in the long run than being nominated for an award they most likely wouldn't have won (bc let's face it, Gaga had very strong competition).

EGOT2027

with the way voting works in the acting categories for the oscars (as i understand it at least), you have to get a lot of #1 spot votes or you get knocked out. i think at the end of the day gaga got a lot of votes but maybe around the #3 spot. a lot of folks probably thought she def deserved a nom, but not necessarily a win for acting just yet (hence the lack of #1 votes). heck i think even most gaga stans feel/felt that way. i obviously have no proof but i think penelope peaked at just the right moment to get more #1 votes (especially with international voters)

This is why film awards, specifically the Oscars, are going to be passée pretty soon if they don’t change to fit audiences tastes. I could honestly see these not being televised anymore in the next decade or so. The spectacle is gone. It’s beyond specific performances too. I could talk to my non film friends about the last few best pictures winners (Shape of Water, Moonlight, etc) but these past two years? They barely know two films nominated and that’s just because of Netflix. I thought it had to do with the pandemic but yet they ALL have seen HoG. I by no means think that blockbuster movies should be nominated because of popularity- some are just not quality. But the Oscar’s ad space costs sooo much money and they need viewership. They aren’t going to get that by going this route. JLo and Adam Sandler gave career defining performances and they were shut out because of snobs thinking they didn’t do their acting dues by being “popular” ? Why would general audiences trust their judgement if they’re omitting people for reasons that go against the overwhelming consensus and critical acclaim? Just have a party for yourselves and keep us out of it. 

monstertoronto

Interesting parallel to the JLo snub. Maybe there is something to certain Hollywood types looking down on pop stars crossing over and wanting them to “stay in their own lane”. Gaga was nominated for ASIB but maybe because she was a singer in that and still in her own lane. They aren’t threatened by a singer being a singer but they don’t want to support a singer when they’re silly being an actor. 

Phantomhive

At this point the only thing I'm looking forward to in regards to the Oscars is finding out how much the ratings will tank this year :yennefer:

In I fly on wings of winter.

7 hours ago, pachinko said:

I couldn’t sleep. Ugh. Devastated  still! 

Girl it's not that deep. These are actresses that do 2/3 movies a year and still get a nomination like once in 5 years at most. You want Gaga with 100% nomination rate?

freebit
1 hour ago, HIM820 said:

This is why film awards, specifically the Oscars, are going to be passée pretty soon if they don’t change to fit audiences tastes. I could honestly see these not being televised anymore in the next decade or so. The spectacle is gone. It’s beyond specific performances too. I could talk to my non film friends about the last few best pictures winners (Shape of Water, Moonlight, etc) but these past two years? They barely know two films nominated and that’s just because of Netflix. I thought it had to do with the pandemic but yet they ALL have seen HoG. I by no means think that blockbuster movies should be nominated because of popularity- some are just not quality. But the Oscar’s ad space costs sooo much money and they need viewership. They aren’t going to get that by going this route. JLo and Adam Sandler gave career defining performances and they were shut out because of snobs thinking they didn’t do their acting dues by being “popular” ? Why would general audiences trust their judgement if they’re omitting people for reasons that go against the overwhelming consensus and critical acclaim? Just have a party for yourselves and keep us out of it. 

Interesting point about ad space. The fact that back in 2019 they were going to implement a "Best Popular Movie" category means they were already feeling desperate. 

Everyone seems reluctant to put award shows on streaming for some reason, and that seems like hinderance too. I wonder if the Oscars will someday become a bit niche like the Cesars.

3 minutes ago, freebit said:

Interesting point about ad space. The fact that back in 2019 they were going to implement a "Best Popular Movie" category means they were already feeling desperate. 

Everyone seems reluctant to put award shows on streaming for some reason, and that seems like hinderance too. I wonder if the Oscars will someday become a bit niche like the Cesars.

See I wasn’t even in favor of that popular movie thing because it seemed weird to make a distinction between the two. Some of the art films are popular as well, so how would they make that decision. They would have to rename Best Picture then as well. I think they could get around this by rewarding specific performances (with at least nominations) that have come out of the popular movies. Were Hustlers and Uncut Gems going to be nominated for Best Picture? No. But their performances warranted it. They are big names, and general audiences liked those movies. I don’t think many would have questioned the nominations and it’s killing two birds with one stone. 

freebit
2 minutes ago, HIM820 said:

See I wasn’t even in favor of that popular movie thing because it seemed weird to make a distinction between the two. Some of the art films are popular as well, so how would they make that decision. They would have to rename Best Picture then as well. I think they could get around this by rewarding specific performances (with at least nominations) that have come out of the popular movies. Were Hustlers and Uncut Gems going to be nominated for Best Picture? No. But their performances warranted it. They are big names, and general audiences liked those movies. I don’t think many would have questioned the nominations and it’s killing two birds with one stone. 

Yeah, IA. Also, I think that would have felt insulting to whatever movies got into the category, like it wasn't good enough to be with the "real" Oscar nominations in Best Picture. 

I think the Oscars producers and network would love for the nominees to be a bit more popular, but the academy is voting differently (now that I think about it, AMPAs is like the opposite of the Grammys voting body). I wonder if they'll try to expand the nominees in the actor categories like they did with Best Picture in a ploy to get more popular nominees someday.  (would be a kii if it happened after this year)

I won't pretend I know anything about the politics of Oscar voting, or the mindset of a typical Oscar voter (if there is such a thing), but I would make the observation that we don't know by how much Gaga missed out. It is possible that it was very tight between the top 7 or 8 for all the awards, SAG, BAFTA, etc, and so there was an element of luck in who got nominated for what.

Leaving that aside, if we're looking for reasons, yeah, clearly the movie could have been better, and having to put on the accent was no help to Gaga. Did anyone else invloved in the project, Ridley included, take it quite as seriously as Gaga ? 

freebit
12 hours ago, MOT said:

I won't pretend I know anything about the politics of Oscar voting, or the mindset of a typical Oscar voter (if there is such a thing), but I would make the observation that we don't know by how much Gaga missed out. It is possible that it was very tight between the top 7 or 8 for all the awards, SAG, BAFTA, etc, and so there was an element of luck in who got nominated for what.

Leaving that aside, if we're looking for reasons, yeah, clearly the movie could have been better, and having to put on the accent was no help to Gaga. Did anyone else invloved in the project, Ridley included, take it quite as seriously as Gaga ? 

This was my thoughts as well. Gaga put her all into this performance, and thought of everything in regards to Patrizia's life (as well as her hair & make-up team, with Freddie producing a 400+ map of her hair journey). But, to me (from what I've read), it felt like Ridley & say, some of his team, like the cinematographer, didn't really quite take this as a passion project. His wife Giannina is one of the few to (seemingly )take it as seriously and passionately as Gaga. Like, I'm not trying to hate on Sir Ridley - he's a competent leagend at the very least, but aside from Gaga, her team, and Giannina Scott (and whoever else on the crew who might have been quite enthused about it), it seemed like a different type of energy was put into it vs. say, The Last Duel, or OG Blade Runner etc. 

I too, think the nerve of doing an accent really didn't help certain ~serious cinema~ stans take it seriously as well. It was a gamble, but I admire the nerve, and honestly didn't think the accents were all that bad (except Jared who just was just taking a big gamble with his approach in general). 

Archived