MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

politics

The US diplomatically boycotts the Chinese winter Olympics

ARTPOP

Featured Posts

The Biden administration will not send an official US delegation to the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing as a statement against China's "ongoing genocide and crimes against humanity in Xinjiang," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday. 

The White House is looking to send a "clear message" that the human rights abuses in China mean there cannot be "business as usual," Psaki told reporters at a White House briefing. The move marks an escalation of pressure by the US on China over allegations of forced labor and human rights abuses in China's western region of Xinjiang, particularly against the Uyghur population and other ethnic and religious minority groups

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/06/politics/us-diplomatic-boycott-winter-olympics/index.html

Edited by ARTPOP
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 5
  • Love 1
  • ARTPOP changed the title to The US diplomatically boycotts the Chinese winter Olympics

I’m glad to read that now, some action is undertaken, but it’s obviously not enough and we need to do better in order to address the human rights violations in China. Too many countries and government officials are not talking remotely enough about this atrocity.

majkl > kitsch
  • Like 1
On 12/6/2021 at 8:40 PM, Roughhouse Dandy said:

Wish we were doing more but Good. Hopefully allies will follow suit to send an even bigger message. 

Diplomatically boycotting xyz regime does not do anything without economic embargo. The US would most likely economically boycott one of its own states rather than China. 

Economy
On 12/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, Fanta said:

I mean, the US is one to talk but I guess. The Chinese government is something else though.

At least China doesnt try to hide it

But yeah they are much worse

Edited by Economy
RAMROD
2 minutes ago, Economy said:

At least China doesnt try to hide it

But yeah they are much worse

China Gov hide a lot, they even threatened countries who are speaking out on their issues, what are you talking about? 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ na gebruik vingers aan de muur afvegen (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • Like 2
Economy
5 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

China Gov hide a lot, they even threatened countries who are speaking out on their issues, what are you talking about? 

Whether its hiding illegal espionage of its own citizens, harsh sentences when shady stuff explosednon grounds that if its classified  its "treason" to expose it (how convinient), or conspiracies that actually have some likely foundation like the US shooting down plane with its own citizens in 9/11 that was heading to pentagon and not wanting to just be frank and honest why it felt it had to do that...

The US has its own fair share of questionable humanity ethics like everyone else

Roughhouse Dandy
5 hours ago, ARTPOP said:

Diplomatically boycotting xyz regime does not do anything without economic embargo. The US would most likely economically boycott one of its own states rather than China. 

I disagree that it does nothing. China is BIG on their pride and respect; if several major nations (assuming our allies join in on the boycott) don't show up to one of the world's biggest events that they're putting on, they're losing the respect and would damage their pride along with putting a dent in expected tourist revenue. 

BUT I do agree that it isn't a major move in the least and I agree that we'd absolutely boycott a state before China. 

💜