science

Cockatoos use tree branches as tools to open fruit pits

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

Z_Ym4CGO__elI59eo7SzGNRK37qbjtYjH-3OAVf4

Some wild cockatoos whittle tree branches into utensils that they use to open and dig into the seed-laden pits, or stones, of tropical fruit.

This is the first known instance of wild, non-primate animals making and using tool sets, say Mark O’Hara and Berenika Mioduszewska at the University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna.

O’Hara, Mioduszewska and their colleagues regularly study wild Goffin’s cockatoos (Cacatua goffiniana) in Indonesia. They occasionally capture the small, white parrots and keep them in an outdoor aviary to observe their behaviour before releasing them.

“I  was just blown away seeing a [bird] using tools on it,” says O’Hara.

47378719-0-image-a-2_1630508829665.jpg

Source: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2288714-wild-cockatoos-make-utensils-out-of-tree-branches-to-open-fruit-pits/#ixzz7A6QaOVF9

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 6
  • Shook 1
Rifek

Parrots are insane. 

I have 47 parrots and they are so smart and learn fast

💩💛💩💚💩♥️💩🤍💩💙💩🖤💩💗💩💛💩💚💩♥️💩🤍💩💙💩
  • Love 1
  • Shook 3
Rocketno10
4 minutes ago, Rifek said:

Parrots are insane. 

I used to have a green cheek conure and his so smart but so mean :wtfga:love him tho, may he rest in power 

• Love 2
LateToCult
27 minutes ago, Rifek said:

Parrots are insane. 

Now what we’re not gonna do is gloss over the fact that you said you have 47 parrots like @Rocketno10 just did. How???? Eggs plain!

• LMAO 2
  • Thanks 1
Rat Boy
52 minutes ago, Rifek said:

Parrots are insane. 

Wow!! I grew up with parrots.

"f***ing rat" - @dynamite
  • YAAAS 1
Rifek
32 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

Now what we’re not gonna do is gloss over the fact that you said you have 47 parrots like @Rocketno10 just did. How???? Eggs plain!

So this is my hobby and my love since the age of 6/7. I have a few aviaries with different species and I breed them. 

• Love 2
  • Shook 2
Rat Boy
51 minutes ago, Rifek said:

So this is my hobby and my love since the age of 6/7. I have a few aviaries with different species and I breed them. 

Do you have rosellas? I remember a user here posting their flock and they had crimson rosellas.

Edited by Rat Boy
"f***ing rat" - @dynamite
Aussie

That’s not surprising. I get cockatoos come to my balcony everyday. Let me tell you, when they don’t get fed the try to crack open everything they find. 😂

• LMAO 1
Rifek
1 hour ago, Rat Boy said:

Do you have rosellas? I remember a user here posting their flock and they had crimson rosellas.

Yeah. I have both crimson rosellas and eastern rosellas. Their whistle is incredible :sara:

• Love 1
FfFfFfFF

Video 

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►