science

Beautiful, extremely rare yellow catfish caught in the Netherlands

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

IMG_20211004_100012-1-scaled.jpg?auto=we

Like an enormous, writhing banana with gills, a bright-yellow catfish flopped out of the water and into professional angler Martin Glatz's boat

"I have never seen such a catfish before," Glatz told Live Science in a direct message. "I am still overwhelmed by it."

The whopper is a wels catfish (Silurus glanis), a large species that's native to lakes and rivers throughout Europe, according to Field & Stream. They rarely do they look as banana-hued as the fish Glatz caught; most wels catfish have dark greenish-black bodies, with a handful of mottled yellow spots, NOAA said.

The lemon-zested catfish likely has leucism, a rare genetic disorder that causes a reduction of pigmentation in skin and hair.

After taking a few photos, Glatz released the fish back into the water in hopes that it would grow "very big," perhaps giving another angler an even bigger surprise on future fishing trips.

IMG_20211009_164540-1024x567.jpg

Source - https://www.livescience.com/giant-yellow-catfish-leucism

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 3
  • Love 9
  • Shook 3
  • FfFfFfFF changed the title to Beautiful, extremely rare yellow catfish caught in the Netherlands
sarahb

Ooh it's pretty

Surprised it survived that long as a baby being bright yellow, a lot of wild albino animals don't survive to adulthood. 

sarahb
1 minute ago, Fish said:

isnt that a invasive asian species? kill the bitch. 

44 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

The whopper is a wels catfish (Silurus glanis), a large species that's native to lakes and rivers throughout Europe, according to Field & Stream. 

• Like 2
RAMROD

Love that bright yellow, so fashün! :gayhat:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝔹𝕖𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕀𝕟 𝕋𝕠𝕥𝕒𝕝 ℂ𝕠𝕟𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕝 𝕆𝕗 ℍ𝕚𝕞𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕗 (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • YAAAS 1
FfFfFfFF

News on animals with unique mutations are probably my favorite to post. :bradley:

Spoiler

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Love 4
Munchlax

Yellow catfish: I am so fab. I’m blonde. I’m skinny. I’m rich. And I’m a little bit of a fish.

Justin Drew Bieber’s Favourite Bro
  • LMAO 5
  • YAAAS 2
FfFfFfFF
19 hours ago, chromaticabase said:

Glad he left that beautiful creature back in the water. 

I was worried when I saw the pic of him holding it but thankfully he did the right thing. :applause: Others would have kept it.

dojo
14 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

News on animals with unique mutations are probably my favorite to post. :bradley:

Reveal hidden contents

isn't this mutations usually thanks to nuclear leakages and abnormal radioactive levels in soil and water? 

please correct my english, xx
FfFfFfFF
2 hours ago, dojo said:

isn't this mutations usually thanks to nuclear leakages and abnormal radioactive levels in soil and water? 

I am not a biologist, but from what I heard the link between genetic mutations and nuclear active areas is overexaggerated in pop culture and common knowledge. For instance, in Cernobyl, while certain mutations are more present than on average, they are very mild and not really detrimental for the animal life there. There are not mutant monsters roaming around and wildlife is for the most part healthy! 

Mutations are bound to occur in nature, not necessarily because of radioactivity.

• Thanks 1
FfFfFfFF
4 minutes ago, dojo said:

Enough said.

I also used to watch youtube videos abouty Cernobyl (not 100% sure this was the one, but I think so)

• Love 1