💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

Love for Sale: Reviews Thread

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

Just now, LilyLark said:

@Biagio2103pointed out that traditional pop/jazz albums, especially covers, rarely do that well via Metacritic. I agree it's weird, but it is what it is. Financial Times 5/5, even if it doesn't count for Metacritic, will probably help though because their readership is kind of Tony's type of audience.

Anyway, I'm guessing it will end up around 70-ish.

Thanks for that! Metacritic scores are questionable across the board.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Future Lovers
7 hours ago, Oyster said:

Damn Im just hoping this is not Gaga hate train time again with the reviews for HOG and this so far

I wouldn't worry, this album was never going to be a critical darling just C2C was never going to be. These are covers of songs that have been done a million times over the years done in nearly the same arrangements, that's just not gonna collect the plaudits that something like an album of new material would, no matter how good they sound. 

Borisapillar
1 hour ago, Frybean said:

Maybe the reason that C2C and L4S didn't get critical acclaim is because they're not that good

Tell us you have no taste without telling us you have no taste.

LilyLark
35 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

I genuinely expected bias towards this album because its Tony’s last :bear:

Same, tbh....that said his last two releases were a 71 and a 64 so the reviews so far are kind of par for him. James Taylor only had a 60 for his American Standards he released last year, so I guess we shouldn't be too shocked as he's an icon and fairly up there in age, too.

I do think the Financial Times is perhaps showing bias (in Tony and Gag's favor), tho, with the 5/5. Then again, the FT's readership tends to be older and kind of moderate to conservative...the types that eat up American standards (well, everyone can eat up jazz...my leftist, younger self does...but there's definitely some truth that classic jazz and standards is mostly appreciated by an older audience).

HausOfAntonio
1 hour ago, LilyLark said:

Same, tbh....that said his last two releases were a 71 and a 64 so the reviews so far are kind of par for him. James Taylor only had a 60 for his American Standards he released last year, so I guess we shouldn't be too shocked as he's an icon and fairly up there in age, too.

I do think the Financial Times is perhaps showing bias (in Tony and Gag's favor), tho, with the 5/5. Then again, the FT's readership tends to be older and kind of moderate to conservative...the types that eat up American standards (well, everyone can eat up jazz...my leftist, younger self does...but there's definitely some truth that classic jazz and standards is mostly appreciated by an older audience).

Its just unclear what standards theyre judging these albums by? Like they’re Jazz standards done immaculately by two legends either on top of their game or defying the restrictions of their age… what more do they want? You can’t really be experimental or surprising…

Future Lovers
3 hours ago, HausOfAntonio said:

Its just unclear what standards theyre judging these albums by? Like they’re Jazz standards done immaculately by two legends either on top of their game or defying the restrictions of their age… what more do they want? You can’t really be experimental or surprising…

Well no you can't and I don't think they expected them to be experimental or surprising, but approaching this critically you cannot discount the fact that this is the millionth time these songs have been done. No matter how many different table cloths you drape on a table, it's still the same table underneath. They're not going to rush to acclaim something that's already been done by quite literally hundreds of other artists for decades. 

Archived