press

Love for Sale: Reviews Thread

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chromatican

I'm extremely disappointed with these reviews. I really thought the critical tide had turned on her after ARTPOP and Joanne era, but it seems that maybe this project was a bit misguided. Hopefully it can nab a #1 debut spot since it seems critical acclaim is not coming.

ConnorFilm
1 minute ago, Chromatican said:

I'm extremely disappointed with these reviews. I really thought the critical tide had turned on her after ARTPOP and Joanne era, but it seems that maybe this project was a bit misguided. Hopefully it can nab a #1 debut spot since it seems critical acclaim is not coming.

To be fair, it’s too early to tell what the reaction may be. So far, the only review to count for MC is RS. It’s likely going to do 65-70 on MC imo. 

Twitter: @ConnorBehrens/Instagram: @ConnorBehrens

Chromatican
Just now, ConnorFilm said:

To be fair, it’s too early to tell what the reaction may be. So far, the only review to count for MC is RS. It’s likely going to do 65-70 on MC imo. 

I'm hoping for at least 75+ considering this isn't a commercial play for Tony and Gaga, acclaim matters.

1 hour ago, Justin Drew Bieber said:

They hate everything :cyanlights:

There's a Madge stan with a public Twitter account that openly hates Gaga and keeps ****ing up her Metacritic scores. 

RichAssPiss

A side project album of standards, much like a remix album, will be largely perceived as a minor work that ultimately is not essential or especially unique. The fact that Dawn of Chromatica and Love for Sale are treated as solid but not remarkable by most is pretty much as good as it gets, I think. Anything that's not an outright pan is probably as high a ceiling as you can expect. 

Biagio2103

Traditional pop albums don't normally get rave reviews or high scores, actually.

American Standard by James Taylor got 60/100 on Metacritic, and it won the Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album this year. Cheek to Cheek won with a 64/100 (barely three points higher than ARTPOP). Her biggest competition that year was Barbra Streisand's Partners, which got a 55/100. Paul McCartney won in 2013 with Kisses on the Bottom, which had a 62/100.

I'm only good at being bad

This is Tony's final album, and I'm sure it will be successful for that reason alone. The man was 92 when he recorded it, so it was never going to be his best work. It's not really one for the critics.

SadBoi808

I’d be more excited for this era if she actually gave Chromatica an era, but I’m not. I can’t bring myself to care about a jazz album. 

7 hours ago, Wixson said:

You know Slant's gonna come thru with a 2/5 at most! 

ezgif-1-e9555bc401da.thumb.gif.c96c86de3

I don’t get why a jazz album of standards by two legends can get a low score! I mean what are they basing it on??

5 hours ago, GipJo said:

The way Rolling Stone disrespects Tony with the last sentence, how dare he?

Disrespectful? It was a joke, it’s actually praise

LilyLark
1 minute ago, Aussie said:

I don’t get why a jazz album of standards by two legends can get a low score! I mean what are they basing it on??

@Biagio2103pointed out that traditional pop/jazz albums, especially covers, rarely do that well via Metacritic. I agree it's weird, but it is what it is. Financial Times 5/5, even if it doesn't count for Metacritic, will probably help though because their readership is kind of Tony's type of audience.

Anyway, I'm guessing it will end up around 70-ish.

Archived