politics

Election Day in Germany, Angela Merkel will retire

TheSlash

Featured Posts

TheSlash

Today is the election day for the upcoming Bundestag in Germany. After 16 years as chancellor, Angela Merkel will go into her earned retirement. But that leaves the question for who to follow into her footsteps. Over the last months, the 3 most promising chancellor candidates competed and did their best to promote their party and their capability for chancellery and representing Germany internationally. The candidates are (ranked by current trends):

Olaf Scholz, SPD (Social Democratic Party)

olaf-scholz-150~_v-gseagaleriexl.jpg

Armin Laschet, CDU (Christian Democratic Union)

armin-laschets-letztes-aufbaeumen.jpg

Annalena Baerbock, Bündnis 90/Die Grünen (the Green Party)

das_ist_der_erste_spot_fuer_annalena_bae

Polling stations opened nation-wide at 8am (roughly an hour ago) and eligible voters have the chance to vote until 6pm CEST (in roughly 9 hours). Due the ongoing pandemic, the postal votes reached an all time high.

Once polling stations close, I will update the OP with the results.

To the Germans: Did you already vote? If not, do you know who to vote for?

To the non-Germans: Who do think will win? And who do you hope for? In the end, you will see one of the 3 above in the next (at least) 4 years representing Germany and talking with other heads of states.

EDIT 6.05pm:

Polling stations just closed and here is the forecast:

CDU/CSU - 25%

SPD - 25%

AfD - 11%

FDP - 11%

Die Linke - 5%

Bündnis 90/Die Grünen - 15%

Others - 8%

I hope CDU doesn't come through :ohno:

EDIT: Here's the latest extrapolation from around 1am

20210927-052233.jpg

EDIT: These are the preliminary results at around 5 to 7am (the opaque bars are the results of the 2017 election)

Screenshot-20210927-082050-Chrome.jpg

SPD and Grüne coming through :bradley: - CDU needs to take several seats now :bye: .

Edited by TheSlash
Licensed mess since 1995
  • Like 1
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheSlash

• Supersonic

• AndiGaga

• Yennefer Stark

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ich hoffe, die CDU geht endlich in die Opposition. 16 Jahre haben sie das Gesundheitswesen kaputt gespart, nichts fürs Klima gemacht und sich gegen Gleichberechtigung eingesetzt. Time is up 

Well he flopped at his voting booth, folding his ballot the wrong way so everyone could see what he voted for - which breaks the rules. At least he voted for himself, but chile Other than t

Voted just a few minutes ago! 

TheSlash

Here are portraits for the 3 candidates. Please be aware that the mentioned trends in the videos are from 5 months ago :bear: .

Edited by TheSlash
Licensed mess since 1995
Fantina

Good luck to everyone from Germany. Hopefully it all goes well. :runhug:

The only thing I know about German political parties is sadly the Afd because of that cringey Megan Trainor video. Glad to see they aren't among the popular ones. 

STREAM LEGENDARY ON HBO MAX
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
TheSlash
2 minutes ago, Noah said:

Voted just a few minutes ago! 

I'm gonna go around 2pm :legend:

21 minutes ago, Fantina said:

Good luck to everyone from Germany. Hopefully it all goes well. :runhug:

The only thing I know about German political parties is sadly the Afd because of that cringey Megan Trainor video. Glad to see they aren't among the popular ones. 

Megan Trainor? What did I miss? :gum:

Licensed mess since 1995
  • YAAAS 1
Fantina
7 minutes ago, TheSlash said:

I'm gonna go around 2pm :legend:

Megan Trainor? What did I miss? :gum:

All I know is that a while ago someone made a All About That Bass parody of the Afd and their leader ( it was a woman can't remember the name). :ladyhaha:

STREAM LEGENDARY ON HBO MAX
Schizophonic

i will vote after lunch... but to be honest... i still don't know who i want to. ore for. 

but i will. 

• Love 1
BornAsUnic0rn
Just now, Ororo Munroe said:

Who are we rooting for, Germans? :party:

Greens & SPD in hope to get them to reach a majority together, it’s tight.

But in general everyone but AfD (they are a right wing nationalist party and no other party wants to work with them, so every percent they achieve is a lost one) and the CDU (christian democratic party) because they were the strongest party in Germany for 16 years, so they governed for almost 2 decades and they play a strong part in why we stand where we stand socially and regarding climate change. 

Zeitgeist

Ich hoffe, die CDU geht endlich in die Opposition. 16 Jahre haben sie das Gesundheitswesen kaputt gespart, nichts fürs Klima gemacht und sich gegen Gleichberechtigung eingesetzt. Time is up :fthis:

ArtRave 03.10.2014 Hamburg / JWT 24.01.2018 Hamburg
  • YAAAS 5
  • Thanks 2
BornAsUnic0rn
15 minutes ago, Fantina said:

All I know is that a while ago someone made a All About That Bass parody of the Afd and their leader ( it was a woman can't remember the name). :ladyhaha:

Fun fact, said leader (Frauke Petry) actually left the party since then.

• YAAAS 1
M i K E Y

I‘m going to vote later this day. I won’t give my voice to any of those 3 tho

My debut album ''Dance Floor Melancholy'' is out July 2nd!
  • Like 2
BornAsUnic0rn
1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Ich hoffe, die CDU geht endlich in die Opposition. 16 Jahre haben sie das Gesundheitswesen kaputt gespart, nichts fürs Klima gemacht und sich gegen Gleichberechtigung eingesetzt. Time is up :fthis:

Exakt. Die CDU redet davon, dass es eine Richtungsentscheidung ist, und stehen bleiben und alles wichtige blockieren, selbst wenn die eigene Kanzlerin dafür plädiert, ist weder ein Schritt nach vorne, noch ein Schritt zurück.

Stehen bleiben, in einer Welt die sich verändert, verdient keine Regierungsverantwortung.

• Thanks 1
HermioneT

Just came back from voting, but I'm not hopeful for a long needed change. It going end with a grand coalition anyway.

But I don't care much for what happens in Berlin anymore at all.

I'm rooting for my local green candidate who is doing really great work and is pretty much the only politician I know who not just talks, but actually changes stuff. I once wrote to him once because trains stopped less frequently at my station for no reason. He put in a request asap and a month later we had our hourly stops back:tony:

She / hers
  • YAAAS 3
  • TheSlash changed the title to Election Day in Germany, Angela Merkel will retire