science

FDA panel votes against boosters for general population

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

Ikvs

I feel like they might want to reserve the vaccines for older people and then maybe open up boosters for the rest. There's countries applying boosters to every age range already.

• Like 2
LibraLove

It's non-binding and a "recommendation" from a group with no actual decision-making authority.

Though, I'm gonna go out here on a limb and say that these people who are to actually make the decision in the coming days are probably appointees. If they are and don't do the right thing to end this mess, they need to go. This administration has been extremely lazy about firing appointees (from any era/President) that do not have the best interests of the public in mind, like DeJoy at the US Postal Service, for example. 

If they are not appointees, then they should resign.

• Thanks 1
LIKELADYAGAGA
25 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

why tho? 

All I know is that the World Health Organization is against it because it takes doses away from poorer countries prolonging the time it takes to vaccinate the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
Wolf

I think it's more of a supply issue because, why else wouldn't they want boosters? Developing countries need to recover from this pandemic as well. I think that's a good decision.

• Like 3
Willco
32 minutes ago, LibraLove said:

It's non-binding and a "recommendation" from a group with no actual decision-making authority.

Though, I'm gonna go out here on a limb and say that these people who are to actually make the decision in the coming days are probably appointees. If they are and don't do the right thing to end this mess, they need to go. This administration has been extremely lazy about firing appointees (from any era/President) that do not have the best interests of the public in mind, like DeJoy at the US Postal Service, for example. 

If they are not appointees, then they should resign.

I’m not American, but I was under the impression the FDA was the one who issued the usage (emergency use) of all covid vaccines in the United States? Wouldn’t they be the ones to allow booster shots?

gypsy101
26 minutes ago, LIKELADYAGAGA said:

All I know is that the World Health Organization is against it because it takes doses away from poorer countries prolonging the time it takes to vaccinate the world.

does WHO have anything to do with the FDA or CDC?

PartySick

Um. I better be getting another needle in my arm in January like the CDC recommends :laughga:

2 hours ago, LIKELADYAGAGA said:

This can't be it.

Not only do I assume the boosters are different from the initial doses (could definitely be wrong about that), they wouldn't stop booster shots to save on supplies. They'd start with the fact that every state is already throwing out millions of doses because people aren't taking them.

Edited by PartySick
Typo
Grab my crotch, twist my knees, then I'm through. Mike's bad, I'm bad, who are you?
  • Like 1
Morphine Prince
10 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Um. I better be getting another needle in my arm in January like the CDC recommends :laughga:

This can't be it.

Not only do I assuming the boosters are different from the initial doses (could definitely be wrong about that), they wouldn't stop booster shots to save on supplies. They'd start with the fact that every state is already throwing out millions of doses because people aren't taking them.

The booster doses are just another of the same dose of the vaccines, as far as I know. You could hypothetically go into a pharmacy and lie and say it's your first dose. But I wouldn't recommend doing something like that unless of course you are desperate and health officials are being totally incompetent.

This panel claims there is not enough data to justify booster shots for everyone. They have only recommended it for those 65+, especially those with serious pre-existing conditions. 

• Thanks 1
PartySick
42 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

You could hypothetically go into a pharmacy and lie and say it's your first dose.

That would be the most Florida thing I've ever done. If they are the same, it's  shame they won't allow otherwise wasted doses to go towards people who want the booster.

I hope it's all sorted before long. That needle poke and a piece of fabric on my face is the only thing coming between me and the rest of this:

Florida.png

Like, by all means prioritize the ones that are most vulnerable but vaccine shortages are absolutely not a thing in the US so...I want mine too please :icega:

Grab my crotch, twist my knees, then I'm through. Mike's bad, I'm bad, who are you?
  • LMAO 1
littlepotter

Good, if the USA and Europe can stop hoarding resources that would be great

mercurial era
  • Thanks 1
Lona Delery

yea get ppl in developing countries vaccinated first. makes no sense to offer booster shots rn

Edited by Lona Delery
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride
  • Like 2
LibraLove
17 hours ago, Willco said:

I’m not American, but I was under the impression the FDA was the one who issued the usage (emergency use) of all covid vaccines in the United States? Wouldn’t they be the ones to allow booster shots?

They haven't made the decision yet. This is an advisory group.

• Morphine Prince changed the title to FDA panel votes against boosters for general population